PDA

View Full Version : Police ask you to step outside?

kahless
07-24-2009, 01:34 PM
What would you do if the police come knocking and ask you to step outside? There are allot of good cops out there so this is no attempt to disparage law enforcement as a whole or defend Gates. But there is a good and bad people in just about everything in this world. In my experience I would not step outside and have felt safer calling the station to confirm why they are here.

I am white and have had several run ins with questionable law enforcement so I can only imagine the fear that is sparked if the police come knocking and you are a minority. In one instance they came armed with guns drawn but had the wrong house. I would not go out but called the station and told them they had the wrong house. They insisted I go outside but I did not and told them repeatedly they had the wrong house. Luckily they realized this and moved on. But if I had gone out I would have immediately been taken down as my neighor was who had a warrant for his arrest.

Another instance I called 911 because of neighbors evening interderminate location of a building - brush fire. The neighbors and I found it but by the time the police arrived 45 minutes later it was out. The cop came to my door wild eyed angry, looked like he had been drinking and tried to pick a fight since he did not see a fire. I tried to explain to him it had gone out awhile ago but he was acting like he was ready for a fight and accussed me of filing a false report. I did not let him in and before it escalated further the cop calmed down once he saw the neighbors arrive. If it was not for my neighbors and I remained alone it looked like it could have ended badly for me particularly if I was outside the house.

I have several more on the bad side where I am just going about my business and crossed paths with in your face intimidating bad cops. The point is I am white so these incidents are not about race. I maybe Libertarian but I am not an anarchist and respect the fact they are not all bad and serve a purpose - have a job to do. Bottomline in my belief the cops are just someone else you have to watch out for and are not always going to serve your best interest when they come knocking. (you really do not know which type you are going to get)

Krugerrand
07-24-2009, 01:39 PM
I think one's biggest advantage is to maintain a cool composure.

pacelli
07-24-2009, 01:40 PM
If the police asked me to step outside, I'd worry that they were telling me they wanted to fight.

Matt Collins
07-24-2009, 01:44 PM
Ask them if they have probable cause or reasonable suspicions. If they do, then I'd probably comply. If they don't I'd tell them to come back when they do and then close the door.

But if this is regarding the Obama / Harvard professor case then I would say that the police had every reasonable suspicion to ask this guy outside to chat.

kahless
07-24-2009, 01:45 PM
If the police asked me to step outside, I'd worry that they were telling me they wanted to fight.

I think one's biggest advantage is to maintain a cool composure.

Pretty much a given but would you open the door and let them in or go outside?

pcosmar
07-24-2009, 01:47 PM
With or without a reason?
Can they not ask questions and receive answers. with a door in between?
Why do they want me to be outside? I there some problem with me remaining where I am?

I would have to ask if I am under arrest. If not, and if I am inclined , Can I tell them to leave my property? Are they trespassing if they do not immediately comply.

kahless
07-24-2009, 01:49 PM
Ask them if they have probable cause or reasonable suspicions. If they do, then I'd probably comply. If they don't I'd tell them to come back when they do and then close the door.

But if this is regarding the Obama / Harvard professor case then I would say that the police had every reasonable suspicion to ask this guy outside to chat.

In doing so the professor could have been immediately taken to the ground and cuffed on suspicion until it was determined who he was. If it happened to you at your home even if it is a mistake people tend to resist something like this. Next thing you know you being charged with disorderly or failure to obey a peace officer.

Now if this was a public incident for the newspapers the above scenario would likely be debated as just since the officer is protecting himself and has a family.

Kraig
07-24-2009, 01:50 PM
You would have already made the mistake of answering the door.

jkr
07-24-2009, 01:51 PM
you would have already made the mistake of answering the door.

for the win!:d

Oyate
07-24-2009, 02:00 PM
You are under NO obligation to step outside, nor are you obliged to speak to open the door or even speak to the cop. Understand this.

A cop can enter your house with a warrant or probable cause. Absent that, they can't seize you (compel you to exit your house). Even under these conditions, you are under NO obligation to speak to cops or to identify yourself. You have the right to remain silent. A cop who makes a lawful arrest is under the obligation to identify you. This is the state's burden of evidence.

There is no doubt in my mind this cop had mal-intent in asking you to step outside your house. All the needs to do then is shout "assault"! and then you get charged with resisting arrest and assaulting an officer.

On the whole, you do not want to talk to cops atall unless you are dialing 911. You do not want to let them in your property be it your home, lawn, car or wallet. Never consent to search ever. Never waive your rights. Talk to cops with an attorney present.

There's no doubt this attitude hinders legitimate investigations, but rogue cops are now the norm and are as much of a threat to us as common thugs in terms of the frequency of encounters. In fact, it seems that we're MORE likely to be victimized by cops than common thugs these days.

kahless
07-24-2009, 02:01 PM

Thus perhaps Gates should have never opened the door or showed the ID through the window.

hillbilly123069
07-24-2009, 02:44 PM
Reply"I got my lawyer on the phone and he advises me to sit tight till he gets here in a few minutes!"Around here,you try to be friendly with lawdogs,they try to act intimidating.I did notice I was never paced or followed when I had my "Constitution Voter" bumper sticker on my car.

