PDA

View Full Version : Hot dogs should carry a warning label

Matt Collins
07-22-2009, 01:57 PM
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-hot-dog23-2009jul23,1,2946755.story

"Warning: Consuming hot dogs and other processed meats increases the risk of cancer."

That's the label that a vegan advocacy group wants a New Jersey court to order Oscar Mayer, Hebrew National and other food companies to slap on hot dog packages.

The nonprofit Cancer Project filed a lawsuit today on behalf of three New Jersey plaintiffs asking the Essex County superior court to compel the companies to place cancer-risk warning labels on hot dog packages sold in New Jersey.

"Just as tobacco causes lung cancer, processed meats are linked to colon cancer," says Neal Barnard, president of the Cancer Project and an adjunct professor at the George Washington University medical school in Washington, D.C. "Companies that sell hot dogs are well aware of the danger, and their customers deserve the same information."

FrankRep
07-22-2009, 01:59 PM
Warning: Reading the LA Times may cause brain damage.

Zippyjuan
07-22-2009, 02:07 PM
Warning signs in CA are out of control. If you walk into say a drugstore or department store you are often greeted by a sign which says something like "This businesess sells certain items which contain compounds which may have an adverse effect on your health. " Ok- which ones? What compounds? Are they at hazardous levels? The sign is worthless because it gives no useful information.

acptulsa
07-22-2009, 02:09 PM
The sign is worthless because it gives no useful information.

Obviously the drug store's lawyers feel differently.

LittleLightShining
07-22-2009, 02:15 PM
Hot dogs are rock & roll. I don't care if they do have nitrates and nitrates. There is nothing like a natural casing dog on the grill in the summer. Nothing!

FrankRep
07-22-2009, 02:18 PM
It should be common knowledge that processed meats are horrible for you.

It's not I guess. :(

jsu718
07-22-2009, 02:24 PM
The hot dog isn't nearly as bad for you as the bun...

dannno
07-22-2009, 02:33 PM
Hot dogs are rock & roll. I don't care if they do have nitrates and nitrates. There is nothing like a natural casing dog on the grill in the summer. Nothing!

Trader Joe's meatless corndogs taste like real corndogs. I'll bet they'd pass a double-blind study. In fact, more people might choose the meatless version over the real thing simply cause it tastes so damn good.

I don't have any good suggestions for a meatless hotdog, just corndogs.

heavenlyboy34
07-22-2009, 02:33 PM
Trader Joe's meatless corndogs taste like real corndogs. I'll bet they'd pass a double-blind study. In fact, more people might choose the meatless version as the real thing simply cause it tastes so damn good.

I've had those, and like them as well. :cool::)

dannno
07-22-2009, 02:34 PM
The hot dog isn't nearly as bad for you as the bun...

Untrue.

http://www.alvaradostreetbakery.com/rolls/2004_HotDogBuns_l.jpg

LittleLightShining
07-22-2009, 02:36 PM
Trader Joe's meatless corndogs taste like real corndogs. I'll bet they'd pass a double-blind study. In fact, more people might choose the meatless version over the real thing simply cause it tastes so damn good.

Yes, but they don't have the snap of a natural casing dog. That's the best part.

dannno
07-22-2009, 02:41 PM
Yes, but they don't have the snap of a natural casing dog. That's the best part.

You mean the crunchy grill marks, right?

My house has two bbq's now, both charcoal, so I can start trying more fake meat stuff like hot dogs which I don't usually get. One is veggies only, that's my roommate's, and I got one that is omnivorous, mostly so guests can cook meat without my roommate freaking out.

Icymudpuppy
07-22-2009, 02:52 PM
I guess I'll just have to counter the cancer causing effects of the hotdog with the cancer reducing effects of THC... :D

jsu718
07-22-2009, 02:55 PM
Untrue.

http://www.alvaradostreetbakery.com/rolls/2004_HotDogBuns_l.jpg

You think "organic" and "whole wheat" make things any different? It's the same crap the grain lobby has been feeding people for years. Still terrible for you.

Brian4Liberty
07-22-2009, 08:47 PM
Obviously the drug store's lawyers feel differently.

Actually, it was a CA Proposition about labeling any building that contains any thing or product that might cause cancer, birth defects, etc. So the signs are now placed on just about every building. :rolleyes:

Charlie41
07-22-2009, 09:31 PM
Just a quick question. At what point do you not believe what the "experts" tell you?

If I remember right, in 74 the doctors said that the smell of a new car would cause cancer. I remember this, because my dad had just bought a new truck, and it kinda freaked me out. In the 50's (before my time) the Doctors said menthol sigs. was actually good for you. In the late 80's the doctors said red meat was bad for you, then recanted their statement 2 years later. now they say is bad again.

My grand parents lived to their late 80's they ate eggs and bacon for breakfast, a sandwich for dinner, and usually a very heavy supper. None of them was over weight, none of them had cancer, none of them had high blood pressure.

Just something to think about.

dannno
07-22-2009, 09:38 PM
You think "organic" and "whole wheat" make things any different? It's the same crap the grain lobby has been feeding people for years. Still terrible for you.

Grain lobby? You've gotta be f'ing kidding me. Grains are great for you, especially whole grains, AND ESPECIALLY SPROUTED GRAINS.

For one thing, where does that picture say "whole wheat" ??

There is nothing fucking wrong with wheat anyway.

Sprouts are rich in digestible energy, bioavailable vitamins, minerals, amino acids, proteins, beneficial enzymes and phytochemicals, as these are necessary for a germinating plant to grow[1] . These nutrients are essential for human health.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprouting#Nutritional_information

jsu718
07-22-2009, 10:49 PM
Grain lobby? You've gotta be f'ing kidding me. Grains are great for you, especially whole grains, AND ESPECIALLY SPROUTED GRAINS.

For one thing, where does that picture say "whole wheat" ??

There is nothing fucking wrong with wheat anyway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprouting#Nutritional_information

Top left corner, 100% whole wheat.

idirtify
07-22-2009, 11:36 PM
Warning signs in CA are out of control. If you walk into say a drugstore or department store you are often greeted by a sign which says something like "This businesess sells certain items which contain compounds which may have an adverse effect on your health. " Ok- which ones? What compounds? Are they at hazardous levels? The sign is worthless because it gives no useful information.

Speaking of such signs:

I want to be the first litigant to fall over a “caution: wet floor” sign and sue a store for spilling my hot coffee on myself, WHEN THE FLOOR WAS NOT EVEN WET!

Visualize this one-frame political cartoon:
As you enter the store on the floor you see a hundred of those yellow “wet floor” signs, except each one you see has a longer message than the previous. They go something like this: 1) Caution: Wet Floor”; 2) “Caution: Wet Floor Signs”; 3) “Caution: Wet Floor Sign Signs”; 4) “Caution: Wet Floor Sign Sign Signs”; ad infinitum. lol

idirtify
07-22-2009, 11:38 PM

But the soy used to make tvp is possibly worse. See “soy antinutrients”.

Sandman33
07-23-2009, 12:49 AM
I think vegans need to shut the fuck up and go eat their damn beans.

Should be a warning sign on my fist saying "May cause damage to stupid vegans face"