PDA

View Full Version : Fla Gov. Crist's Office Mistakenly Praises Nazi Film

bobbyw24
07-25-2009, 01:42 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/07/25/charlie-crists-office-mis_n_244837.html

Charlie Crist's Office Mistakenly Praises Nazi Film
digg Share this on Facebook Huffpost - Charlie Crist's Office Mistakenly Praises Nazi Film stumble reddit del.ico.us ShareThis RSS

BRENT KALLESTAD | 07/25/09 09:51 AM | AP
I Like ItI Don’t Like It
Read More: Charlie Crist, Florida, Florida Governor, John Ubel, Jud Suss, Politics News

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — Despite the content of a letter bearing his signature, Gov. Charlie Crist does not want to share an anti-Semitic movie with all Floridians.

Crist's office sent a letter thanking John Ubele for providing the governor with a copy of the film "Jud Suss." The film is recognized as one of history's most incendiary.

The brief thank-you note was dated June 30 and bore the governor's automated signature. It praised Ubele's thoughtfulness and generosity and said Crist would be delighted to share the DVD with the people of Florida.

"I was surprised considering the stigma that has been associated with the film," Ubele said Friday in an exchange of e-mails with The Associated Press. "I was even more surprised when I looked at the signature because from what I can tell it looks real."

The governor's office, however, said it was an embarrassing mistake. The signature was made by a machine and Crist never saw the letter, said Sterling Ivey, the governor's press secretary.

"We are NOT sharing the DVD with the people of Florida," Ivey said. "The governor does not support this view. The letter was sent out prior to us reviewing the DVD that was sent."

The 1940 film was produced by the Nazi propaganda arm and was a great success in Germany and abroad, although it was banned in Sweden in 1941 and has never been shown in that country.

Within the Third Reich, "Jud Suss" was the No. 1 film of the 1939-1940 season when it was seen by more than 20 million people. Anti-Jewish violence was reported after its projection in Marseille, France.

Ubele, who ran unsuccessfully for the state Legislature, is the operations manager of a group called the Nationalist Coalition that promotes "white activism."

On its Web site, the organization says it is working to "do whatever is necessary to achieve white living space and to keep it White."

ItsTime
07-25-2009, 02:00 PM
LMAO I dont know what is worse, the thank you note, or them admitting they give mouth piece thanks yous.

youngbuck
07-25-2009, 02:37 PM
LMAO I dont know what is worse, the thank you note, or them admitting they give mouth piece thanks yous.

The latter part is worse. It shows how detached they really are to our concerns.

pcosmar
07-25-2009, 02:56 PM
Wait,
You think they actually read or care what the people send them?
like you're voice means anything?

What "representative government" are you having delusions about?

GunnyFreedom
07-25-2009, 02:59 PM
Wait,
You think they actually read or care what the people send them?
like you're voice means anything?

What "representative government" are you having delusions about?

the one that I am creating within my own constituency. ;-)

pcosmar
07-25-2009, 03:09 PM
the one that I am creating within my own constituency. ;-)

I would hope to think that you will actually read stuff before sending out an automated response.
Sadly, that is rare.

GunnyFreedom
07-25-2009, 03:49 PM
I would hope to think that you will actually read stuff before sending out an automated response.
Sadly, that is rare.

While I will caveat that when trying to address the concerns of 50-100 thousand people, some level of communications automation will be required, I can absolutely assure you that I would never have done such as what this fellow did, nor will my signature ever attach itself to something I have not seen, unless I become a victim of fraud.

Matt Collins
07-25-2009, 04:23 PM
Given the FL-GOP recent purge of conservative Republicans, I have to wonder if Crist's office really meant this or not. ;)

Conservative Christian
07-25-2009, 05:24 PM
Crist is a liberal twit, but he didn't do anything wrong here.

The signature was computer generated on a letter that was prepared by one of his staffers. U.S. Senators and Congressmen have staffers who do this same thing.

I'm willing to bet that NOBODY bothered to watch the video before the letter was sent out.

Anybody who actually believes that Crist himself read the guy's letter and watched the DVD, then sat down and wrote a personal letter praising the video---needs their head examined.

Much ado about nothing, IMHO.

pcosmar
07-25-2009, 06:11 PM
Much ado about nothing, IMHO.

Perhaps.
Remember that next time you write a letter to someone in public office asking that the support the 2nd amendment, Civil Liberties, or to End the Fed.

You can expect a similar response.

angelatc
07-25-2009, 06:35 PM
Perhaps.
Remember that next time you write a letter to someone in public office asking that the support the 2nd amendment, Civil Liberties, or to End the Fed.

Still, I'd rather have an automated thank you than an entire wing dedicated to housing staffers hired to do nothing but reply to me personally.

pcosmar
07-25-2009, 06:51 PM
Still, I'd rather have an automated thank you than an entire wing dedicated to housing staffers hired to do nothing but reply to me personally.

I would not care to be responded to by a "staffer" any more than a machine.
I would expect nothing less than my concerns to be addressed. or nothing at all.
I don't need platitudes about how much they value my opinion while they are working against it.

I am about fed up with empty rhetoric, broken promises and bald faced lies. :(

I am still an Angry American.
I don't expect that to change soon.

Conservative Christian
07-25-2009, 09:26 PM
Perhaps.

You'll get the standard form letter from them, that was written by a staff member.

You can bet your sweet bippy that the elected official himself never read your letter.

Crist is a dweeb, but I'll bet the farm that he never even saw the letter or the DVD, before that letter with his computer-generated signature was mailed out by a clueless staffer.

Big whoop.

angelatc
07-25-2009, 09:33 PM
I would not care to be responded to by a "staffer" any more than a machine.
I would expect nothing less than my concerns to be addressed. or nothing at all.
I don't need platitudes about how much they value my opinion while they are working against it.

I am about fed up with empty rhetoric, broken promises and bald faced lies. :(

I am still an Angry American.
I don't expect that to change soon.

I feel your pain, but they really are too busy to answer their own phones and write personal letters in response to every one they get.

If you're longing for that personal touch, you'll have better luck getting involved in a local level.