PDA

View Full Version : Perry raises possibility of state's rights showdown re: healthcare

MsDoodahs
07-24-2009, 09:33 AM
"Perry raises possibility of states' rights showdown with White House over healthcare

AUSTIN — Gov. Rick Perry, raising the specter of a showdown with the Obama administration, suggested Thursday that he would consider invoking states’ rights protections under the 10th Amendment to resist the president’s healthcare plan, which he said would be "disastrous" for Texas.

Interviewed by conservative talk show host Mark Davis of Dallas’ WBAP/820 AM, Perry said his first hope is that Congress will defeat the plan, which both Perry and Davis described as "Obama Care." But should it pass, Perry predicted that Texas and a "number" of states might resist the federal health mandate.

"I think you’ll hear states and governors standing up and saying 'no’ to this type of encroachment on the states with their healthcare," Perry said. "So my hope is that we never have to have that stand-up. But I’m certainly willing and ready for the fight if this administration continues to try to force their very expansive government philosophy down our collective throats."

Perry, the state’s longest-serving governor, has made defiance of Washington a hallmark of his state administration as well as his emerging re-election campaign against U.S. Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison in the 2010 Republican primary. Earlier this year, Perry refused $555 million in federal unemployment stimulus money, saying it would subject Texas to long-term costs after the federal dollars ended."

Read the rest:

http://www.star-telegram.com/804/story/1504240.html

Krugerrand
07-24-2009, 10:01 AM
Go Perry! My Gov. (Rendell) will be all to eager to follow Lord Barry's decrees.

malkusm
07-24-2009, 10:23 AM
Yeah, this is exactly what I think states should be doing.

Elwar
07-24-2009, 10:28 AM
Ya, Perry would rather just have his state inoculate millions of young females with a harmful vaccine. Is that the part of ObamaCare he doesn't like? It doesn't go far enough?

MsDoodahs
07-24-2009, 10:46 AM
Ya, Perry would rather just have his state inoculate millions of young females with a harmful vaccine. Is that the part of ObamaCare he doesn't like? It doesn't go far enough?

Perry has his finger up to see which way the wind is blowing.

It's blowing AGAINST more fedgov intrusion.

And Deb Medina has tossed her hat into the ring.

She has the potential to pull even more votes away from Ricky.

That's just my assessment on why he's saying what he's saying these days.

Overall, I think it is a good thing, because it gets the CONCEPT out there for Texans to consider.

:)

Stary Hickory
07-24-2009, 10:49 AM
States are going to be the people's best defence against a tyrannical Federal Government. I am glad to see Perry say this.

DapperDan
07-24-2009, 11:09 AM
Go Texas! Now to stick to those words and actually do it.

werdd
07-24-2009, 12:42 PM
Hehe, i was going to post this article.

Perry sure has been acting like a badass lately, i remember what he has done in the past though. NAFTA superhighway support, raising cigarette and alchohol taxes etc.

Me thinks he is gearing up for 2012. Unless of course a sanford-esque moment arises. Seems like if you don't follow lord barrys orders, some huge scandall lands in your lap.