PDA

View Full Version : Obama won because white voters over 45 wouldn’t support John McCain

bobbyw24
07-22-2009, 09:06 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090720/ap_on_go_ot/us_voter_turnout

Voting rate dips in 2008 as older whites stay home
By HOPE YEN, Associated Press Writer
Mon Jul 20, 5:23 pm ET

WASHINGTON – For all the attention generated by Barack Obama's candidacy, the share of eligible voters who actually cast ballots in November declined for the first time in a dozen years. The reason: Older whites with little interest in backing either Barack Obama or John McCain stayed home.

Census figures released Monday show about 63.6 percent of all U.S. citizens ages 18 and older, or 131.1 million people, voted last November.

Although that represented an increase of 5 million voters — virtually all of them minorities — the turnout relative to the population of eligible voters was a decrease from 63.8 percent in 2004.

Ohio and Pennsylvania were among those showing declines in white voters, helping Obama carry those battleground states.

"While the significance of minority votes for Obama is clearly key, it cannot be overlooked that reduced white support for a Republican candidate allowed minorities to tip the balance in many slow-growing 'purple' states," said William H. Frey, a demographer for the Brookings Institution, referring to key battleground states that don't notably tilt Democrat or Republican.

"The question I would ask is if a continuing stagnating economy could change that," he said.

According to census data, 66 percent of whites voted last November, down 1 percentage point from 2004. Blacks increased their turnout by 5 percentage points to 65 percent, nearly matching whites. Hispanics improved turnout by 3 percentage points, and Asians by 3.5 percentage points, each reaching a turnout of nearly 50 percent. In all, minorities made up nearly 1 in 4 voters in 2008, the most diverse electorate ever.

By age, voters 18-to-24 were the only group to show a statistically significant increase in turnout, with 49 percent casting ballots, compared with 47 percent in 2004.

Blacks had the highest turnout rate among this age group — 55 percent, or an 8 percentage point jump from 2004. In contrast, turnout for whites 18-24 was basically flat at 49 percent. Asians and Hispanics in that age group increased to 41 percent and 39 percent, respectively.

Among whites 45 and older, turnout fell 1.5 percentage point to just under 72 percent.

Asked to identify their reasons for not voting, 46 percent of all whites said they didn't like the candidates, weren't interested or had better things to do, up from 41 percent in 2004. Hispanics had similar numbers for both years.

Not surprisingly, blacks showed a sharp increase in interest.

Among the blacks who failed to vote last fall most cited problems such as illness, being out of town or transportation issues. Just 16 percent of nonvoting blacks cited disinterest, down from 37 percent in 2004.

Among other findings:

_The decline in percentage turnout was the first in a presidential election since 1996. At that time, voter participation fell to 58.4 percent — the lowest in decades — as Democrat Bill Clinton won an easy re-election over Republican Bob Dole amid a strong economy.

_The voting rate in 2008 was highest in the Midwest (66 percent). The other regions were about 63 percent each.

_Minnesota and the District of Columbia had the highest turnout, each with 75 percent. Utah and Hawaii — Obama's birth state — were among the lowest, each with 52 percent.

The figures are the latest to highlight a generational rift between younger, increasingly minority voters and an older white population.

A recent Pew Research Center poll found almost 8 in 10 people believe there is a major difference in the point of view of younger and older people today, mostly over social values. It was the largest generation gap since divisions 40 years ago over Vietnam, civil rights and women's liberation.

Last November, voters under 30 cast ballots for Obama by a 2-to-1 ratio. Still, because of their smaller numbers — in population and turnout — young voters weren't critical to the overall outcome and only made a difference in North Carolina and Indiana, according to Scott Keeter, Pew's director of survey research.

The census figures are based on the Current Population Survey, which asked respondents after Election Day about their turnout. The figures for "white" refer to the whites who are not of Hispanic ethnicity.

torchbearer
07-22-2009, 09:09 AM
They would have voted for Paul.

kahless
07-22-2009, 09:12 AM
I am not quite 45 but close enough to say that us older white males have had to listen to his lying double talk for years, know his record as a RINO and therefore recognized recent Conservative speak for what it was.

