PDA

View Full Version : Hr 1400

tomahawk
09-25-2007, 05:42 PM
In another forum I frequent the question was asked why Dr. Paul would vote no on a bill that would put economic sanctions on Iran.

Their view is why vote no on the sanctions when they are usually used as an option instead of war. In other words instead of going to war with them right off the bat, why not hurt them economically and try to persuade them?

Link to the bill (http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?c110:1:./temp/~c1102rb93I::)

Ron Paul Fan
09-25-2007, 05:43 PM
Stay out of entangling alliances, be friends with countries, talk with countries, trade with countries. Don't enforce UN resolutions. Mind our own business!

LibertyEagle
09-25-2007, 05:44 PM
Why?

They are cooperating with the IAEA. So why is it that we should put sanctions on them?

ctb619
09-25-2007, 05:45 PM
sanctions worked wonders with Saddam Hussein....didn't hurt him in the least, but were indirectly responsible for hundreds of thousands of Iraqi deaths

Abobo
09-25-2007, 05:49 PM
Sanctions have worked SOOOOO well in reforming Cuba. *rolls eyes*

Compare Cube with China. Since we've started trading with China things are really been improving over their both economically and socially. My dad got back from a trip to China a few months ago, according to him things are really getting better over there.

bbachtung
09-25-2007, 06:07 PM
As others have noted, it helps prop up failing regimes. Castro has had the U.S. to point at as the bogeyman as to why his workers' "paradise" is not a complete success. Saddam was able to get a lot of traction out of our decade of sanctions. The bad dudes in charge of these countries are amazingly able to maintain high standards of living despite sanctions and it unites the country behind the bad dude.

LastoftheMohicans
09-25-2007, 06:57 PM
Sanctions are, or used to be, considered an act of War.

Vvick727
09-25-2007, 06:58 PM
Yeah, sanctions are a big step towards war.

I guess you could compare them to blockades set up back in the day

Too bad today, it hurts the people more than the governments

tomahawk
09-25-2007, 08:29 PM
Thanks for all of the replies