PDA

View Full Version : How Can We Encourage More Minorities to Love Libertarianism?

clb09
07-22-2009, 02:21 PM
The Demoncratic party has done a great job mind-fu**ing the minority American populations.

Is there any way to appeal to these groups and get them to fall out of love with the Government Breast?

brandon
07-22-2009, 02:23 PM
//

ravedown
07-22-2009, 02:23 PM
and bite the hand that feeds?

FrankRep
07-22-2009, 02:25 PM
The Democrats promise them free government money, entitlements, and services.

How can we compete with that? All we offer is freedom.

heavenlyboy34
07-22-2009, 02:29 PM
ummm...read Rothbard's books/essays/articles aloud to them? :)

Feenix566
07-22-2009, 02:30 PM
By making Michael Steele our party chairman!

D'oh!!

Brown Sapper
07-22-2009, 02:34 PM
The grown ass man defense. (I'm a grown ass man and I don't need the government to take care of me)

nayjevin
07-22-2009, 02:38 PM
http://www.myspace.com/ampkillamusic

MelissaWV
07-22-2009, 02:45 PM
By not starting more collectivist BS threads and market research to find out what "the minorities" like.

Just a thought.

FrankRep
07-22-2009, 02:48 PM
By not starting more collectivist BS threads and market research to find out what "the minorities" like.

Just a thought.

You have points.

heavenlyboy34
07-22-2009, 02:51 PM

Just a thought.

I like your answer too. :cool:

clb09
07-22-2009, 03:42 PM

Just a thought.

Yeah, I guess not trying to encourage a larger group of people who can vote in actual elections on the local, state and national level to take a look at our cause is a great idea.

I think it would be cool to win some elections so that a proper dismantling of government programs can begin instead of this permanent "we don't win elections but at least we can kvetch in online forums" paradigm. :rolleyes:

http://www.veryfunnypics.com/pics/myspace/images/sarcasm.jpg

catdd
07-22-2009, 03:45 PM
If and when the economy gets so bad that the welfare system collapses...

Imperial
07-22-2009, 04:08 PM
The easy way is to start from a considered "leftist" perspective. So, start with how foreign adventurism, the drug war, and usurpations of civil liberties erode the individual's welfare and the welfare of minority groups in effect. From here you can venture into a base premise that the state is a coercive entity.

That is the point you can have a rational and critical discussion.

Zippyjuan
07-22-2009, 04:19 PM
For starters you will have to keep quiet some of the voices of Ron Paul supporters who are opposed to illegal immigrants or legal ones. They scare away the Latino voters.

clb09
07-22-2009, 04:25 PM
For starters you will have to keep quiet some of the voices of Ron Paul supporters who are opposed to illegal immigrants or legal ones. They scare away the Latino voters.

You may be surprised by how much legal immigrants (who worked their butts off to get here and jump through all of the legal hoops) DESPISE illegal immigrants who cut in line and cheat their way in.

It was an eye opener for me talking to the legal immigrants that I know about this subject.

jkr
07-22-2009, 04:30 PM
"weed"

Objectivist
07-22-2009, 04:41 PM
Asking them questions that are designed to self enlighten usually works.

mediahasyou
07-22-2009, 04:59 PM

Just a thought.

That was just what I was about to say.

unklejman
07-22-2009, 04:59 PM
Go into neighborhoods that have a high concentration of low income minorities and help them out. Show them that the government is not nearly as good as an individual that cares (of more if you can get your friends/church to go along). Develop relationships and then share with them the ideas of liberty and freedom.

kahless
07-22-2009, 06:25 PM
Liberals have done a great job defining themselves as advocates for minority groups. We need to do the same using reality of keeping the government out of your life and paycheck. No matter the race, most people are all the same since they want to keep what they earn and be left alone.

Epic
07-22-2009, 06:38 PM
[post deleted, i posted in wrong thread]

jmdrake
07-22-2009, 08:58 PM
The Demoncratic party has done a great job mind-fu**ing the minority American populations.

Is there any way to appeal to these groups and get them to fall out of love with the Government Breast?

Depends on the definition of "libertarianism". Limited government constitutionalism that Ron Paul pushes is an easy sell. Some of the hard core anarchy I've seen some push is not an easy sell. (I'm not going to argue with those that want that. I'm just telling you what sells). Consider this video.

YouTube - Prodigy of mobb deep talks about RON PAUL, obama and the NWO (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBmiMsf4cWA)

Oh, and the whole conspiracy thing sells well in the black community. There's a saying. Don't pee on me and tell me its raining. I've personally seen someone (my black Muslim barber) wake up after seeing movies like Endgame and the Obama Deception and realize Obama doesn't have our best interest in mind. We know something is rotten in Denmark.

nayjevin
07-28-2009, 09:16 AM

Proposed solutions shouldn't involve the hope to keep people from speaking their minds. i.e. using force against others.

Find a minority, figure out where they are on the scale, and figure out something that will bring that person a bit closer to the side of freedom.

