PDA

View Full Version : Is Joe the Plumber a Libertarian Now?

clb09
07-25-2009, 07:54 PM
http://www.reuters.com/article/politicsNews/idUSTRE56N65J20090725

"Joe the Plumber," who came to symbolize U.S. taxpayer frustration during last year's election, sounds even angrier now at what he sees as excessive government spending on the economy and healthcare reform.

"The politicians in Washington are spending trillions of dollars of our money. When are Americans going to stand up and say enough is enough?" said Joe Wurzelbacher, 35, in an interview on Friday at his modest suburban Ohio home.

"Instead of spending more of our money, they should cut back like ordinary Americans are having to. Why do they think they can spend their way out of this mess?" said Wurzelbacher, referring to the $787 billion government stimulus bill.

http://scrapetv.com/News/News%20Pages/Politics/Images/joe-the-plumber-with-mccain-daughter.jpg

Epic
07-25-2009, 07:55 PM
SOunds like he's a neocon-atarian (an odd breed)

I think he'd fit in well with Newt Gingrich

t0rnado
07-25-2009, 08:16 PM
I figure we could use idiots like him and the Tea Party "conservatives" to get some seats in the House. But that is all that Joe The Plumber and neocons are useful for.

Freedom 4 all
07-25-2009, 08:26 PM
SOunds like he's a neocon-atarian (an odd breed)

I think he'd fit in well with Newt Gingrich

Lucky us, we get the scraps the neocons throw away. When Newt's hillariously overwhelming hypocracy was exposed he spouts libertarian stuff, when JTP becomes such a laughingstock that no one takes seriously anymore, he comes to us.

Bucjason
07-25-2009, 10:30 PM
Why are you people such snobs?? All this guy ever did was ask Obama a question we ALL would all have liked to ask him , and now he's an idiot that's not good enough for the party??

Explain??

This elitist attitude is a little to reminisent of the left for my taste....

Fozz
07-25-2009, 10:33 PM
No he is not a libertarian. Just because he opposes a Democrat spending excessively, just like every other mainstream Republican who is now saying that government is bad, doesn't mean he is a libertarian. He would have to oppose the Federal Reserve, the wars, and support sound money before we get excited.

angelatc
07-25-2009, 10:33 PM
Why are you people such snobs?? All this guy ever did was ask Obama a question we ALL would all have liked to ask him , and now he's an idiot that's not good enough for the party??

Explain??

This elitist attitude is a little to reminisent of the left for my taste....

I'm with ya.

Is that Megan McCain? She slammed him pretty good lately.

Bucjason
07-25-2009, 10:43 PM
No he is not a libertarian. Just because he opposes a Democrat spending excessively, just like every other mainstream Republican who is now saying that government is bad, doesn't mean he is a libertarian. He would have to oppose the Federal Reserve, the wars, and support sound money before we get excited.

Republicans have ALWAYS thoguht government is bad....it's the morons we've voted into office ( besides Ron paul and a few others) that have betrayed what we thought we were voting them in for.

Conservative Christian
07-25-2009, 10:45 PM

Explain??

This elitist attitude is a little to reminiscent of the left for my taste....

Hear! Hear!

I refer to elitist snobs in the LP (not saying they all are) as LIBERALtarians, because they run around blathering about their alleged "superiority", just like the left does.

And don't you hate it when they try to lump ALL Republicans together as neocons, and blame ALL Republicans for the crimes of the neocon leadership?!

I've been a registered Republican for years, and I've always opposed the Rockefeller/Bush neocon wing of the party. Unfortunately, they've got most of the money, so naturally they have most of the power.

Reason
07-25-2009, 10:47 PM
too bad that guy is a bigger idiot than palin.

TheConstitutionLives
07-25-2009, 10:47 PM
http://www.reuters.com/article/politicsNews/idUSTRE56N65J20090725

http://scrapetv.com/News/News%20Pages/Politics/Images/joe-the-plumber-with-mccain-daughter.jpg

Why do those quotes make you think he may be libertarian now? I hear that on every phony conservative radio show and I NEVER think "Is this guy a libertarian?"

Bucjason
07-25-2009, 10:51 PM
Hear! Hear!

I refer to elitist snobs in the LP (not saying they all are) as LIBERALtarians, because they run around blathering about their alleged "superiority", just like the left does.

And don't you hate it when they try to lump ALL Republicans together as neocons, and blame ALL Republicans for the crimes of the neocon leadership?!

I've been a registered Republican for years, and I've always opposed the Rockefeller/Bush neocon wing of the party. Unfortunately, they've got most of the money, so naturally they have most of the power.

Well said, I'm in the same boat as you !

Fozz
07-25-2009, 10:57 PM
Republicans have ALWAYS thoguht government is bad....it's the morons we've voted into office ( besides Ron paul and a few others) that have betrayed what we thought we were voting them in for.
No. Republicans only think that government is bad when the Democrats are in power, such as Congress or especially president.

