PDA

View Full Version : Schiff money bomb a waste of limited resources?

RonPaulFanInGA
07-22-2009, 10:15 PM
Rand Paul, unlike Schiff, doesn't have the means in which to self-fund his candidacy. Furthermore, this bomb seems to be taking away from a Rand one on Aug. 20 with a legit shot at $500,000+.

Schiff has his own lists and connections, he can raise a ton of money just fine as is.

Also too many money bombs creates a lot of, well, bombs.

gls
07-22-2009, 10:20 PM
Schiff doesn't have the means to self-fund his candidacy. He's wealthy but he's not Ross Perot or Steve Forbes.

TCE
07-22-2009, 10:27 PM
Rand Paul, unlike Schiff, doesn't have the means in which to self-fund his candidacy. Furthermore, this bomb seems to be taking away from a Rand one on Aug. 20 with a legit shot at $500,000+.

Schiff has his own lists and connections, he can raise a ton of money just fine as is.

Also too many money bombs creates a lot of, well, bombs.

Rand's decision is influenced by much more than just money at this point. Would it be nice if he could raise a million? Obviously, however, if Jim Bunning runs, which is looking more likely, Rand's stock drops.

Additionally, if Grayson also runs, that's another strike against Rand. As of right now, Bunning/Grayson's decisions matter more than money. Add on to that the Democratic challenger, Jack Conway has raised almost twice that of Grayson and Bunning combined, which further hurts Rand. Unfortunately for the Liberty movement, as insane as it sounds, Schiff, if he runs, will have an easier time than Rand will have.

Michigan11
07-22-2009, 10:29 PM
I think the Schiff August 7th money bomb will help build Rand's on the 20th... that's just my opinion..

I'm giving to both

Epic
07-22-2009, 10:33 PM
Rand is running regardless of whether Bunning gets in or not, I think.

I think Rand will have a fighting chance as long as he gets 400k+ in the bomb.

He is starting in-person fundraisers in Kentucky and outside of Kentucky.

TheTyke
07-22-2009, 11:02 PM
Rand's chances are a LOT better than people give him credit for, and I actually live in Kentucky. Lately we've seen several of the "old guard" Republicans inspired by Rand and a few of them even actively promoting him! Thanks in part to their influence, he's been invited to speak at Jefferson and Fayette County GOP picnics - two of the biggest voting centers in the state.

These are things I didn't even think were possible last year. And when he gets to speak, Rand is articulate and persuasive. Everyone I talk to is very open to him - much more than Ron last year. Rand expects Senator Bunning will drop out and I hope he's right - Bunning would draw votes away. However Rand is probably going to run anyhow - he is madly campaigning and has ramped things up far too much to stop now.

I am putting my money on Rand as having the best chance of election. I just hope he gets the support he needs - we desperately need more pledges. I'm not too worried about splitting the effort, but if one has to choose, I agree that Rand would be the best use of the money.

He Who Pawns
07-22-2009, 11:18 PM
Wow worst thread I have seen in a long time. Amazingly, amazingly stupid thread.

If Schiff wins, he could change the entire GOP.

RonPaulwillWin
07-23-2009, 12:09 AM
It's more important for us to get Schiff in IMO. Plus fund raising is key in getting schiff to run. I'll be donating to both.

Eric21ND
07-23-2009, 02:33 AM
Wow worst thread I have seen in a long time. Amazingly, amazingly stupid thread.

No kidding, Peter...no Rand....blah blah blah

Whats next in this pissing match? Is it that hard for you guys to promote both money bombs and donate a $100 to each? Sheesh.

Aratus
07-23-2009, 09:46 AM
the rEVOLUTIOn in a sense could be thought of as one movement, with several core ideas
that transend state lines in a big way, yet if we get down to this, and see things for what
they are, each senate race is different, and has a set of obstacles that is unique as to the
political landscape. money often is momentum. few of the voters are so divided as to debate
how to sub-divide a fixed sum. one big donation of $500 to $2400 does boost the morale of
a campaign fundraiser, yet there is a limit, a ceiling PER CANDIDATE, seyz the FEC... so if
someone DONATES $240 ten times to BOTH Peter Schiff and Rand Paul, rather than just
only $1,200 or $2,400 in one big lump sum to EITHER Peter Schiff or Rand Paul... the very act
of spacing the amounts of money gives a candidate and a campaign a momentum. splitting
the amounts into ten seperate donations to two seperate campaigns gives TWO campaigns
a momentum. admittedly there are rEVOLUTIOn people who are in their uppers, and are
budgetting the daylights out of their daily lives... each of us knows how all this looks to us...

