PDA

View Full Version : Cries of reverse discrimination show U.S. isn't 'post-racial' (Kansas City Star)

bobbyw24
07-27-2009, 05:31 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/637/story/1347210.html

Cries of reverse discrimination build to a chorus
By SCOTT CANON
The Kansas City Star

A black president tabs a Latina for the Supreme Court. She had made a ruling against white firefighters. That ruling gets reversed by her prospective high-court colleagues.

It was pretty easy to guess what would come up in her confirmation hearings.

America, it seems, isn’t over race after all.

Rather, now the race card is being dealt in every direction.

More and more whites — weary of a generation of minority racial preferences, fighting for scraps in a feeble economy, feeling the sting of skin color as a disadvantage — are joining minorities in crying foul.

“The pendulum is swinging where people are challenging things on both sides,” said Denise Drake, a Kansas City employment lawyer. “Everybody is saying, ‘You don’t get to consider race at all.’ ”

Earlier this month, two of Kansas City’s white budget analysts filed suit against City Manager Wayne Cauthen, who is black, and the city, claiming that age and race discrimination led to the losses of their jobs and the retention of minority workers.

Their attorney accused the city of a “whites need not apply” policy. (Mayor Mark Funkhouser and his wife were the subject of a just-settled racial discrimination lawsuit brought by an African-American woman.)

Advocates of affirmative action say that just because a clueless boss sometimes impedes a white guy instead of a minority does not mean the playing field has been leveled.

Yet they see a series of court rulings, most recently in the New Haven, Conn., firefighters case, seemingly chip away at how far an employer can go to overcome generations of discrimination that favored whites over minorities.

To Dennis Egan, who has represented women newscasters in Kansas City in sex-discrimination cases, it is a case of “conservatives all of a sudden back(ing) the issue of discrimination when it happens to be nonminorities forwarding the case.”

In 2007, writing on a case unrelated to employment discrimination, Chief Justice John G. Roberts seemed to signal the Supreme Court’s shift: “The way to stop discrimination on the basis of race is to stop discriminating on the basis of race.”

Fred L. Pincus, a University of Maryland sociologist who wrote the book “Reverse Discrimination: Dismantling the Myth,” argues that systemic racism is still in place.

“People have the mistaken impression that we’re in a post-racial society now that we’ve elected Barack Obama as president,” Pincus said. “In the best of all possible worlds, people should be judged in a colorblind way, but we’re not there yet.”

From 1998 to 2008, the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission recorded a 45 percent rise in race-based discrimination claims filed by whites. (The agency shuns the term “reverse discrimination.”) Today, complaints from whites of racism make up 10.4 percent of all complaints to the agency, up from 8.5 percent in 1998.

That trend stretches at least back to the case of Allan Bakke, a white medical school applicant who was twice denied entry by the University of California-Davis in the late 1970s. The Supreme Court ultimately faulted the school for shutting Bakke out while it let minorities with lower test scores in.

Bakke’s name has been a rallying cry ever since.

Sure enough, white men, with the notable exception of the U.S. president, still run our world. They dominate Wall Street and Hollywood. They own and run the largest media companies. The U.S. Senate has but one African-American member, although more than a few women.

Yet not all white men run the world, or belong to the right clubs, attend the best schools or have uncles in the executive suite.

And when they feel stiffed in competition with minorities, whites have taken action.

•In 2001, Ford Motor Co. paid $10.5 million to settle two class-action lawsuits filed by older, white men who claimed they had been mistreated by the automakers’ efforts to develop a more diverse work force.

•A Jackson County jury in 2005 awarded Sue Gorker $311,600 after deciding that race was a factor in Kansas City School District officials’ decision not to renew her contract as vice principal of Paul Robeson Middle School.

•In 2006, heterosexuals in the gay resort village of Provincetown, Mass., complained that they were taunted as “breeders” and were the targets of flippant accusations of homophobia.

•Clay County Assistant Prosecutor Melissa Howard last year won $2.1 million in a jury verdict after she contended she was passed over for a Kansas City judgeship because she was white. She argued that the City Council did not nominate her for the post because it wanted a racial minority to fill the post. The case is under appeal.