Conservative Christian
07-25-2009, 11:22 PM
No. Republicans only think that government is bad when the Democrats are in power, such as Congress or especially president.

Way to paint with a wide brush, bro!

That's right, blame ALL Republicans for the crimes of the powerful elite that have seized the reins of power in the party.

Which is about as foolish as blaming all black males for the crimes of gangbangers, and blaming all Jews for the actions of the Rothschilds.

Of course, every idiot...er...elitist snob LIBERALtarian knows that the Libertarian Party (LP) is just pure as the driven snow. :rolleyes:

That's why the LP fielded a career CIA agent who voted FOR both the Iraq war and the Patriot Act, as their 2008 presidential candidate!

Talk about hypocrisy! LIBERALtarians in glass houses shouldn't throw rocks!

Thankfully, I'm intelligent and intellectually honest enough not to blame ALL Libertarians for their party's pathetic 2008 BIG GOVERNMENT PROMOTING presidential candidate.

Sadly, the "hate and blame all Republicans" hypocrite faction of the LP, obviously doesn't possess either of those qualities.

South Park Fan
07-25-2009, 11:29 PM
Way to paint with a wide brush, bro!

That's right, blame ALL Republicans for the crimes of the powerful elite that have seized the reins of power in the party.

Which is about as foolish as blaming all black males for the crimes of gangbangers, and blaming all Jews for the actions of the Rothschilds.

Of course, every idiot...er...elitist snob LIBERALtarian knows that the Libertarian Party (LP) is just pure as the driven snow. :rolleyes:

That's why the LP fielded a career CIA agent who voted FOR both the Iraq war and the Patriot Act, as their 2008 presidential candidate!

Talk about hypocrisy! LIBERALtarians in glass houses shouldn't throw rocks!

Thankfully, I'm intelligent and intellectually honest enough not to blame ALL Libertarians for their party's pathetic 2008 BIG GOVERNMENT PROMOTING presidential candidate.

Sadly, the "hate and blame all Republicans" hypocrite faction of the LP, obviously doesn't possess either of those qualities.

Ron Paul got 5% of the vote last year, so I guess only 95% of Republicans support big government. :rolleyes:

angelatc
07-25-2009, 11:54 PM
Ron Paul got 5% of the vote last year, so I guess only 95% of Republicans support big government. :rolleyes:

Even if that's true you'll never win voters over to your side by calling them and their icons stupid.

Conservative Christian
07-25-2009, 11:59 PM

Attaboy, Mr. Bob "Career CIA Agent who voted FOR both the Iraq war and the PATRIOT Act" Barr fanboy! :D

You're obviously not savvy enough to realize that most Americans, regardless of party---DON'T vote in primaries!

NOWHERE NEAR all the registered Republicans in this country voted in the primaries, so you can't intelligently claim that "95% of Republicans support big government."

On a more positive note, I realize I can't expect much intellectual comprehension out of somebody who's a fan of a pathetic show like "South Park". :p

So to all you Republican-haters I say:

Don't blame me, I voted for Chuck Baldwin!

Conservative Christian
07-26-2009, 12:16 AM
Even if that's true you'll never win voters over to your side by calling them and their icons stupid.

His statement is NOT true, but I agree with your point.

LIBERALtarians (who don't represent all Libertarians) love to go on the attack against mainstream conservatives, paleoconservatives and Christians, lumping them together with the neocons and blaming them for neocon crimes and actions.

Of course, LIBERALtarians as a group aren't intelligent enough to realize that those three groups are actually their NATURAL ALLIES.

If the LIBERALtarians were as highly intelligent and politically well-informed as they so loudly proclaim to be, you would think that they'd realize that BURNING BRIDGES with their natural allies is NOT the way to win elections!

Which is probably why after THIRTY-SIX YEARS of fielding presidential candidates, the Libertarian Party only managed to garner FOUR TENTHS OF ONE PERCENT of the popular vote last year.

NOT impressive by ANY standards.

South Park Fan
07-26-2009, 12:50 AM
First of all, I don't like Bob Barr, didn't support his nomination, and didn't vote for him in the general election. Second, when I and others talk negatively about Republicans, we are most likely talking about the neo-con majority that rules the party at the moment, the large faction that talks against big government during Democratic years but forgets all of its principles during Republican ones. If the majority of Republicans truly didn't like the elite that run their party, they would have voted them out. Are you really denying that the majority of Republicans aren't friends of freedom? Additionally, may I ask how Republicans are our "natural allies" when they have invariable supported big government during Republican administrations?

Also, why are you going to such great lengths to defend a man who supporting big government-loving John McCain?

