PDA

View Full Version : Dont be a www.ronpaul2008.com squatter!!!

quickmike
09-25-2007, 02:07 PM
Everyone needs to stop going to the ronpaul2008.com site and squatting. I know its neat to watch the total go up on the thermometer, but its hogging valuable bandwidth and people trying to donate wont be able to get to the donation link. If that happens enough, they might say "screw it".

Its a free country, do what you want, but I think this is a bad thing. We need those people donating to be able to get on easily. Every time that thermometer updates, it takes a little bit of bandwidth usage to update each person that is on the site at the moment.

Just a thought.

ctb619
09-25-2007, 02:07 PM
agreed

Dave Wood
09-25-2007, 02:09 PM
Everyone needs to stop going to the ronpaul2008.com site and squatting. I know its neat to watch the total go up on the thermometer, but its hogging valuable bandwidth and people trying to donate wont be able to get to the donation link. If that happens enough, they might say "screw it".

Its a free country, do what you want, but I think this is a bad thing. We need those people donating to be able to get on easily.

Just a thought.

Tell us how you really feel Mike.................you are dead on I think WE f***ed it up:eek:

literatim
09-25-2007, 02:09 PM
I agree.

OceanMachine7
09-25-2007, 02:10 PM
Yes, all we need is one person watching and reporting it to the rest of the board.

awigo50
Maybe we should designate a person to give updates? is their a way to mirror the site?

quickmike
Tell us how you really feel Mike.................you are dead on I think WE f***ed it up:eek:

I admit, I was doing it too LOL but after thinking about it, we should back off a bit maybe. I noticed it was very difficult about 20 min ago to get on the site............. took forever.

dsentell
09-25-2007, 02:13 PM
I agree, too. I have been watching off and on, but we need to let those who want to donate get on.

There is a thread on here that has hourly updates.

I am off!!!!

reduen
09-25-2007, 02:13 PM
Just so it is known, I myself have been off that site for about 20min now!!!

I am doing my part! :mad: (but not liking it..)

ghemminger
09-25-2007, 02:15 PM
Just so it is known, I myself have been off that site for about 20min now!!!

I am doing my part! :mad: (but not liking it..)

JUST when we have something going - something always has to HAPPEN

specsaregood
09-25-2007, 02:16 PM
Maybe they shouldn't have distributed the code to put that contol on our own websites!

IRO-bot
09-25-2007, 02:16 PM
They have a new, news article on the website. The Hill dot com.

1000-points-of-fright
09-25-2007, 02:19 PM
It's actually The Man trying to keep RP down. That's it isn't it? You are all saboteurs working for the Illuminati.

quickmike
09-25-2007, 02:22 PM
It's actually The Man trying to keep RP down. That's it isn't it? You are all saboteurs working for the Illuminati.

FOILED AGAIN!!!!!!

I WOULD HAVE GOTTEN AWAY WITH IT TOO, IF IT WERENT FOR THOSE DAMN KIDS!!!!

LibertyEagle
09-25-2007, 02:27 PM
Does anyone know if they plan to put the dollar amount back up there?

TexMac
09-25-2007, 02:28 PM
Jeff Frazee says they have a database problem. They're working on it.

TheIndependent
09-25-2007, 02:29 PM
Every time that thermometer updates, it takes a little bit of bandwidth usage to update each person that is on the site at the moment.

Actually, it doesn't take hardly anything but a simple integer transfer from the underlying flash app to the client (where the movie has already downloaded in full from the host server). As long as you aren't reloading (which would redownload the entire movie rather than the simple integer update), the bandwidth use is negligible. Using dynamic Flash was intelligent in that onus of the processing power is on the visitor's machine. :D If t'were an image like it used to be, reloading would be necessary and that would definitely stress the server's resources.

In essence: Just sit there, but don't reload the entire page, alright?

// in the biz for almost a decade

Dave Wood
09-25-2007, 02:33 PM
Every time that thermometer updates, it takes a little bit of bandwidth usage to update each person that is on the site at the moment.

