PDA

View Full Version : Facebook vs Google - the war is coming!

Matt Collins
07-26-2009, 06:47 PM
Great Wall of Facebook: The Social Network's Plan to Dominate the Internet — and Keep Google Out

http://www.wired.com/techbiz/it/magazine/17-07/ff_facebookwall

qh4dotcom
07-26-2009, 07:34 PM
Considering how many accounts Facebook disables every day and its crappy customer Service, I doubt they will be a threat to Google...plus Google offers more services anyway...Facebook doesn't offer webmail, etc.

Matt Collins
07-26-2009, 07:41 PM
Considering how many accounts Facebook disables every day and its crappy customer Service, I doubt they will be a threat to Google...plus Google offers more services anyway...Facebook doesn't offer webmail, etc.
Did you read the article? :confused:

qh4dotcom
07-26-2009, 07:44 PM
Yes I read it...so? Facebook will never become the #1 most trafficked website on the Internet like Google currently is.

silverhandorder
07-26-2009, 07:57 PM
They can't make a profit but they will kill google? LOL

I use facebook because I like to be noisy in my friend's lives and it is a good chance to find attention whores on facebook. Same goes for me I like to brag but don't like to be too obvious.

In any case I would never consider using facebook for search or anything else this article suggests. It's some nerd writer imagining things.

coyote_sprit
07-26-2009, 07:59 PM
Connect and Open Stream don't just allow users to access their Facebook networks from anywhere online. They also help realize Facebook's longtime vision of giving users a unique, Web-wide online profile. By linking Web activity to Facebook accounts, they begin to replace the largely anonymous "no one knows you're a dog" version of online identity with one in which every action is tied to who users really are.
Fuck that and fuck Wired, Facebook is like MySpace and will soon be replaced by something else, Google on the other hand has always been the top dog of the search engines.

Kotin
07-26-2009, 08:06 PM
who cares..

ctiger2
07-26-2009, 08:25 PM
Google on the other hand has always been the top dog of the search engines.

until something better comes along... and it will sooner than later.

thasre
07-26-2009, 08:35 PM
I can't say I particularly care... but in my experience people get fed up with Facebook quickly and easily and either stop using it altogether or complain about how much they use it, whereas everyone loves Google.

So... if Facebook thinks they're going to "take down" Google or whatever, they're in for an epic fail.

james1906
07-26-2009, 08:38 PM
I prefer icanhasrawnpol

Bodhi
07-26-2009, 08:40 PM
Google on the other hand has always been the top dog of the search engines.

You must be young, the big G didn't even exist until 1998. Believe it or not, the internet was around before 98, and before Google. Even to this day Yahoo, Msn, and other search engines get 30% or so of all searches. Google is the top dog now for sure, but it was not ALWAYS that way.

UnReconstructed
07-26-2009, 10:03 PM
who cares..

word

muh_roads
07-26-2009, 10:59 PM
YouTube - In the Year 3000 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bmk9CjEha8A)

coyote_sprit
07-26-2009, 11:08 PM
You must be young, the big G didn't even exist until 1998. Believe it or not, the internet was around before 98, and before Google. Even to this day Yahoo, Msn, and other search engines get 30% or so of all searches. Google is the top dog now for sure, but it was not ALWAYS that way.

I know this, what I meant to imply is that Google has held the top position since the early 2000s and Social Networking sites have done nothing but come and go.

Peace&Freedom
07-27-2009, 01:02 AM
Google was CIA funded from jump and is a government op. Facebook is government monitored and data mined, to aid in government ops. I don't see a difference.

Vessol
07-27-2009, 01:10 AM
Both Elephants in the room, I rarely visit or use either.

coyote_sprit
07-27-2009, 01:11 AM
Google was CIA funded from jump and is a government op. Facebook is government monitored and data mined, to aid in government ops. I don't see a difference.

Google is actually useful.

Matthew Zak
07-27-2009, 09:58 AM
I have a facebook account, but I actually use google.

Aurelia
07-27-2009, 10:31 AM
The 'war' between facebook and google would really be a war on privacy (if you actually think facebook is private), judging by the article. If Google's dying to get their hands on the personal photos and other information that is posted, facebook loses a huge user base. Who doesn't want the option to keep Google the hell away? Another application will emerge that actually does protect your privacy and many users will drift there, perhaps one that is offshore and not subject to the same kind of scrutiny.

RoyalShock
07-27-2009, 11:54 AM
The 'war' between facebook and google would really be a war on privacy (if you actually think facebook is private), judging by the article. If Google's dying to get their hands on the personal photos and other information that is posted, facebook loses a huge user base. Who doesn't want the option to keep Google the hell away? Another application will emerge that actually does protect your privacy and many users will drift there, perhaps one that is offshore and not subject to the same kind of scrutiny.

I am one who enjoys the Facebook experience, but uses Google for searching, calendaring, and news feeds.

I'm waiting for the time when Facebook screws up and royally pisses off its users for using their personal data or exposing it to outside entities. Then maybe someone will unveil a new social networking site that charges a nominal fee (something users will be ready and willing to pay after being burned by FB) so that it doesn't have to rely on targeted ad revenue to survive.

Krugerrand
07-27-2009, 12:42 PM
Things to watch for ... they own the data ... what happens when they get bought out? The parent company now owns the data.

I wouldn't be surprised to see different incentives built into store discount cards like at grocery stores. Link your store card number to your FB account and receive special discounts and offers. Link in your cable account and save $2.00 a month.

What you watch on TV, what websites you visit (if on cable in above example), what you buy are then all tied into one account. (Are you prescriptions filled at the grocery store ... that'll provide some good information, too.)

You'll save a couple bucks. All the while the advertisers will be doing the Easy Money Dance.