We also witnessed the liberal media, particularly the NBC news division NBC-MSNBC actively promote for him for President since the early 90s. That says allot.

acptulsa
07-22-2009, 09:16 AM
Blame his mother. She said we'd have to hold our noses and vote for her son. I do believe more than a few people were quite intent on proving her wrong.

Ma'am, I was raised to have respect for my elders, and to be polite to women. You know--a proper southern raising. But there's just no polite way to say it--you're an arrogant, presumptuous old sow, and helped cost your son the election. Not that he didn't make plenty of mistakes himself, but you did help.

Krugerrand
07-22-2009, 09:28 AM
if he'd've voted agaisnt Bush's bailout, he'd've won.

pcosmar
07-22-2009, 09:33 AM
Obama won because McCain was (and is) a loser. He was artificially promoted to lose.
Just as Obama's image was artificially created and promoted to win.

The game was rigged from the start.

And will be again.

catdd
07-22-2009, 10:19 AM
Obama could not have handled Ron Paul in a debate on any issue. If RP had ran against him all you would have heard from the dems would have been smear tactics and race cards.

AuH20
07-22-2009, 10:20 AM
the 70% of high school dropouts certainly didn't hurt ;)

JK/SEA
07-22-2009, 11:24 AM
I'm pretty sure McCain if elected POTUS, would have stopped the bailouts and brought the troops home like Obama.....eh?...

excuse me while i go vomit...

Krugerrand
07-22-2009, 11:43 AM
I'm pretty sure McCain if elected POTUS, would have stopped the bailouts and brought the troops home like Obama.....eh?...

excuse me while i go vomit...

hard to see much different happening that what has happened. The silver lining ... McCain would have been labeled a free-market person as the economy collapses and free-market approaches would have been wrongly blamed.

Dr.3D
07-22-2009, 11:46 AM
I'm white and over 45 years old, and I didn't vote for Obama or McCain. I did vote though.

Is this trying to say any vote other than for McCain was a vote for Obama?

heavenlyboy34
07-22-2009, 11:48 AM
Obama won because McCain was (and is) a loser. He was artificially promoted to lose.
Just as Obama's image was artificially created and promoted to win.

The game was rigged from the start.

And will be again.

qft, :cool:

acptulsa
07-22-2009, 11:52 AM
I'm white and over 45 years old, and I didn't vote for Obama or McCain. I did vote though.

Of course. What else has the msm ever tried to say?

Krugerrand
07-22-2009, 12:05 PM

I believe the article is saying many people not wanting to vote for McCain or Obama did not bother to vote. You were ignored in this study.

Matt Collins
07-22-2009, 12:28 PM
Obama beat McCain in North Carolina by 14k votes. Bob Barr got 25k votes in North Carolina.

bobbyw24
07-22-2009, 06:28 PM
I don't understand why more black Americans are not libertarians

paulitics
07-22-2009, 07:21 PM

I agree.

speciallyblend
07-22-2009, 08:01 PM
Blame his mother. She said we'd have to hold our noses and vote for her son. I do believe more than a few people were quite intent on proving her wrong.

Ma'am, I was raised to have respect for my elders, and to be polite to women. You know--a proper southern raising. But there's just no polite way to say it--you're an arrogant, presumptuous old sow, and helped cost your son the election. Not that he didn't make plenty of mistakes himself, but you did help.

blame the gop, his mother was right!

jmdrake
07-22-2009, 08:20 PM

Exactly! John McCain threw the election the day he said he wanted to "make a joint statement about the economy with Obama" and proceeded to back the bailout. When he "suspended" the campaign he should have just dropped out altogether and made room for a real free market candidate.

jmdrake
07-22-2009, 08:24 PM
I don't understand why more black Americans are not libertarians

Same reason most whites aren't libertarian? Most people have no idea what libertarian is. And the GOP has given conservatism in general a bad name in some circles. I can tell you this much. Many blacks are concerned about the "hate crimes" bill. And the congressional black caucus initially voted against the Bush bailout. It wouldn't have passed if Obama hadn't personally lobbied them. I'm not sure what excuses the republican congressmen who switched their votes have.