Actually, it doesn't take hardly anything but a simple integer transfer from the underlying flash app to the client (where the movie has already downloaded in full from the host server). As long as you aren't reloading (which would redownload the entire movie rather than the simple integer update), the bandwidth use is negligible. Using dynamic Flash was intelligent in that onus of the processing power is on the visitor's machine. :D

In essence: Just sit there, but don't reload the entire page, alright?

// in the biz for almost a decade

HUH?:eek: Welcome to the boards but man, I have no idea what you just said:D

TheIndependent
09-25-2007, 02:35 PM
lol. I was just clarifying how their use of Flash was a far better choice--and you can sit there and watch the thermometer all you want, as a result--because it doesn't tax the server's resources like that area did when it was an image.

With Flash, you don't have to reload, and the bandwidth use is incredibly negligible. Had they left it as an image, you'd have to reload constantly and the bandwidth penalty would be severe.

quickmike
09-25-2007, 02:35 PM
HUH?:eek: Welcome to the boards but man, I have no idea what you just said:D

basically what hes saying is that the thermometer updates independantly from the rest of the site, which is true. as long as youre not updating the whole page, it shouldnt be a problem.

LibertyEagle
09-25-2007, 02:36 PM
He said it's ok to camp out on the site, just don't refresh the page.

The Only Woj
09-25-2007, 02:36 PM
go to my thread for instructions on downloading the tracker, this should save them some bandwidth

TheIndependent
09-25-2007, 02:37 PM
basically what hes saying is that the thermometer updates independantly from the rest of the site, which is true. as long as youre not updating the whole page, it shouldnt be a problem.

Yup. Example: Instead of reloading 100k of content, using Flash enabled them to effectively transfer the processing to your machine. Instead of using 100k of bandwidth to see updates, you're only using maybe 1-2k, if that--and that's just a number being fed to update the therm. :)

So enjoy (but don't reload)!

ACJohn
09-25-2007, 02:42 PM
Step 1

Hello, my name is John and I am a RP Donation thermometer addict.

quickmike
09-25-2007, 02:43 PM
Step 1

Hello, my name is John and I am a RP Donation thermometer addict.

EVERYONE - "Hello John!!!"

Cowlesy
09-25-2007, 02:44 PM
EVERYONE - "Hello John!!!"

hahahahaha

ItsTime
09-25-2007, 02:45 PM
why are you watching it now? There are no numbers there lol

Sematary
09-25-2007, 02:46 PM
why are you watching it now? There are no numbers there lol

Not only that but the last update says 3:03 p.m.

IRO-bot
09-25-2007, 02:47 PM
Is it time for the Trinity Prayer?

ACJohn
09-25-2007, 02:47 PM
Using a micrometer to measure the donations, if you divide by PI and multiply by the circumference of my tinfoil hat you get my IQ.

Original_Intent
09-25-2007, 02:48 PM
It also went from 5 days and ~8hours remaining to now just barely 5 days and a few minutes. It is seriously fubar

reduen
09-25-2007, 02:49 PM
Using a micrometer to measure the donations, if you divide by PI and multiply by the circumference of my tinfoil hat you get my IQ.

Ha!!

quickmike
09-25-2007, 02:52 PM
I think someone clogged the series of tubes on the internet that they send the thermometer numbers through.

Sorry if I seem a little too tech savvy for you guys, but thats the easiest way I can explain it.

TUBES ^^^^

IRO-bot
09-25-2007, 02:55 PM
I think someone clogged the series of tubes on the internet that they send the thermometer numbers through.

Sorry if I seem a little too tech savvy for you guys, but thats the easiest way I can explain it.

TUBES ^^^^

This is the best thing I have read all day.

ACJohn
09-25-2007, 03:13 PM
Al Gore needs to come fix his internet idea. Al come clean out our tubes.

ghemminger
09-25-2007, 03:38 PM
Bumpity Bump - GEt off the Rp Website!