•In May, a white woman from Texas filed suit claiming that Hispanic colleagues at an assisted-living center harassed her for not speaking Spanish. The month before, the EEOC brokered a settlement for three white faculty members in a case against Benedict College, a historically black institution in Columbia, S.C.

Mark Jess, a Kansas City lawyer who represented the plaintiffs in three cases of whites claiming racial favoritism, contends that in the same way “old boy” networks hoard business among a mostly white country-club set, urban city halls and school districts can run on a spoils system for minorities.

“I see way too much evidence of people in the majority being discriminated against because of their race,” Jess said.

So did 20 firefighters, most of them white, in New Haven. That city prepared an extensive promotions exam for the department and gave test-takers a detailed idea of what would be covered. When no blacks passed the exam, the city feared being the target of a lawsuit for relying on a test that had a disparate impact on minorities. The city dumped the results.

That inspired a lawsuit from firefighters who had done well on the test. As a federal appeals judge, Sonia Sotomayor, Obama’s Supreme Court nominee, backed the city. But this summer, the Supreme Court ruled that the city’s action amounted to racial discrimination.

The case was an overdue message that past discrimination against blacks or Hispanics is no justification for policies that put whites at a disadvantage today, said Ward Connerly. His American Civil Rights Institute led the Proposition 209 charge that eliminated race-based preferences in California colleges and state employment. The group failed to get a similar measure on the ballot in Missouri in 2008.

“What has changed, and it’s been growing, is frustration on the part of whites, especially white males, about remaining silent on what they regard as very unfair,” Connerly said.

Employment law analysts said the court’s ruling requires more careful hiring standards. Some analysts, such as University of Missouri-Kansas City law professor Nancy Levit, said the ruling could unfairly penalize employers that try to diversify their work forces.

“Employers should be free to worry about discriminatory effect” — shying away from tests that one racial group tends to fail — “without that worry itself being considered a discriminatory motive,” Levit said.

Others see the conservative majority of the Supreme Court — which traditionally sides against “activist” opinions that impose moral judgments beyond precedent or constitutional interpretation — lending a more sympathetic ear to white litigants.

Americans seem to have conflicted views about balancing a desire to overcome discrimination against minorities while protecting the rights of white people. For decades, polls have shown support for policies that improve diversity and overcome past discrimination. But when asked about giving preferences to racial groups, Americans’ support for affirmative action drops quickly.

It has not been a hot-button issue because most people say they have not felt a direct impact from affirmative action. In a Pew Research Center poll conducted in 2007, 5 percent of respondents said they had been helped by affirmative action, 10 percent said they had been hurt by it and 82 percent it said they had not been affected.

“People generally still believe you’re able to improve your lot in life and you’re still able to rise,” said Karlyn Bowman, a polling analyst for the American Enterprise Institute. “As long as most people have been able to rise, even though they recognize discrimination might go on, they don’t think too much of it.”

fedup100
07-27-2009, 08:29 AM
Am I the only one noticing that we are told the black population is only13% of the total usa population. Yet, it seems that with the king zero, we have come under black rule now. every movie and I do mean ALL have the black people as the leaders, those in charge, the most brilliant scientists and of course the President or a general in charge. While the white person is the idiot or one that needs leading. Same for commercials.

The commercials pre-king zero were 30 to 40 % blacks in all of them, after the election now, I see that is bumped up to 99.9% of all commercials have at least one black and now I see nothing but ALL black commercials. Oh yes, I hear the racist shit coming my way as I write this, I do not give a tinkers damn, this is just wrong.

Do you people really think giving the rule of our country over to a tiny sliver of the population that have proven they have never, ever been able to sustain a safe, clean, prosperous country without total corruption and a complete collapse of all infrastructure is a good idea.

Of course you don't, but the elite and the elite controlled media think it is a jim dandy of an idea and they will and have shamed all of us into accepting it. Now we as white people can just lay down and die, it is now a black nation.

Please google South Africa and or Rhodesia and read the horror of what is left of those countries. They were beautiful, clean and prosperous and now they are squalor. Oh you think it won't happen here. WAKE up people, go look at any inner city, take a hard look at Detroit, that is the plan for all of the usa.

I and a friend ( a panamanian) had to go to Walmart in seattle yesterday. Our jaw dropped as we shopped along side the "other" and I mean strange flesh of all kinds, non americans in weird garb and burkas were the majority. A white person was a speck in sea of teaming humanity that had on viels and head gear and not one of them spoke english. As we walked down the isles, the mumblings and strange languages were dominant along with something I have never witnessed in the usa, extreme body odor. The stink of most of these people would have gagged a maggot.

