PDA

View Full Version : This movement needs more organization

Matthew Zak
07-22-2009, 09:51 PM
Especially for those of us who are out of the loop, and/or have never had an understanding of government on any level. Two years ago I was very interested in the movement, going as far as donating money to Ron Paul's campaign and creating several YouTube videos designed to inspire people. Unfortunately, when Obama was elected, my sail lost its wind. I have been trying to keep afloat during these hard times while contemplating my future. It's hard to gather the resources, energy, or the time to "put it all together" to make a REAL difference. Ideally, I would like this movement to be the vehicle for my future. But I have no idea where to start.

Making youtube videos or bulletin board posts is only going to solicit flattering responses, at best. I want to know where to find the tools to get to work.

conqst3
07-22-2009, 09:54 PM
move to New hampshire

BenIsForRon
07-22-2009, 09:55 PM
There are thousands of NGO's and PAC's, including the Campaign for Liberty. It's up to you how you navigate this stuff. We are still the freest country on earth, in my opinion. CHOOSE YOUR DESTINY!!@@@

Matthew Zak
07-22-2009, 09:58 PM
There are thousands of NGO's and PAC's, including the Campaign for Liberty. It's up to you how you navigate this stuff. We are still the freest country on earth, in my opinion. CHOOSE YOUR DESTINY!!@@@

What is an NGO? What's a PAC?

Talk to me as if I've been living under a rock my whole life. ;) (especially the last couple of years)

Imperial
07-22-2009, 10:02 PM
Get active in some local engine for politics. Depending on whats active in your area, it could be CFL, Young Republicans/Democrats, local GOP/Dem Party, RLC, or others.

Or you could go for single-issue type lobbies, if you wanted that route.

Or if you are still in high-school, JSA and policy debate are great places to start getting into good political thought.

Matthew Zak
07-22-2009, 10:15 PM
Get active in some local engine for politics. Depending on whats active in your area, it could be CFL, Young Republicans/Democrats, local GOP/Dem Party, RLC, or others.

Or you could go for single-issue type lobbies, if you wanted that route.

Or if you are still in high-school, JSA and policy debate are great places to start getting into good political thought.

I'm 27, working the only near-full-time job I could get my hands on while just trying to get by. My credit is absolutely destroyed due to me not making my school loans. My family is no use in this regard. My mother and step father have one job between the two of them and they are driving without insurance. When I was living with them I had more time, but I had to leave because the family situation is dysfunctional. So I'm on my own, but I have no direction. I feel like I'm driving through a white out blizzard.

Matthew Zak
07-22-2009, 10:19 PM
I guess I am wondering how I can get active if I have no experience in politics, and no time. Not to mention a lack of resources. Where do I start?

I'm from Minnesota. I don't even know who my representatives are. I want to call them, or email them. But I don't know where to find their information.

specsaregood
07-22-2009, 10:21 PM
I guess I am wondering how I can get active if I have no experience in politics, and no time. Not to mention a lack of resources. Where do I start?

So you didn't go to any meetup events in your area during the campaign? You have not yet met any/many people in your area that are part of this "movement"?

Edit: I would bet there are a few freedom-oriented groups in your area. be it: jbs, ffi, cfl or others. In my area the jbs'ers rule when it comes to getting involved. They are the most active people around (always something to do) and some are even elected officials or gop party members.

Edit #2: If you are from MN, how far are you away from Minneapolis? This meetup seems to still be active:
http://www.meetup.com/Minneapolis-Revolutionary-Republicans/

Epic
07-22-2009, 10:28 PM
Make sure you take care of yourself before trying to help others.

And, if you post your zip code, we can tell you your congressional and state representatives. Your senators are Amy Klobuchar (D) and Al Franken (D).

If you want to do internet activism, check out www.downsizedc.org. They have a very nice message sending system that takes all the legwork out of sending messages to your representatives.

BenIsForRon
07-22-2009, 10:28 PM
What is an NGO? What's a PAC?

Non-Governmental Organization. Political Action Committee (C4L falls under this banner).

Hey, it's summer time! Why don't you go work in a community garden? That way, you will meet a lot of like minded people, and get free food! Its a win-win.

Imperial
07-22-2009, 10:56 PM
Matthew Zak I guess I am wondering how I can get active if I have no experience in politics, and no time. Not to mention a lack of resources. Where do I start?

I'm from Minnesota. I don't even know who my representatives are. I want to call them, or email them. But I don't know where to find their information.

Well, if youre in Minnesota then you already can know who your senators are. There are only two senators for statewide, and they are Al Franken and Amy Klobuchar. Try http://www.klobuchar.senate.gov/ or http://www.franken.senate.gov/ to see them. They are both democrats. They list contact numbers though, so its easy to call and ask them to say, support S604. Do that once or twice a week and find a few other people to help you in MN, and they might start caving.

If you want to find your US Representative for your district, normally you can type in your zipcode and maybe address to find it. The same goes for state senate and state rep. Just google or goodsearch "Minnesota us representative/state representative/state senate" and it should point out an appropriate website.

State reps are especially easier to influence, due to more local nature. You often get personal responses from them. The more persistent you are, the more likely you will get a response from any representative.

If you want a job from one of these people, you can typically apply for an intership. If you are lucky one of them is paid some amount of money. For example, I know Ron Paul's internship program has a mix of paid and unpaid jobs. What degree you have might help (i am assuming you have one if you said you had loans). With politics, you have to work your way up from a low level like that slowly.

