PDA

View Full Version : Gov. Sanford Raises Concerns over Federal PASS ID (formerly REAL ID)

RSLudlum
07-23-2009, 10:05 PM
http://www.scgovernor.com/news/releases/7-21-2009.htm

Gov. Sanford outlined four main concerns with the PASS ID legislation:

-If there are going to be secondary levels of screening under this law, that ought to be defined now.

-The allegedly “voluntary” pilot program establishing a centralized “hub” of citizens’ identities should be removed from the legislation. History suggests that such “voluntary” programs become mandatory once the federal government consolidates its authority and oversight.

-PASS ID does not prohibit the use of RFID (radio frequency identification) technology in drivers’ licenses, which makes citizens susceptible to tracking by public and private entities, including hackers.

-PASS ID does not provide adequate protection to the identities of victims of criminal domestic violence.

RM918
07-23-2009, 10:07 PM
Unfortunately, any and all of his concerns will be rendered inconsequential as facts these days are determined by who speaks them and not their merits.

RSLudlum
07-23-2009, 10:10 PM
Maybe so but just wanted to inform everybody that the REAL ID is now re-packaged as the PASS ID. I didn't realize this until tonight. :(

FSP-Rebel
07-23-2009, 10:14 PM
Maybe so but just wanted to inform everybody that the REAL ID is now re-packaged as the PASS ID. I didn't realize this until tonight. :(
Doesn't matter to NH people, we passed laws against any national id card proposal. It's already dead in the water here.

RSLudlum
07-23-2009, 10:29 PM
Wish I could say the same for SC. Here in Charleston, we actually have a DHS Federal Law Enforcement Training Center.