PDA

View Full Version : How can we stay organized after the 2008 election?

starless
09-25-2007, 04:38 PM
Regardless of the outcome of the primary race or the general election, it's very apparent that Ron Paul has managed to cause a large group of people to come together under a common banner. I think that the liberty movement needs to BE a recognized voter base... much like the "Christian right" or "gun owners". Our views are legitimate, and we have proven ourselves to be a force to be reckoned with when it comes to grassroots organization and organizing.

The recent RP appearance on MSNBC prompted me to think about this and decide to create this thread. How can we stay organized and influential for the long term? If what whatever reason RP doesn't win the nomination, are we just going to get on with our lives and lose interest in politics, or at least being active? How can we organize and become a true instrument for policy change regardless of who is in office?

Thom1776
09-25-2007, 04:44 PM
Since we'll all be "detainees", locked up for the "war on terror", we can just talk to each other during meals and before "lights out".

JosephTheLibertarian
09-25-2007, 04:45 PM
Regardless of the outcome of the primary race or the general election, it's very apparent that Ron Paul has managed to cause a large group of people to come together under a common banner. I think that the liberty movement needs to BE a recognized voter base... much like the "Christian right" or "gun owners". Our views are legitimate, and we have proven ourselves to be a force to be reckoned with when it comes to grassroots organization and organizing.

The recent RP appearance on MSNBC prompted me to think about this and decide to create this thread. How can we stay organized and influential for the long term? If what whatever reason RP doesn't win the nomination, are we just going to get on with our lives and lose interest in politics, or at least being active? How can we organize and become a true instrument for policy change regardless of who is in office?

uhh... create a moveon.org organization? but one with a libertarian ideology?

njandrewg
start a PAC
start a website with forums etc

on the website have the Ron Pauls across america info

ghemminger
call each other and have tea every sunday

Silverback
09-25-2007, 04:46 PM
I vote for making the Republican Liberty Caucus the vehicle.

It's always been really difficult to organize the libertarian movement, individualists tend to be more independent than collectivists.

Richandler
09-25-2007, 04:46 PM
Just keep educating people everyday.

fourameuphoria
09-25-2007, 04:47 PM
If Ron Paul goes back to Congress, then he'll have 10s of thousands of supporters helping out with his legislation.

M.Bellmore
09-25-2007, 04:49 PM
Since we'll all be "detainees", locked up for the "war on terror", we can just talk to each other during meals and before "lights out".

Now that's funny! I don't care who you are. (Larry the Cable Guy)

JosephTheLibertarian
09-25-2007, 04:49 PM
create an organization that gathers libertarian leaning democrats, "conspiracy theorists," libertarian leaning GOP, libertarians, anarchists; all in one place... back libertarian causes

ghemminger
09-25-2007, 04:50 PM
Now that's funny! I don't care who you are. (Larry the Cable Guy)

Wouldn't it suck to be in JAIL - I was thinking about that the other day how lucky we arre to be free

LibertyEagle
09-25-2007, 05:14 PM
I understand and all, but I hate even going here right now. It seems kind of like we are asking for a self-fulfilling prophecy, you know? That he won't win and all...

Givemelibertyor.....
09-25-2007, 05:16 PM
We should start one anyway, win or lose. President Paul is going to need our help. :)

Johnnybags
09-25-2007, 05:19 PM
with the freestaters. I am confident with the posters here we would have everything under control. It would end up being the most expensive Real estate in the USA?

Joe Knows
09-25-2007, 05:22 PM

I believe that Ron Paul will be elected President of the United States. The pendelum is swinging toward liberty. We have an uphill battle, but we can do it. Ron is the best candidate with the best message this country has seen in a generation or more. As far as us staying organized, I believe that the next step will be for every single one of us to run for every single public office in America.