You could also check out other organizations. The ACLU might be a good one. There is also this http://www.cfboard.state.mn.us/campfin/pcfatoz.html to find a PAC.

For just local activism, try canvassing for local/state legislative candidates in your area in your free time. Or phone banking. Write an editorial to local papers that you can write in spare time at home. That gets readers who are normal people, not an echo chamber like here.

I've heard Minnesotan Ron Paul Republicans are doing great at influencing the GOP there. They have become an active force in the politics, and took over many local Republican organizations. Just type in your county and Republican in google search- you may be surprised what you find. Also, the Independence Party is pretty influential in Minnesota. They have some good things going.

idirtify
07-22-2009, 11:56 PM
Especially for those of us who are out of the loop, and/or have never had an understanding of government on any level. Two years ago I was very interested in the movement, going as far as donating money to Ron Paul's campaign and creating several YouTube videos designed to inspire people. Unfortunately, when Obama was elected, my sail lost its wind. I have been trying to keep afloat during these hard times while contemplating my future. It's hard to gather the resources, energy, or the time to "put it all together" to make a REAL difference. Ideally, I would like this movement to be the vehicle for my future. But I have no idea where to start.

Making youtube videos or bulletin board posts is only going to solicit flattering responses, at best. I want to know where to find the tools to get to work.

CAMPAIGN FOR LIBERTY

It’s growing by leaps and bounds. Call them. I bet they need you.

6186 Old Franconia Rd, Ste B, Alexandria, VA 22310
(703) 347-6886 (V) | (703) 347-9130 (F)
http://www.campaignforliberty.com/

Matthew Zak
07-23-2009, 12:18 AM
Make sure you take care of yourself before trying to help others.

And, if you post your zip code, we can tell you your congressional and state representatives. Your senators are Amy Klobuchar (D) and Al Franken (D).

If you want to do internet activism, check out www.downsizedc.org. They have a very nice message sending system that takes all the legwork out of sending messages to your representatives.

During Ron's campaign I ran into only a handful of people who'd even heard of him, and non of them understood why he was important. No one around here understands the message or the movement. Nobody in my family cares, no matter how hard I try. None of my friends grasp it, either.

Thanks for the help on this. I think it would be really beneficial for Liberty Forest to set up a Liberty Seed section or something, you know, for those just getting started.

Matthew Zak
07-23-2009, 12:20 AM
Well, if youre in Minnesota then you already can know who your senators are. There are only two senators for statewide, and they are Al Franken and Amy Klobuchar. Try http://www.klobuchar.senate.gov/ or http://www.franken.senate.gov/ to see them. They are both democrats. They list contact numbers though, so its easy to call and ask them to say, support S604. Do that once or twice a week and find a few other people to help you in MN, and they might start caving.

If you want to find your US Representative for your district, normally you can type in your zipcode and maybe address to find it. The same goes for state senate and state rep. Just google or goodsearch "Minnesota us representative/state representative/state senate" and it should point out an appropriate website.

State reps are especially easier to influence, due to more local nature. You often get personal responses from them. The more persistent you are, the more likely you will get a response from any representative.

If you want a job from one of these people, you can typically apply for an intership. If you are lucky one of them is paid some amount of money. For example, I know Ron Paul's internship program has a mix of paid and unpaid jobs. What degree you have might help (i am assuming you have one if you said you had loans). With politics, you have to work your way up from a low level like that slowly.

You could also check out other organizations. The ACLU might be a good one. There is also this http://www.cfboard.state.mn.us/campfin/pcfatoz.html to find a PAC.

For just local activism, try canvassing for local/state legislative candidates in your area in your free time. Or phone banking. Write an editorial to local papers that you can write in spare time at home. That gets readers who are normal people, not an echo chamber like here.

I've heard Minnesotan Ron Paul Republicans are doing great at influencing the GOP there. They have become an active force in the politics, and took over many local Republican organizations. Just type in your county and Republican in google search- you may be surprised what you find. Also, the Independence Party is pretty influential in Minnesota. They have some good things going.

Wow, this is some good info. Thank you. I'm going to get on this.

Danke
07-23-2009, 03:30 AM
Minnesotans for Limited Government (http://www.mnlg.org/)

idirtify
07-23-2009, 08:37 AM
CAMPAIGN FOR LIBERTY

It’s growing by leaps and bounds. Call them. I bet they need you.

6186 Old Franconia Rd, Ste B, Alexandria, VA 22310
(703) 347-6886 (V) | (703) 347-9130 (F)
http://www.campaignforliberty.com/

Matthew Zak,

In case you didn’t know, Campaign For Liberty is RP’s main PAC. They are focusing on training young people like you with a subgroup called YAL (Young Americans for Liberty). There is even a national convention for YAL in two weeks. Contact them!

Mani
07-23-2009, 08:47 AM
Matthew Zak,

In case you didn’t know, Campaign For Liberty is RP’s main PAC. They are focusing on training young people like you with a subgroup called YAL (Young Americans for Liberty). There is even a national convention for YAL in two weeks. Contact them!

I agree. You asked for organization, well campaign for liberty IS the organization.

This is the organization Ron Paul founded after his presidential campaign concluded. This is where you'll see a lot of his resources organized. These guys are keeping the movement going.

I would look into Campaign for Liberty. http://www.campaignforliberty.com/
They could definitely use your help.