PDA

View Full Version : Debate Format:

UtahApocalypse
06-03-2007, 07:41 PM
Tonight's Democratic debate on CNN used the "give and take" format. Questions were answered and Wolf decided how much time would be allowed.The debate was also in 2 parts. Direct questions from wolf, then followed by a townhall of NH resident questions. My question is this...

Will this debate format be more favorable for Ron Paul?

DavyDuke17
06-03-2007, 07:53 PM
I think that the format is going to be great for him.. because if they know you disagree with the point being made, they will give you time on it. This will mean more time for Paul than usual since he's just about the only dissenter among the other 9 republicans that are basically the same people.

Kandilynn
06-03-2007, 07:56 PM
It could be great, and I'm expecting it to be awesome for him. I think that him having a chance to disagree with the other candidates and give his opinion on things will get him a chance to get some of his ideas out there that haven't been heard before.

tnvoter
06-03-2007, 08:10 PM
Yeah, the main thing is he'll get to give explanations and facts behind his opinions, which scares the b'heyzues out of the other candidates. Ron Paul is going to educate them.

AlexAmore
06-03-2007, 08:10 PM
Maybe you guys haven't seen this chart. The format may be good but Blitzer interrupted the lower tier candidates much quicker and more frequently than higher tier who got all the time in the world to talk.

http://chrisdodd.com/nh_debate/chart.jpg

DjLoTi
06-03-2007, 08:15 PM
The more the other republican candidates talk, the more damage is done to their own campaign. Ron Paul has the ability to throw out confirmations while reasserting his own idealogical philosophies in a format such as this.

DavyDuke17
06-03-2007, 08:15 PM
Yeah, that concerns me, but I just don't think that McCain and Giuliani are smart enough to use up time. They just don't have facts to spill.. it doesn't take long for Rudy to say "9/11". The top tier republicans will be going for soundbites, and Paul will be the one that ends up making sense.

dude58677
06-03-2007, 08:16 PM
This poll was spammed and all the posts giving support for the debate format is all one person using different id's. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Gee
06-03-2007, 08:16 PM
RP has a tendency to ramble some times... If he does, Blitzer could cut him short. But if he sticks to the topic at hand, he could do really well, since he generally needs more time to explain his positions. Blitzer seemed to try to get the dems to actually directly answer the questions, and if he does that to the GOP RP should have a nice advantage since he does actually answer questions.

kylejack
06-03-2007, 08:19 PM
It could be great, and I'm expecting it to be awesome for him. I think that him having a chance to disagree with the other candidates and give his opinion on things will get him a chance to get some of his ideas out there that haven't been heard before.

Gravel got 5.5 minutes.

wecandoit
06-03-2007, 08:29 PM
I'm undecided, it's going to be a double edged sword. I'm worried about a plant in the audience asking Paul something like "why do you think prostitution would be good for America?" or some other trap question, with Rudy or others already knowing what the question will be, lying in wait with a speech written response.

On the positive side with this format, RP could score some major points.

I don't trust Wolf Blitzer though.

tnvoter
06-03-2007, 09:08 PM
Maybe you guys haven't seen this chart. The format may be good but Blitzer interrupted the lower tier candidates much quicker and more frequently than higher tier who got all the time in the world to talk.

http://chrisdodd.com/nh_debate/chart.jpg

Good point.

but Paul was very good with Wolfe on CNN -- I think he'll be treating him fairly well.

angelatc
06-03-2007, 09:17 PM
The post debate on-line show featured comments from viewers, and there were a lot of people who said thay wanted to see equal time for each participant. It's a long shot but maybe they'll listen.

DjLoTi
06-03-2007, 09:21 PM
I'm worried about a plant in the audience asking Paul something like "why do you think prostitution would be good for America?"

I doubt that would happen because there's going to be a majority talk about the war, the government and the economy, I don't think that would ever come up on a national debate like that. Not this early on. That would be crazy to bring that topic up when there's so much more issues then prostitution in the United States. I doubt they'd even bring up hemp. Or the internet censorship issue. I expect to see a majority of the talk to be about the war and the economy. It'll sure be exciting to see.

Dave
06-04-2007, 01:18 PM
Did you notice the 'big 3' were in the center of the stage and everyone else was on the outside of them. Gravel and Kucinich were at either end. I don't think this was an accident - or the pathetic amount of time given to the others.

We'll see CNN's hand when the candidates take their place on stage.

beermotor
06-04-2007, 01:41 PM
This poll was spammed and all the posts giving support for the debate format is all one person using different id's. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

VOTE EARLY,

VOTE OFTEN!

Bob Cochran
06-04-2007, 01:54 PM
I personally think Ron Paul should go for Rudy's jugular, albeit in a restrained and gentlemanly way. Dr. Paul can't for one nanosecond act scared of nor intimidated by Rudy, and could be well served by going on the offensive if he gets the chance...again, in a genteel but high-impact way.

There are situations where people need to see you've got a pair.