Imagine a Ron Paul supporter running for your County Commission. Imagine a Ron Paul supporter running for your City Commission. Imagine a Ron Paul supporter running for School Board. Imagine a Ron Paul supporter running for the State House. Imagine a Ron Paul supporter running for Congress. Imagine a Ron Paul supporter on the ballot in every election across America.

Imagine.

bbachtung
09-25-2007, 05:42 PM
I'm sure that RP's acceptance speech will tell us what to do, and he'll be following up with his inaugural address on January 20, 2009.

Cowlesy
09-25-2007, 05:47 PM
I saw a post quickly as I scrolled through that said something like "when Ron Paul returns to Congress..."

Wtf are you talking about?

I expect to see at least a few of you as cabinet members.

Richie
09-25-2007, 05:47 PM
We each run for office. Imagine the impact we would have.

pdavis
09-25-2007, 05:49 PM
The Free State Project (http://freestateproject.org/).

JosephTheLibertarian
09-25-2007, 05:50 PM

yeah, that'd be interesting.

Richie
09-25-2007, 05:52 PM
I'm serious. It's hard to tell how many of us there are now, but there's definitely a lot. If we all registered as Republicans and ran for congress, imagine what would happen. Ron Paul would not be alone.

JosephTheLibertarian
09-25-2007, 05:54 PM
I'm serious. It's hard to tell how many of us there are now, but there's definitely a lot. If we all registered as Republicans and ran for congress, imagine what would happen. Ron Paul would not be alone.

I don't know if a Republican be win where I live....but a "ron paul republican"? perhaps

Bruehound
09-25-2007, 05:54 PM
I would strongly urge people to look into joining the Free State Project and moving to libertarian/republican New Hampshire. Concentrated activism works. It is what has kept Dr. Ron in Congress for 10 terms.

born2drv
09-25-2007, 05:55 PM
uhh... create a moveon.org organization? but one with a libertarian ideology?

Yes, exactly. But like I write JTL in a PM, we need it to be just like moveon.org, ie. it needs to be "independant sort of" ... we all know they favor the democrats, but in all likelyhood they could change if they wanted to........

our organization needs to support "good old fashioned conservatism" ... embracing "liberty and freedom", etc....

i never heard of the libertarian party before to be honest, and even if i did i probably would not have paid much attention. i was a hardened neo-con and ron paul speaking made me wake up.

unfortunately we're not going to elect a libertarian or 3rd party any time soon.

so we shouldn't get caught up in names or labels.. we need an organization focused on a PHILOSOPHY and we as the organization should support all candidates regardless of party affiliation that agree with our message.

Blowback
09-25-2007, 05:57 PM
I'd consider running for office even though I just turned 25. Hey man, at least I'm legal!

Look out dinosaur GOP!

JosephTheLibertarian
09-25-2007, 05:59 PM
I'd consider running for office even though I just turned 25. Hey man, at least I'm legal!

Look out dinosaur GOP!

you're 25.. you are eligible to run for US Congress

Givemelibertyor.....
09-25-2007, 06:03 PM
I would strongly urge people to look into joining the Free State Project and moving to libertarian/republican New Hampshire. Concentrated activism works. It is what has kept Dr. Ron in Congress for 10 terms.

That's actually something my family is considering.

You need any mechanics up in NH?

richard1984
09-25-2007, 06:20 PM
I'm sorry, but I don't think that I (or we) should stand for anything other than a Ron Paul victory!
This is too important to let slide if we don't win the nomination.

Seriously...what's the plan if Ron Paul doesn't win the nomination?

I, personally, can't fathom such a thing (I'm far too focused on/obsessed with victory).

Honestly, I'm terrified of the prospect of anything but a Ron Paul presidency...terrified and concerned to the point of refusing to accept anything else.

Has there ever been a more important presidential election in the history of the U.S.A.?
-NO!

And I, for one, will not stand by and let my/our country be hijacked by the real terrorists! :mad:

My fiancée/soul mate and I refuse to stand for tyranny! We will fight to the death for our Liberty!