Same fro restuarants. I went to one in Kirkland, Wa last week, this is one of the most upscale neighborhoods anywhere. The doors were open due to warm weather. The owners and workers appeared to be persian looking. The smell of body odor gushed through the door as I walked in. I turned around and walked out.

People, we have lost the constitution (except the 16th amendment) we have lost the bill of rights and you can work till kingdom come to reinstate them. But my question is this. How do you as a white american ever again have your real actual country back. The answer is you will not for you have been invaded and conquered by teaming hordes of others and I predict they plan on erasing you, the white DNA!

BenIsForRon
07-27-2009, 08:38 AM
Hey fedup100, meet your future son-in-law.
http://scrapetv.com/News/News%20Pages/Everyone%20Else/images-3/you-gonna-get-raped.jpg

specsaregood
07-27-2009, 08:58 AM
Yet, it seems that with the king zero, we have come under black rule now. every movie and I do mean ALL have the black people as the leaders, those in charge, the most brilliant scientists and of course the President or a general in charge. While the white person is the idiot or one that needs leading. Same for commercials.

I don't watch tv and don't go to the movies; but I did a quick scan of the current top 10 http://www.imdb.com/chart/ and didn't find a single movie in there where the leading role was a black person. And only 1 where I saw a black person in a supporting role. Where are these ALL movies?

Edit: and seeing how the media influences kids; I don't see anythign particularly wrong with black characters providing positive role models in movies. I guess you would prefer it if the black actors only played thugs and thieves and servants in the movies?

torchbearer
07-27-2009, 08:59 AM
I don't watch tv and don't go to the movies; but I did a quick scan of the current top 10 http://www.imdb.com/chart/ and didn't find a single movie in there where the leading role was a black person. And only 1 where I saw a black person in a supporting role. Where are these ALL movies?

Madea. MA to the D.E.A.

fedup100
07-27-2009, 11:22 AM

Edit: and seeing how the media influences kids; I don't see anythign particularly wrong with black characters providing positive role models in movies. I guess you would prefer it if the black actors only played thugs and thieves and servants in the movies?

Since you don't watch T.V., you don't need to comment. Don't know where you checked on the "movies" but you are dead wrong. the made for TV movies are all PC correct on steroids. Most of the sheep are too managed and fearful to spell it out, I'm not. Someone has to say this.

Good role models are great. To put the white man as the thieves robbers and crack whores while showing the children that only the blacks are the generals etc: is brainwashing at the very least. By the way, I'm not seeing mexican Presidents or generals or scientists that save the world, but I am sure that is coming.

The white man built, invented, feed and defended the world and now he is a dirty word in this country and the world. remember my words, all of you will rue the day you fell for this manufactured fairy tale and brought disgrace and poverty upon you and your children's heads.

BoogerSnax
07-27-2009, 12:52 PM
KC is a great place to see how human race reality plays out. It always has been and it always will be.

It's us and them, 3 way. Black, white, hispanic. There is a bit of mingling, but more to do with socio economic situations than color "blindness".

BenIsForRon
07-27-2009, 01:08 PM
Hey fedup100, I found this really scary picture about the future of our race intermingling, what do you think:

http://universitychic.com/files/Interracial-Online-dating-couple.jpg

OH JESUS MAKE IT GO AWAY!

klamath
07-27-2009, 01:45 PM
Hey fedup100, I found this really scary picture about the future of our race intermingling, what do you think:

http://universitychic.com/files/Interracial-Online-dating-couple.jpg

OH JESUS MAKE IT GO AWAY!

Benis! I didn't know you had mean streak in you. You are going to give the man a heart attack:D

BenIsForRon
07-27-2009, 01:52 PM
(Ben) is for (Ron)

I'm just sharing the horrible pictures I've seen corrupting our pure, white youth.

Mrs.Joe
07-27-2009, 02:36 PM
I just dont understand why everyone has to put a label on everything and everything boils down to race. Its old and I am sick of hearing about it..If you be black, white, latino, chinese, japanese whatever..if youre a douche youre a douche...theres no fixing that.