PDA

View Full Version : Finally something good out of Hollyweird!

tangent4ronpaul
07-22-2009, 06:08 PM
http://www.mtv.com/videos/tom-petty/18159/dont-come-around-here-no-more.jhtml

umm... how do you imbed a video here? - I know there is a way, but none of the links work...

This one is destine to become a classic!

Now eat your moldy rye bread - there are thousands of starving children in Afghanistan and have a chat with the door mouse on your way out.

as to the obligatory political tie in:

"Now don't worry about demonstrations-just pump up your drug supply.
So many people have hooked themselves on heroin
and amphetamines since we took over, it's just like Vietnam.
We had everybody so busy with LSD they never got too strong.
Kept the war functioning just fine
It's easy.
We've got our college kids so interested in beer
they don't even care if we start manufacturing germ bombs again.
Put a nuclear stockpile in their back yard,
they wouldn't even know what it looked like"

-Jello Biaffro

-t

tangent4ronpaul
07-22-2009, 06:45 PM
btw: it's a whole movie - this is just the trailer.

-t

BenIsForRon
07-22-2009, 06:53 PM
you linked to a tom petty video

lol

tangent4ronpaul
07-22-2009, 06:55 PM
It's a trailer for a movie. Release date 2010. Stars Petty and Johny Depp.

-t

bkreigh
07-22-2009, 06:57 PM
you linked to a tom petty video

lol

i was wondering what i was missing the past 20 some years ago when this song came out.

tangent4ronpaul
07-22-2009, 07:06 PM
so what's the symbolism?

Alice turns into a pig?
Alice gets Eaten? (ooooh - sexual connotations - oh my!)
Alice on Drugs?

I don't know - "Go Ask Alice"...

Could Alice be us, and the Mad Hatter the government?

If anything, the choreography and staging are excellent!

Methinks this movie is destined for cult classic status.

-t

Wadesc
07-22-2009, 07:07 PM
I'm guessing you are talking about the new Alice in Wonderland with Johnny Depp as the Mad Hatter.

tangent4ronpaul
07-22-2009, 07:08 PM
I'm guessing you are talking about the new Alice in Wonderland with Johnny Depp as the Mad Hatter.

Yeppers!

Any idea on the release date? - this is one movie I want to see!

-t

Wadesc
07-22-2009, 07:10 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_in_Wonderland_%282010_film%29

Dunno, I think it looks pretty cool too.

tangent4ronpaul
07-22-2009, 07:13 PM
hmmm... I seem to have messed up - that was apparently a 1985 music video, and not the trailer. :(

anyone have a link to the real trailer?

====

'Alice In Wonderland' Teaser Gives A Generous Glimpse Of Tim Burton's Excellence

Posted 2 hrs ago by Adam Rosenberg in Commentary, Video

Alice in WonderlandWOW. As a longtime fan of all things "Alice in Wonderland"-related, I've been looking forward to Tim Burton's take on Lewis Carroll's stories with something that far exceeds "great interest." It's more like "rabid enthusiasm," or "release more content before I go postal." And now that the first in-motion look at the movie has arrived, I find my vocabulary pared down to a single word: WOW!

For those of you fretting and raising eyebrows over this new Alice's (Mia Wasikowska) age or Johnny Depp's (he plays the Mad Hatter) star billing, know that Burton's story is a sort-of sequel to the Carroll original. You'll see all sorts of familiar characters and locales of course, but things have changed -- and quite a bit -- since Alice's first visit to Wonderland.

UPDATE: Apparently a certain website got a little overexcited about the "Alice" trailer and decided to run it a day early. These things happen. We've been asked to pull it down, and will of course comply out of respect for Disney, Burton and his talented team.

Keeping reading for some thoughts on the shiny newness.

Man does that look badass. Helena Bonham Carter's not-quite-real/not-quite-CG Red Queen has officially shoved Depp's Hatter aside for top billing in my nightmares. The way her head moves on her body in that too-brief clip... terrifying.

The Cheshire Cat, his head at least, is exactly what it should be. A little bit menacing and a little bit whimsical. You're not really sure where you stand with him, and you're not supposed to. Now imagine that face with Stephen Fry's purring voice.

I don't know what to make of Tweedledee and Tweedledum (both Matt Lucas). I'm guessing they're going to provide comic relief, as they should. The character design freaks me out though. Maybe it's just my natural tendency to fear any digitally altered child image -- the main reason I don't do J-horror -- but they're going to have to be pretty damn funny for me to get past that.

The only downer in this trailer is the total absence of Caterpillar shots. Alan Rickman is an inspired bit of casting for the role. He can do bored disinterest like few others. Remember Marvin the Paranoid Android in "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"? I also can't wait to see what Burton has his crazy, hookah-addled CG counterpart spelling out in mid-air with exhaled smoke.