I don't know about you all, but I refuse to accept anything less than victory!
My future children's lives depend on it.--The Love-of-my-life...the other half of my heart...depends on it.--I depend on it.

I'm sorry, but the old media is going out of style. The new base has a renewed sense of self-awareness, an energized desire for Freedom, and an obligation to no one but him-/herself (and, thus, his/her loved ones).

The 2nd Amendment never meant anything to me before...I've always been a "pacifist" (i.e., completely against joining the military and going to war). But these days, the strength and the truth of the 2nd Amendment rings so pure and true through my mind....
Can anyone but true citizens be entrusted with the safety, security, and future of our truly great country and our Constitution?
I don't think so.

I've said before that I think that one of the strongest arguments for a Ron Paul presidency is that we (the U.S. of A.) will never have to worry about not having enough soldiers in the military.
If our presidents were more like Ron Paul, the American people would feel impassioned and personally obligated to standup and fight for our country, our loved ones, and our own lives.

We would feel as if we actually had something invested in our country.

As things are today, we don't have a country....
I don't know where I belong...but it sure-as-Hell isn't under the control of these evil, soulless, demonic motherf*ckers!!!

Ron Paul is my President!
And nobody is going to take that away from me!!! :mad:

philipsantamaria
09-25-2007, 06:31 PM
Though I agree that we should continue to fight full force for a Ron Paul Presidency...

I think the creation of an all encompassing PAC in the vein of move-on.org is a GREAT weapon to have whether Ron Paul wins or loses. If he wins, we'll support him, if he loses, we'll support him and others like him....

This needs to happen...imagine how we just raised $250,000 in a couple of days, if we were a PAC we could've had NYTimes, WSJ, Wash. Post, USA Today ads up the wazoo.

This old-school conservative libertarian PAC could be our vehicle in which any of us who wish run as RON PAUL REPUBLICANS.

So I think we should get this started right after the 3rd Quarter, simultaneous with the Campaign.

LinuxUser269
09-25-2007, 06:32 PM
We should start one anyway, win or lose. President Paul is going to need our help. :)

great post.....we need to stick together even when i am being a dink i would not call it libatarian or republican or the such ..

Americans for Constitutional government

Americans against corrupt government

Divided Americans working together to prevent ----------

we could raise money to pay hit men to take out corrupt politicians
after a few were taken out they would not be so many corrupt ones or want to be corrupt ones.

I hope that was not too bold.

richard1984
09-25-2007, 06:35 PM
We do understand the consequences of losing, though, right...? :confused:

hard@work
Imagine a world where intellectual disagreement was celebrated instead of used against the people.

;-)

BillyDkid
I'm not going to talk or consider defeat yet. My plan as is Dr. Paul's, is to win. My feeling is this is our last chance to restore this country. If we don't do it now, it will just gets harder - which essentially means it will be impossible -at least until the country practically collapses. We can't kid ourselves that this, for all practical purposes, is the last hurrah for liberty. If we can't do it now under the best of all practical conditions (they will only make it harder for us), it just ain't going to happen. I am putting all my stock in this. If it doesn't work, I'm done. I'll trudge into my retirement and then die leaving my son a nation mired in debt and an unwinnable, perpetual "war on terror" and everything it means to be an American a faint memory. Welcome to American Union and one world government and having your guns and rights taken away by the UN and their representatives in our government. And let the real owners of this country have their way with it.

philipsantamaria
09-25-2007, 06:36 PM
how about

1787.org

??

richard1984
09-25-2007, 06:37 PM
Imagine a world where intellectual disagreement was celebrated instead of used against the people.

;-)

Of course, this would be ideal! :D (I LOVE "intellectual disagreement"--it's what makes the world go 'round!)

But a world where "intellectual disagreement" is seen as "terrorism"...?
Please leave me out! :(

Daveforliberty
09-25-2007, 06:38 PM
How can we organize and become a true instrument for policy change regardless of who is in office?

