PDA

View Full Version : The United States Most Abandoned Cities

clb09
07-25-2009, 07:59 PM
http://www.forbes.com/2009/07/23/vacancy-homes-rents-lifestyle-real-estate-vacancy-cities_slide_2.html

Sandman33
07-25-2009, 08:38 PM
KALIFORNIA is about to be the most abandoned state.

Matt Collins
07-25-2009, 08:45 PM
I was suprised at Seattle and Jax and SLC and Miami. I thought Detroit would be at the top of the list however.

UnReconstructed
07-25-2009, 11:34 PM
good places to squat

Reason
07-26-2009, 01:20 AM
I thought Detroit would be at the top of the list however.

probably not considering people are moving towards lower income housing.

youngbuck
07-26-2009, 02:32 AM
I didn't particularly expect Portland or Salt Lake City to be on the list.

I wasn't surprised to see any of the NY cities, or any other northeastern city on the list though. All those places are depressed and crappy. Oh, and San Francisco too.

coyote_sprit
07-26-2009, 02:44 AM
KC is number one?

Pete
07-26-2009, 03:19 AM
Most abandoned, eh? They're going by published rental vacancy rates, which ignores properties that are truly abandoned. For your squatting pleasure: :)

YouTube - Hastily Made Cleveland Tourism Video: 2nd Attempt (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZzgAjjuqZM)

Objectivist
07-26-2009, 04:04 AM
I won't look first but give it my best guess.

Detroit
Flint
Geary
East St. Louis

I should have mentioned Las Vegas and Buffalo but I think I was thinking more in terms of Industry and not the housing bust.

Objectivist
07-26-2009, 04:23 AM
KALIFORNIA is about to be the most abandoned state.

ANd I love it! I'm sick of all the tourists in MY town.

james1906
07-26-2009, 06:43 AM
This list isn't the most abandoned cities, it's cities where the vacancy rates are rising. Many of the cities on here are cities where both the housing boom passed over and where there hasn't been a prolonged crippling rust belt economy. Kansas City, SLC, Charlotte, and Albany fit this criteria.

This just shows that the economy is now spreading to cities that were immune to it at first. Expect to see places like Houston, OKC, and Omaha on the next list.

Objectivist
07-26-2009, 04:49 PM
This list isn't the most abandoned cities, it's cities where the vacancy rates are rising. Many of the cities on here are cities where both the housing boom passed over and where there hasn't been a prolonged crippling rust belt economy. Kansas City, SLC, Charlotte, and Albany fit this criteria.

This just shows that the economy is now spreading to cities that were immune to it at first. Expect to see places like Houston, OKC, and Omaha on the next list.

Yes indeed. There would be two different classes or reasons for the declines.

heavenlyboy34
07-26-2009, 04:52 PM
Interesting, thnx.

kahless
07-26-2009, 05:21 PM
I wasn't surprised to see any of the NY cities, or any other northeastern city on the list though. All those places are depressed and crappy. Oh, and San Francisco too.

Those depressed an crappy areas in NY are still the most expensive places to live in the country. The bubble has yet to burst here it seems. The nicer areas you still do not see many houses on the market and a shack where I live sells for 250k. Not to mention an acre of land 100k+ with taxes on bare land in the 2k range.

I wonder if the bailout is still holding back allot of foreclosures here since prior to it there were many foreclosure listings.