Chills people, real actual chills. That's what I get from this teaser. Last time I felt this way about a literary adaptation, it was when I saw the first images from "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone." The story could be drek and I wouldn't care. Burton clearly has a strong idea of what a new "Alice" on film should look like; in a single stroke, he's erased any doubts I may have had.

There's only one question that matters right now: what do you think of the trailer?

====

The 'Alice In Wonderland' Trailer: Not As Good As Tom Petty

Posted 12 minutes ago by MTV News in Music

After months of speculation and handfuls of crazy-looking production stills, the trailer for "Alice in Wonderland" — one of the most hotly anticipated films of 2010 — finally hit the Internet. The movie stars Johnny Depp as the Mad Hatter and is directed by "Beetlejuice" director Tim Burton. The trailer is vintage Burton: Equal parts scary and silly, gorgeous and hideous. The image of Alice (played by Mia Wasikowska) shrinking into her dress and the various shots of the Cheshire Cat are all pretty amazing.

The definitive "Alice in Wonderland" moment in rock music remains Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers' 1985 clip for "Don't Come Around Here No More." Petty plays the Mad Hatter like a laid-back stoner uncle (not much of a stretch, really), which is far away from the mania that Depp seems to be bringing to his version of the role. One consistent item? Both Petty and Depp are wearing fantastically ridiculous maroon top hats. It's a timeless look, and it somehow suits both men well. Need more connections? Okay! Tom Petty made a video for "Mary Jane's Last Dance" in 1993 that starred Kim Basinger, who played Vicki Vale in 1989's "Batman," which was directed by Tim Burton.

====

From the pic in the first article - It looks disappointing...

they should have let Petty direct it.

-t

john_anderson_ii
07-22-2009, 07:14 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_in_Wonderland_%282010_film%29

Dunno, I think it looks pretty cool too.

Hrm. The storyline seems to be similar to the "American McGee's Alice" video game. This looks promising.

Wadesc
07-22-2009, 07:16 PM
You mean the game thats based off of Alice in Wonderland? :)

But yeah, thats a classic Tom Petty video. I hope the movie takes a hint from that.

dannno
07-22-2009, 07:18 PM
I'm pretty sure I gave Tom Petty a Ron Paul 'business card' flyer back in late 2007.. He seemed pretty interested in ending government institutions and didn't believe that I was actually pushing a Republican politician who wanted to do just that. He was walking kinda fast and wouldn't stop so I couldn't get a very long conversation in :(

tangent4ronpaul
07-22-2009, 07:25 PM
Hrm. The storyline seems to be similar to the "American McGee's Alice" video game. This looks promising.

Yeah it does. That's actually the only video game I currently own (and I totally suck at it!)

Still, Petty's music vid looks better,but this looks promising - here's one trailer:

YouTube - Tim Burton's Alice In Wonderland Trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNMCjW7MOlU)

-t

tangent4ronpaul
07-22-2009, 07:29 PM
You mean the game thats based off of Alice in Wonderland? :)

But yeah, thats a classic Tom Petty video. I hope the movie takes a hint from that.

http://www.filezine.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/american-mcgees-alice-298x300.jpg

-t

tangent4ronpaul
07-22-2009, 07:30 PM
I'm pretty sure I gave Tom Petty a Ron Paul 'business card' flyer back in late 2007.. He seemed pretty interested in ending government institutions and didn't believe that I was actually pushing a Republican politician who wanted to do just that. He was walking kinda fast and wouldn't stop so I couldn't get a very long conversation in :(

Any idea if he voted for him?

-t

Wadesc
07-22-2009, 07:57 PM
I dont think that is the real trailer.

tangent4ronpaul
07-22-2009, 08:08 PM
I dont think that is the real trailer.

I've polked around youtube and found nothing but stills and music and that...

isn't there a trailer out there with real footage?

-t

Crowish
07-22-2009, 08:09 PM
YouTube - Alice In Wonderland Teaser Trailer!!!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IHq4evIyVk)

Wadesc
07-22-2009, 08:30 PM
Thats it,

Its alright. But its way more "Tim Burton" than "Tom Petty"

Its bizarre enough, but I would say a little too dark.

tangent4ronpaul
07-22-2009, 08:35 PM
YouTube - Alice In Wonderland Teaser Trailer!!!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IHq4evIyVk)

Thanks!

wish it was a bit longer - and I don't think that contained much footage from the film - but yes - closer to the video game.

-t

erowe1
07-24-2009, 07:57 AM
Here's one:
http://www.moviefone.com/insidemovies/2009/07/23/alice-in-wonderland-trailer-tim-burton/?icid=main|main|dl2|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.moviefo ne.com%2Finsidemovies%2F2009%2F07%2F23%2Falice-in-wonderland-trailer-tim-burton%2F