Conservative Christian
07-26-2009, 02:16 AM
First of all, I don't like Bob Barr, didn't support his nomination, and didn't vote for him in the general election.

Congratulations, Einstein!

Myself and MILLIONS of other rank-and-file Republicans don't like John McCain and George W. Bush, didn't support their nominations, and didn't vote for them in the general elections!

You don't even have a CLUE as to how many Republicans were seriously pissed off at Bush for his reckless, runaway spending.

I was just showing you how it feels to be falsely accused of supporting people that you don't really support.

HYPOCRITES like yourself have NO problem making false accusations, but then you get all testy when they're made against you.

Keep hating all Republicans, conservatives and paleoconservatives. I don't really care. But LIBERALtarians like yourself need to stop scratching your head and looking stupid, trying to figure out why the Libertarian Party (LP) got less than ONE HALF OF ONE PERCENT of the popular vote in 2008, and ZERO electoral votes.

The LP has made virtually NO progress in presidential elections since 1972, thanks primarily to nose-in-the-air egotists who couldn't understand networking and coalition building, if it bit them in the a$$.

Thankfully there are intelligent, reasonable Libertarians who are willing to work together with Republicans, conservatives and paleoconservatives---in order to advance the cause of freedom.

If we don't hang together, we'll all be hanged separately!

South Park Fan
07-26-2009, 01:49 PM
Congratulations, Einstein!

Myself and MILLIONS of other rank-and-file Republicans don't like John McCain and George W. Bush, didn't support their nominations, and didn't vote for them in the general elections!

And once again, you don't bother to responde to the rest of my statement. I already said that I wasn't attacking ALL Republicans, just the majority that supported Bush and McCain. Why not actually respond as to why we should ally with neo-cons rather than refuting straw men.

You don't even have a CLUE as to how many Republicans were seriously pissed off at Bush for his reckless, runaway spending.

According to this: http://www.gallup.com/poll/107128/bush-approval-rating-down-60-among-republicans.aspx 60% of Republicans still approved of Bush, which for anyone who knows anything about math, is a MAJORITY. I agree that we should be trying to court that other 40%, but to say that all Republicans would make good allies simply isn't true. And it is a fact that Joe the Plumber supported big-gov't John McCain.

I was just showing you how it feels to be falsely accused of supporting people that you don't really support.

And I was never doing that. Do you deny that MOST Republicans are neo-cons or support neo-cons? If so, then facts stand in your way.

HYPOCRITES like yourself have NO problem making false accusations, but then you get all testy when they're made against you.

Man, you really LOVE straw men, don't you?

Keep hating all Republicans, conservatives and paleoconservatives. I don't really care. But LIBERALtarians like yourself need to stop scratching your head and looking stupid, trying to figure out why the Libertarian Party (LP) got less than ONE HALF OF ONE PERCENT of the popular vote in 2008, and ZERO electoral votes.

I'm not a member of the Libertarian Party and think that it's futile as well. And, once again, you constructed a straw-man, since I never said that I hated ALL Republicans, conservatives, and paleocons. Apparently you can't distinguish between not allying with neo-cons and not allying with conservatives.

The LP has made virtually NO progress in presidential elections since 1972, thanks primarily to nose-in-the-air egotists who couldn't understand networking and coalition building, if it bit them in the a$$.

I agree that the LP is a lost cause.

Thankfully there are intelligent, reasonable Libertarians who are willing to work together with Republicans, conservatives and paleoconservatives---in order to advance the cause of freedom.

As far as allying with pro-liberty Republicans, I agree. However, you don't seem willing to accept that many Republicans are anti-liberty, and will turn their back on the liberty movement the moment their guy gets elected (e.g. Bush II, Gingrich, Bush I, Reagan, Nixon, etc.)

erowe1
07-26-2009, 02:52 PM
All this guy ever did was ask Obama a question we ALL would all have liked to ask him.

Where have you been? He's done a whole lot more than that. Whether he's good for our movement or not, at the very least, he's clearly not a libertarian (which is not an insult, just a fact). I don't know why anybody would even ask that. This is like that thread not long ago declaring Sarah Palin a libertarian just because she signed that state sovereignty resolution that every single Democrat and Republican in the Alaska legislature supported.

Endgame
07-26-2009, 05:21 PM
I figure we could use idiots like him and the Tea Party "conservatives" to get some seats in the House. But that is all that Joe The Plumber and neocons are useful for.

Says the guy with an anarcho-communist flag for an avatar...

TheConstitutionLives
07-26-2009, 05:28 PM
Says the guy with an anarcho-communist flag for an avatar...

- Why do you call anarchists communists? Just b/c some anarchy movements have been used and/or infiltrated doesn't dilute the philosophy of anarchy. EVERY significant group or movement has been used before.

Bucjason
07-27-2009, 03:58 PM
Earth to all the Republican Bashers: Ron Paul is a Republican.