That's what this (http://thefreedommovement.blogspot.com/) blog is for. Just one small attempt at keeping it going. With many others, we will be successful.

Ron Paul Fan
09-25-2007, 06:43 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I'm not ready to concede and throw up the white flag yet. We're raising money at an extraordinary amount, we've got got a big debate thursday night, and we must succeed. If we quit now we will regret it for the rest of our lives. Dr. Paul and I will keep going by ourselves if all of you are ready to jump ship. I'm very confident right now and I think we should be rallying behind our candidate right now and not trying to come up with ways to get out of our obligation of fighting for liberty.

philipsantamaria
09-25-2007, 06:43 PM
Let's think here...a site like moveon.org or dailykos.com is not SO complicated, and I'm sure there are a ton of very skilled libertarian web designers. We could have an op-ed staff and marketing teams all taken from the Ron Paul campaign workers WHEN Paul wins.

Having a PAC like moveon/kos will ONLY FURTHER our cause.

I myself like the name 1787.org (which is obviously the year the Const. was ratified)... Anyone have any other suggestions?

philipsantamaria
09-25-2007, 06:46 PM
Plus, by having a PAC, I believe there is some sort of loophole that allows more donations to a campaign. Anyone know the details of that?

freedominnumbers
09-25-2007, 06:48 PM

I second this. Your town likely has a dozen offices at least you can run for.
Possibly lightly if not unopposed.

paulitics
09-25-2007, 07:20 PM
I understand and all, but I hate even going here right now. It seems kind of like we are asking for a self-fulfilling prophecy, you know? That he won't win and all...

I agree, but the question must be asked now, not later. The liberty movement does not begin and end with Ron Paul. It is bigger than that. If we only put our eggs in Ron Paul's basket, we are doomed for failure no matter what the future holds. Having a continuing strategy if we lose will continue to keep this movement alive, so that all our work and money was not done in vain.

cujothekitten
09-25-2007, 07:28 PM
create an organization that gathers libertarian leaning democrats, "conspiracy theorists," libertarian leaning GOP, libertarians, anarchists; all in one place... back libertarian causes

+1
I'm for sure voting libertarian if Paul doesn't get the nod. I think we should set up a liberty site complete with blogs, forums, news and organization.

philipsantamaria
09-25-2007, 07:43 PM
+1
I'm for sure voting libertarian if Paul doesn't get the nod. I think we should set up a liberty site complete with blogs, forums, news and organization.

I agree, but the question must be asked now, not later. The liberty movement does not begin and end with Ron Paul. It is bigger than that. If we only put our eggs in Ron Paul's basket, we are doomed for failure no matter what the future holds. Having a continuing strategy if we lose will continue to keep this movement alive, so that all our work and money was not done in vain.

So let's do this! We need to first set up a PAC status. We can make this a hybrid of DAILYKOS Networking/blogs/articles with the marketing campaigns of MOVEON

I think if any political group in this country ...the libertarians (small L) can DOMINATE the internet. We're all over the country, we've shown that we can get the money together. See, we obviously can do this, many of us are already getting into politics, others like myself have to wait 3 years or more to even begin, but...

If we set up this base now, imagine the power and influence we can have in the 2010 and 2012 elections!

Givemelibertyor.....
09-25-2007, 07:44 PM
Well, I'm in all the way.

PM me to exchange email addy's. Let's make it happen.

trispear
09-26-2007, 01:46 AM
The way other "republicans" are acting right now - in official capacities or in places like the hannity forums - I'd say they are burning bridges left and right and alienating a bunch of people.

If we don't win the primary -- maybe starting another political party in the tradition of Goldwater/Paul would be called for and start focusing on winning local elections would be a start.

fourameuphoria
09-26-2007, 01:46 AM
Honestly... I think if we all got together, and took out the MSM, that would do enormous wonders in its own right.