Fozz
07-28-2009, 09:20 AM
I think there are many reasons for an American Muslim to support this movement. Ron Paul is anti-war, opposes American empire and meddling in Muslim countries, opposes the Patriot Act, doesn't take Israel's side, and strongly opposes generalizing groups.

Kludge
07-28-2009, 09:24 AM
Ostracizing the white supremacist movement, honest answers to the "racist newsletter" issue, and stopping the race jokes with Obama would be a good start, I imagine.

pcosmar
07-28-2009, 09:29 AM
Free Beer.

Seriously, Education.
However, educated and intelligent people are already a minority.

heavenlyboy34
07-28-2009, 10:05 AM

Logic won't work. Emotional appeal seems to be the only way to go. (as annoying as that is :p)

MelissaWV
07-28-2009, 04:12 PM
Yeah, I guess not trying to encourage a larger group of people who can vote in actual elections on the local, state and national level to take a look at our cause is a great idea.

I think it would be cool to win some elections so that a proper dismantling of government programs can begin instead of this permanent "we don't win elections but at least we can kvetch in online forums" paradigm. :rolleyes:

Let me see if I can explain this in a nice, slow, simple way...

"Ron Paul wants us to have our freedom and money back, the Government to be accountable, and a return to our Founding values." Sound good?

"Ron Paul wants us to have our freedom and money back, the Government to be accountable, and a return to our Founding values... but ESPECIALLY for black/red/yellow/brown people!" Sounds... better?

The trouble with this kind of "brainstorming" is that one first has to label something a "minority issue". There are some genuine issues that affect minorities more than others by default, such as illegal immigration and Affirmative Action. You will not, however, find that individuals appreciate the assumption they are pro-AA or pro-Illegal Immigration because of your perception of them. In fact, it's pretty repulsive. I find the implication that I'm somehow "pro-Illegal Immigration" to be insulting and ignorant. The reason people form that opinion is that many of them assume a cultural sameness amongst those they group together. A Mexican is not a Cuban is not a Chilean is not a Spaniard, etc..

If you want to draw in people currently on welfare, then what's the connection with minorities? Why not EVERYONE on welfare? Or is it that "white" people on welfare are somehow less desirable as a voter base?

Are the scattered posts regarding "attracting" minorities to the cause really a veiled attempt at a near-quota system? "Our movement doesn't have enough brown people... let's give away fried chicken!" I mean seriously, that is what some of you sound like.

I know it might surprise some of you, but there are intelligent minorities, and the pandering isn't worthwhile. If we are now going after unintelligent people, then strippers, beer, Bibles, appearances by hot celebrities, stints on reality television, and possibly a lot of half-truths and oversimplifications will help us out far more. Imagine Ron Paul on some Big Brother style show! He wants to govern the nation, but can he govern these lesbians and this emo guy with a pet iguana? I'm serious. That is what you can do to attract people who are also dumb enough to fall for "race specific" pandering.

Try encouraging people to love Libertarianism, and quit with the misperceptions. Almost everyone on the boards is a "minority" in some demographic or another. Check the numbers sometime :)

I'm a minority and I approved this message! :rolleyes:

Bucjason
07-28-2009, 05:06 PM
The majority of African Americans seem to wallow in a victim mentality , and feel they are owed an entitlement from the government for the wrong-doings of the past.

It will be extremely hard to break this mind-set. I suppose it could start with education , but good luck with that. They don't even teach economics in public schools anymore.

...and please , no one accuse me of being racist. I am just stating a fact.

speciallyblend
07-28-2009, 05:23 PM
do not nominate fools like mccain or bob barr! that is a great first step!

Young Paleocon
07-28-2009, 06:06 PM
Education and engage them in calm passionate discussion on morality e.g. what is right and wrong. I think it would be cool if wealthy benefactors or companies could start schools in minority areas that are free or discounted massively to accomodate the poor students and teach them austrian economics and the correct historical and philosophic perspective. Or ask them: Since the massive welfare state was instituted in the 1960's has your family's life gotten substantially better? Since minimum wage laws were instituted have you gotten richer or unemployed?

nayjevin
07-29-2009, 04:31 AM
"Our movement doesn't have enough brown people... let's give away fried chicken!"

Hahahha,, great post. I can see our own personal Frank Luntz minority focus group. 'First, you have to learn to act like minorities are human too...'

Try encouraging people to love Libertarianism, and quit with the misperceptions. Almost everyone on the boards is a "minority" in some demographic or another. Check the numbers sometime :)

I'm a minority and I approved this message! :rolleyes:

This!

AutoDas
07-29-2009, 05:29 AM
Or how do you even get more people? Obama would never have come close to becoming elected if whites didn't vote for him as a token of retribution ("I want to make history!"). Don't forget whites are also a minority in this world. But these people don't care about the real minorities—individuals.

andrewh817
07-29-2009, 03:46 PM
First...... stop referring to them as minorities and start calling them humans!!

acptulsa
08-07-2009, 10:13 AM
Protect the ones who embrace it from this:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=204217

MRoCkEd
08-07-2009, 10:16 AM
scout a talented young artist and have him rise to fame rapping about freedom