MRoCkEd
07-23-2009, 10:12 AM

No kidding, Peter...no Rand....blah blah blah

Whats next in this pissing match? Is it that hard for you guys to promote both money bombs and donate a $100 to each? Sheesh.
These

Young Paleocon
07-23-2009, 04:23 PM
I think both will be awesome and within a month of them happening a msm network will have a headline before a segment entitled Ron Paul Republicans? devoted to the movement.....hopefully.

OhioMichael
07-23-2009, 04:25 PM
I think the Schiff August 7th money bomb will help build Rand's on the 20th... that's just my opinion..

I'm giving to both

x2

We are kind of splintered as a movement. If a money bomb for Schiff makes news, it will have a positive impact on Rand's campaign. We just have to help it make the news.

paulitics
07-23-2009, 05:36 PM
We need both. Schiff is a legend. Making the ultimate sacrifice for the country by running is selfless enough. He is not a special interest politician, and shouldn't have to finance anything out of his own pocket IMO.

Hamer
07-23-2009, 05:38 PM
First poll out and Peter is within 3% of winning. Still think it is a waste of time to support him?

2010 Senate: General Election (trends)
Simmons 48%, Dodd 39% (chart)
Dodd 42%, Caligiuri 40%
Dodd 42%, Foley 42%
Dodd 43%, Schiff 38%

http://www.pollster.com/blogs/ct_sim...9_quinnipi.php

www.schiffathon.com

itshappening
07-23-2009, 08:46 PM
I think its important Rand gets a decent amount of money in the bomb because Grayson and Bunning are about 400k ahead with money in the bank, WE NEED TO TIP THE BALANCE and give Rand a fighting chance. this is important..

also, Schiff if a great candidate, we have to support both really... Schiff is pledging to refund donations if he isnt running.

devil21
07-24-2009, 04:11 AM
The 12th Commandment for Conservatives and Libertarians:

Never work to discourage another liberty candidate's moneybombs.

Even if all support migrates behind a single candidate, Rand, Peter, whatever then the seat is guaranteed. We can NOT get into squabbles over candidates because that is "divide and conquer" to a tee. All candidates will LOSE if support is divided much. Let the "free market" quickly decide which candidate deserves and works for the most support. I don't think it's possible for both Rand and Peter to win. Sorry. This is exactly why I hate all these exploratory committees. Just officially RUN FOR THE SEAT and things will shake themselves out. There's still a lot of time before 2010 so I say just shit or get off the pot.

dr. hfn
07-25-2009, 02:32 AM
our resources are not limited. we have vast unlimited reserves of patriotism!

AJ Antimony
07-25-2009, 02:52 AM
What did we learn today class?
"Running for office is not a fucking cakewalk!"

Schiff's money bomb is NOT a waste. He needs the money like any other candidate. Hell, if Schiff doesn't run, then he will return all the money anyway.

Both Peter's and Rand's races are going to be very challenging to win. Both appear to have a great chance in the general election yet a very unlikely chance in the primary.

Am I really the only person here that sees the sad truth? This movement can't raise significant funds anymore.

Yes it is a recession and yes it's hard to donate a large sum of money, but I don't think this is the reason we can't raise $4 mil in a single day. I think it's simply because RP had too many Obama/must-win donors. What do I mean by this? Remember, RP raised the most money BEFORE the primaries, when people still thought he had a chance to win. Once it became clear to the typical donor that RP wasn't going to win, they decided to support their next best candidate solely because they wanted to be on a winning team. We all know how stupid the American voter is. It's not the money we are low on, it's the number of donors. They all ditched RP just because they wanted to support their 2nd favorite peace candidate because 'its fun to be on the winning team.'