PDA

View Full Version : Obama to take on DeMint at press conference

bobbyw24
07-22-2009, 06:34 PM
http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/obama-to-take-on-demint-at-press-conference-2009-07-22.html

Obama to take on DeMint at press conference
By Sam Youngman
Posted: 07/22/09 06:09 PM [ET]
President Obama will open a primetime Wednesday press conference by defending his call for healthcare reform, and he will target one Republican critic as he does so.

In prepared remarks distributed by the White House, Obama calls out Republican Sen. Jim DeMint (S.C.), though not by name, for saying that if Republicans can stop healthcare reform, "it will break" Obama.

"I understand how easy it is for this town to become consumed in the game of politics — to turn every issue into a running tally of who’s up and who’s down," Obama will say. "I’ve heard that one Republican strategist told his party that even though they may want to compromise, it’s better politics to 'go for the kill.' Another Republican senator said that defeating health reform is about 'breaking' me."

The president, who will repeat his pledge to only sign a reform bill that is deficit-neutral, says in response to DeMint that "this isn’t about me."

"I have great health insurance, and so does every member of Congress," Obama says. "This debate is about the letters I read when I sit in the Oval Office every day, and the stories I hear at town hall meetings."

Obama also pledges to sign a reform bill this year despite stalls in Congress and growing doubt that legislation will come out of both the House and Senate before the August recess.

zach
07-22-2009, 08:39 PM
The stories you hear at town hall meetings are pre-screened and you like to hug people.

I know, I know... for the people.

Duh.

Imperial
07-22-2009, 08:50 PM
The frontpage guys at DailyKos have decided Jim Demint is the new guy to demonize from the Republicans. He keeps getting featured over there and is the new Republican warmonger theocratic tyrannical baby-killer who has no morality whatsoever.

I was just thinking, "What the heck? Jim Demint being turned into a big player?"

jmdrake
07-22-2009, 09:04 PM
I'll have to give DeMint a second look. I thought he had voted for the bailout, but I checked his record again and he voted against it. I owe him an apology. I get letters from him periodically asking for help fighting Obama's "card check" bill that will end secret ballot for labor votes. Up until now I just threw them away.

klamath
07-22-2009, 09:17 PM
I'll have to give DeMint a second look. I thought he had voted for the bailout, but I checked his record again and he voted against it. I owe him an apology. I get letters from him periodically asking for help fighting Obama's "card check" bill that will end secret ballot for labor votes. Up until now I just threw them away.

Demint had a 80% rating in the freedom index before Obama was elected, and was the highest rated senator. That was before it was popular to be a fiscal republican. He had a 100% in the latest freedom index, same a RP.

jmdrake
07-22-2009, 09:19 PM
Demint had a 80% rating in the freedom index before Obama was elected, and was the highest rated senator. That was before it was popular to be a fiscal republican. He had a 100% in the latest freedom index, same a RP.

Thanks. I should have done my research better. If I get another letter from his organization I'll send him something by way of a donation and an apology.