PDA

View Full Version : Fancy Farm, July 31st-August 1st

spotics
07-24-2009, 06:27 PM
Hey guys,

I wanted to let you know that the state's biggest political festival, the Fancy Farm Picnic is coming up. This will be an incredible opportunity to let the state and the media that Rand is a strong candidate, who can and will be our next senator. The political speaking starts at 2:00 p.m. ct, but we need to be there by noon to pass out material and get our seats. We want the Republican section to be screaming Rand Paul.

Other Fancy Farm related events include:

Rand will be speaking at the McCracken County Women's Club monthly lunch on July 31st at noon at Whaler's Catch. Here is a map: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=en&geocode=&q=Whaler's+Catch&near=&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=33.352165,59.238281&ie=UTF8&om=1&ll=42.747012,-95.712891&spn=30.833586,59.238281&z=4&iwloc=A.

Rand will be speaking at the Marshall Co. Republican Party Nite fore Fancy Farm on July 31st at 6:00 p.m. in Calvert City. The event will be held at Calvert City Civic Center 1445 5th Avenue SE Calvert City, KY 42029. Begins at 6 pm CDT.

Rand will also be speaking at the Graves County GOP's breakfast on August 1st. Breakfast starts at 8:00, speaking at 9:00. The event is located at Graves County High School. A map is available on randpaul2010.com.

The Calvert City Super 8 http://www.super8calvertcityky.com/ is offering a 10% discount to anybody who identifies themselves as members of Take Back Kentucky. Calvert City is about 40 minutes from Fancy Farm.

The closest hotels to Fancy Farm are in Mayfield, and both are very close to the Graves County GOP breakfast http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g39636-Mayfield_Kentucky-Hotels.html

The nicest hotels are in Paducah, which is about 40 minutes from Fancy Farm.

See you there in a week.

TruthisTreason
07-25-2009, 02:27 PM
Spotics, I hope you are sitting down...:o

Saturday Night Marshall County Dinner, Rand is now confirmed to speak!

Which means Rand is doing all Fancy Farm GOP related events....!

spotics
07-25-2009, 02:31 PM
I've updated it. I can't believe we got the Marshall County GOP to allow Rand to speak.

TruthisTreason
07-25-2009, 02:40 PM
I've updated it. I can't believe we got the Marshall County GOP to allow Rand to speak.

Is Russ out of town? :D

Matt Collins
07-25-2009, 09:08 PM
From the KY Meetup:

Event: ‘Nite before Fancy Farm Picnic
Date: Friday, July 31, 2009
Time: 6 PM -
Friday July 31st!!! ‘Nite before Fancy Farm Picnic – hosted by the Marshall County GOP Women. Calvert City Civic Center (NEW LOCATION)1445 5th Avenue SE Calvert City, KY 42029. Begins at 6 pm CDT.

Event: McCracken County Women’s Club Meeting
Date: Friday, July 31, 2009
Time: Noon - 1 PM
The McCracken County Republican Women will hold a special meeting in recognition of Fancy Farm weekend on Friday, July 31 at noon at Whaler’s Catch, located at 123 N 2nd St in Paducah. Karen Harris Story, Vista Coordinator for Bellewood Homes for Children, will be the featured speaker.

Event: Graves County GOP Breakfast
Date: Saturday, August 01, 2009
Time: - 8:00 a.m. – 9:00 a.m. CDT
The Graves County GOP Breakfast will be held on Saturday, August 1st at the Graves County High School(Exit 24 – Purchase Parkway). Breakfast is being served from 8:00 a.m. – 9:00 a.m. CDT. The program will begin at 9:00 a.m. CDT. The tickets are $15 per person.
Location: Graves County High School(Exit 24 – Purchase Parkway).

I have a room (2 beds/non-smoking) available for Friday night at the $79 Take Back Kentucky discount rate if anyone would like it - please let me know ASAP!

"This Rand is Your Rand, this Rand is My Rand...This Rand will Stand for Liberty!!!"

In Liberty,

Christi
912candidatesky@gmail.com

Matt Collins
07-26-2009, 02:06 AM
Fancy Farm: Barbecue, barbs and boos

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20090725/NEWS0103/907260334/Barbecue++barbs+and+boos

"Fancy Farm is one of the 'can't miss' events in the Commonwealth," said Kentucky Secretary of State Trey Grayson, a Boone County Republican pondering a run for the U.S. Senate. "It's the Kentucky Derby of politics, attracting a crowd from across the state, kicking off political campaign season for the next election cycle. It's an opportunity for candidates to set the tone for campaigns with statewide media attention.

Cooked overnight in football-field length concrete pits, the barbecue pleases palates while the heckling crowds and typically steamy temperatures test the toughness and mettle of the political speakers

"It is a command performance," said Al Cross, director of the Institute for Rural Journalism and Community Issues at the University of Kentucky and a former Louisville Courier-Journal political writer. "If you're running statewide, you are expected to show up and put up with a number of things - the crowd, the heat, supporters pulling on you to say certain things, opponents yelling at you, the tradition of the event.

Cross said there is still a great value to media coverage of the event."In an age where 30-second TV commercials have way too much influence," he said, "it really is important for politicians to show up in the flesh, with the opposition sitting right there, and have at it."

On the Republican side, Grayson is offered a speaking slot by virtue of his statewide office. But he is also exploring a run for the U.S. Senate, as is Bowling Green physician Rand Paul. Paul will also be permitted to speak, as will GOP candidate Bill Johnson.

As of Friday, incumbent U.S. Jim Bunning had not confirmed his appearance. Fancy Farm Picnic Political Chairman Mark Wilson wrote in an e-mail that neither Bunning nor fellow Republican Sen. Mitch McConnell of Louisville typically confirm until a few days before the picnic

Matt Collins
07-26-2009, 02:09 AM
Politicians Prepare for Fancy Farm
http://www.kypost.com/content/news/commonwealth/story/Politicians-Prepare-For-KYs-Hot-Political-Event/Mz2WFbJ6aUGL6zAceGmpAQ.cspx

"We hope the political speeches are as spicy as the barbecue sauce," said event organizer Mark Wilson. "That's always our aim and objective."

After lunch is served and the midday temperature peaks, sweaty politicians, as well as their supporters and detractors, will gather in an open pavilion for an afternoon that's been known to include mudslinging, name-calling and heckling.

A holdover from the days before mass communications when politicians had to seek out crowds, Fancy Farm has historically been the place where candidates kicked off their campaigns.

"It's one of the few examples of real good political theater that we have," Lasley said. "It's more of a freewheeling environment that doesn't happen much in today's politics."

Some politicians tend to enjoy the atmosphere more than others.

"The key is to take it for what it is," Lasley said. "If you're going to be thin-skinned, you're not going to enjoy it. You have to like the give and take."