ARealConservative
07-24-2009, 02:55 PM

Actualy at the time he was asked outside, the cop already knew he was the resident of the house (he stated so in the police report)

cops hate getting yelled at. He asked him outside because that is the only way disturbing the piece could factor into the equation.

Rael
07-24-2009, 03:15 PM
for the win!:d

+1
Don't even answer the door. Answering the door gives them the opportunity to claim they smelled marijuana or saw something illegal in the house and then get a bogus warrant to come in.

Golding
07-24-2009, 03:36 PM
I wouldn't step outside just because I was asked to.

satchelmcqueen
07-24-2009, 03:39 PM
i would not until i asked them why. depends on their answer.

youngbuck
07-24-2009, 04:01 PM
First off, rule # 1 is JUST DON'T ANSWER THE DOOR.

If for some reason you are highly inclined to answer the door, NEVER LET THEM INSIDE YOUR HOUSE. Once you let them in your house, you'll have a lot of trouble getting them out when you see fit.

Again, rule # 1 is don't answer the door. Rule # 2 is NEVER LET THEM INSIDE YOUR HOUSE. They'll always ask to come inside, but just say no. "Sorry Officer, I'd rather talk outside" in the worst case scenario. In such an event, it'd be wise to have your house key in your pocket, and lock the door on the way out. If they say "do you have identification" tell them you'll need to go back in to get it, and then tell them to f**k off once you're inside with the door closed and locked. (Do this of course if you can tell they're up to no good.)

tangent4ronpaul
07-24-2009, 04:10 PM

+1

PlzPeopleWakeUp
07-24-2009, 04:19 PM
I love Big Brother.

RideTheDirt
07-24-2009, 05:10 PM
i used to throw parties shortly after high school and the cops would try to bust them. We just locked the doors and closed the curtains and ignored them after i told them unless the had an invitation or a warrant that they were not welcome on the property. i also told them that if they broke an entry they would we would treat it as a home invasion and exercise our a few of our constitutional rights. they never came in. Turned the sprinklers on the bastards too after they wouldn't leave for a few hours. Of course i got pulled over 100+ times, stalked, harassed, and physically abused for doing this for the next few years. Fortunately i documented most of this along with some audio and filed a personal injury suit for many things against 7 agencies. Made a deal instead... All 20+ charges dropped, such as loud parties, disorderly conducts, and a bunch of other bogus ones. All the different city/county/state prosecuting attorneys told the law enforcement heads they had to leave me alone thereafter. I would flick em off when i seen those few prick cops that rode me hard thereafter. I don't let people push me around. Never. I'd rather die fighting.
~through the window~
cop: "what's in the cup? I see minors drinking beer, we're coming in"
me: "you see people you don't know drinking a foamy amber color liquid. Gtfo of my yard now."
+1776

LibertyRevolution
07-24-2009, 11:05 PM
I agree, do not answer the door.
All my friends know I do not answer my door unless you call me first. So anyone who knocks on my door without calling first is considered to be an unfriendly and ignored.

One time the police showed up while I was outside in my front yard, they wanted me to come in for questioning. I asked them if they had a warrant, they said no, they just wanted me to answer some questions about people that I am known to associate with. I asked them to please leave my property, and if they wish to contact me to do so through my attorney. I never had the police show up on my property since.

heavenlyboy34
07-24-2009, 11:07 PM
this was an interesting thread, thnx.

Uriel999
07-24-2009, 11:18 PM
Personally, if a cop knocks on my door my response is to step outside and lock my house door on the way out. That protects your home from police invasion when they are 86 a warrant. Talk to them outside. Chances are you are safe. Every time the police have come to my door it was simply because of a noise complaint because I walked around my apartment when I was on the 2nd floor and that pissed off my asshole neighbor below me. Nevermind the fact that often late at night he would blast his guitar. Douchebag....

akihabro
07-25-2009, 12:19 AM
I guess I've never had this happen.
#1 I'd grab my gun and look out the peephole
#2 Realize it was the cops and think "did I do anything illegal recently?" "Should I answer?"
#3 Probably put the gun down.
#4 Open the door and ask what they want. If they want me outside I'd lock the door behind me. I've seen a lot of shows where you answer and they grab your ass and put you in handcuffs.

I've just never had any experiences with bad attitude cops.

Would any of you slip a note under the door that says:
"I plead the 5th and please leave my property because you are trespassing if you don't have a warrant."

akihabro
07-25-2009, 12:21 AM
Personally, if a cop knocks on my door my response is to step outside and lock my house door on the way out. That protects your home from police invasion when they are 86 a warrant. Talk to them outside. Chances are you are safe. Every time the police have come to my door it was simply because of a noise complaint because I walked around my apartment when I was on the 2nd floor and that pissed off my asshole neighbor below me. Nevermind the fact that often late at night he would blast his guitar. Douchebag....

I rarely hear of anyone knocking on a neighbors door and asking them to please be a little more quite. Its usually "Unit 81 respond to 123 blah street for a noise complaint. Proceed with caution suspect is armed to the teeth."