PDA

View Full Version : Is Your iPod Unpatriotic? Why American shouldn't "Buy American"

yongrel
07-22-2009, 11:28 AM
From Reason.tv

YouTube - Is Your iPod Unpatriotic? Why America Shouldn't "Buy American" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWQ_UV-9Wb4)

Brassmouth
07-22-2009, 11:46 AM
Awesome video.

I can't stand those union drones. They'll wreck the country with their protectionist bullshit.

Anyone against totally free trade is against freedom.

If anyone wants an example of a totally "protected" economy, look at North Korea.

mediahasyou
07-22-2009, 12:23 PM
libertarians should buy underground though. http://agorism.info/docs/NewLibertarianManifesto.pdf ;)

tangent4ronpaul
07-22-2009, 12:32 PM
Except that we don't have totally free trade.

Imagine if we had another war, complete with wolfpacks...

-t

0zzy
07-22-2009, 12:43 PM
that was weally weally good.

speaking of ipods:

A Chinese man who worked on assembling a new ipod committed suicide once the project was leak.

Ipods are serious business in China.

__27__
07-22-2009, 12:43 PM
This video is false advertising. I was informed in another thread that once American dollars leave the American economy they are gone forever. ;)

akihabro
07-22-2009, 12:45 PM
I don't even own an ipod.

Cowlesy
07-22-2009, 12:51 PM
I don't even own an ipod.

Witch! Witch!

coyote_sprit
07-22-2009, 12:58 PM
Prefer the Zen, SD cards are cheap and unlike the Apple Ipod hard drive(my 5th gen Ipod's hard drive went out) if a single SD card fails the rest of them are safe. Also have a thing for portable gaming consoles namely the PSP and the GP2X, especially the GP2X.

armstrong
07-22-2009, 01:03 PM
do not need an Ipod or cell phone or lap top or cable tv

Endgame
07-22-2009, 01:06 PM
I won't buy any American product that's union made. These organizations are a cancer.

Brassmouth
07-22-2009, 01:11 PM
i won't buy any american product that's union made. These organizations are a cancer.

+∞

yongrel
07-22-2009, 01:16 PM
For those of you who support the ideas and conclusions of this video (I don't assume everyone here at RPF supports free trade), I'd encourage you to read this petition from Freedom To Trade: http://www.freedomtotrade.org/petition

Might be of interest.

BenIsForRon
07-22-2009, 01:23 PM
This video makes the assumption that global trade is good for America. It's only good so long as the people making our stuff have oppressive governments that destroy their environments.

Brassmouth
07-22-2009, 01:28 PM
This video makes the assumption that global trade is good for America.

That's because global trade is very good for everyone involved, because of comparative advantage. Any basic economics class or book will teach you that.

It's definitely good despite the fact that the people making our stuff have oppressive governments that destroy their environments.

Fixed.

BenIsForRon
07-22-2009, 01:35 PM
It's definitely good despite the fact that the people making our stuff have oppressive governments that destroy their environments.

Do you really believe that? Freedom and a sound environment are the only ways to build sustainable wealth that lasts generations. Otherwise it's just the big dogs scrambling for their piece of the pie... or bone... you get my point.

Romantarchist
07-22-2009, 02:34 PM
If these union assholes want to keep American manufacturing jobs in America, why don’t they support Right To Work laws? Oh, right. Because they’re UNIONS and therefore are inherently opposed to anything that lessens the considerable power and control that they hold over their workers and the companies they claim they’re defending us from. The city I live in is 15% manufacturing based and one of the reasons all the manufacturing came here is because we don’t let unions bully us around like they do in West Virginia (and Pennsylvania Ohio and Michigan).

I drive a Japanese Nissan and I have no shame or guilt about it.

sratiug
07-22-2009, 04:16 PM
Again, I will point out that American products made in America are subject to many taxes that impede free trade in America and make imports artificially cheap. Why do free traders believe it is more important to have free trade with foreigners than to have free trade in the states?

We don't have free trade internationally, we have cheap imports partially subsidized by the taxes American workers and American businesses pay to keep our government running while foreigners pay zero.

Replacing internal taxes with a flat tariff would give us free trade here and spread the negative impact more equally between American producers (since Americans will still pay the entire tax bill - American consumers and American producers who use foreign parts) and foreign producers profiting from our economy.

Objectivist
07-22-2009, 04:26 PM
Good video there. I won't purchase anything from any company that received government bailouts or is partially owned by the government via preferred shares.

Here's another example of how trade benefits us all.
YouTube - Power of the Market - The Pencil (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5Gppi-O3a8)

Objectivist
07-22-2009, 04:34 PM
The real reason LPDs have historically supported labor unions was for the backing they needed to expand government employee unions. Has anyone noticed that manufacturing in the 50s accounted for 75% of the US economy, and today manufacturing accounts for 7.5% of the US economy? They used the brotherhood of union workers for their own gain and now that they've reached the numbers they need, they can cut loose of the little that labor unions have to offer, numbers wise...