PDA

View Full Version : Demographics -- Ethnicity

Kludge
07-22-2009, 03:52 AM
Demographics List (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?p=2222435)

LibertiORDeth
07-22-2009, 04:03 AM
100% of the forum is caucasian/white.

RM918
07-22-2009, 05:59 AM
Pretty much any internet poll I find tends to be a vast white majority.

Pod
07-22-2009, 06:47 AM
LOL. What do these choices have to do with "ethnicity"?

Is somebody an ethnic white person? An ethnic Middle Easterner? :rolleyes:

Kludge
07-22-2009, 06:56 AM
LOL. What do these choices have to do with "ethnicity"?

Is somebody an ethnic white person? An ethnic Middle Easterner? :rolleyes:

I don't understand your point.

You're arguing that whites or Arabs don't share extraordinary common heritage?

Pod
07-22-2009, 07:28 AM
I don't understand your point.

You're arguing that whites or Arabs don't share extraordinary common heritage?

Im arguing Americans dont know hack shit what ethnicity is. Ethnicity is Welsh, or Catalan. Lapp or Ibo. Han or Russian. Hungarian, Bulgarian, Kurd, Lur, Balochi, Pashtun, Punjabi, Tamil, Tajik, Uzbek, Korean.

Things that actually mean something. Not bullshit like "Asian", "white", "black", "Middle Eastern".

Kludge
07-22-2009, 07:31 AM
Ethnicity is Welsh, or Catalan. Lapp or Ibo. Han or Russian. Hungarian, Bulgarian, Kurd, Lur, Balochi, Pashtun, Punjabi, Tamil, Tajik, Uzbek, Korean.

That wouldn't hold any relevance in US politics. Obama isn't a Nigerian (or was it Kenyan???), he's (half) black. He got an overwhelming majority of the black vote. McCain's white. He got a majority of the white vote. Sotomayor isn't Puerto Rican, she's latina.

pcosmar
07-22-2009, 07:37 AM
Descendant of Noah.

Elwar
07-22-2009, 07:45 AM
My race is human.

WhiteHaven
07-22-2009, 07:53 AM
I am white.

erowe1
07-22-2009, 07:58 AM
Could you please provide definitions for all of these. How do I know which one I am?

Kludge
07-22-2009, 07:58 AM
Could you please provide definitions for all of these. How do I know which one I am?

Idunno, post a picture of yourself.

erowe1
07-22-2009, 08:01 AM

So you'll be able to tell my ethnicity based on what I look like? So it's a physical characteristic of some kind?

Kludge
07-22-2009, 08:06 AM
So you'll be able to tell my ethnicity based on what I look like? So it's a physical characteristic of some kind?

There are quite a few different ways to tell one's ethnicity. Most accurate would be a family history going back to the first of your family to emigrate (assuming anyone in your family emigrated in "modern" history) to give a decent area of origin. Facial features would be the other easy way to guesstimate your area of origin, though probably less accurate than just asking your relatives would be. If you're mixed, we could guesstimate which ethnicities' common characteristics appear to be the most evident in you.

pcosmar
07-22-2009, 08:16 AM
I am white.

Damn.
What a strange color for a human.
You are human aren't you?

http://sporeflections.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/white-rabbit-bunny-photograph1.jpg

http://topflightaviculture.com/imgs/White%20Dove.JPG

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1255/540629480_0198bee033.jpg

erowe1
07-22-2009, 08:17 AM

I uploaded a picture of myself. Does it help?

Natalie
07-22-2009, 08:22 AM
I voted Hispanic just so there will be more responses other than "white." I'm actually only half Hispanic. I never know which box to check when I fill out forms :confused:

Young Paleocon
07-22-2009, 08:24 AM
I am not a ghost nor from the Caucus Mountains, I am a European-American. Ethnicity's include German, Irish, Scot, English, Dutch, and maybe some Czech. Poll fails because it's arbitrary groupings are about as vague as they are on government documents.

Danke
07-22-2009, 08:26 AM
I'm a caucasian native American.

Icymudpuppy
07-22-2009, 08:38 AM
I voted Hispanic just so there will be more responses other than "white." I'm actually only half Hispanic. I never know which box to check when I fill out forms :confused:

And cute as a button too if your avatar is your picture.

I'm an American Mutt. Mutts are the best dogs, so we must be the best people too. ;)

eduardo89
07-22-2009, 08:55 AM
I'm white, but also hispanic...although no one believes me I'm Mexican, you know with the dark blond hair and blue eyes...

kahless
07-22-2009, 08:57 AM
Poll has no option for Klingon. Fail!

Kludge
07-22-2009, 09:00 AM
Poll has no option for Klingon. Fail!

I'm sorry! I'm sorry!

Please, forgive me!

Mandrik
07-22-2009, 09:03 AM
Marked other. My parents, aunts, uncles, etc. were all born in Greece and didn't come over to the US until the late 60's. Many of my cousins were born in Greece, but I was born here. The cultural ties are still strong, obviously.

muh_roads
07-22-2009, 10:17 AM
Pacific Islander Pride Worldwide

no not really.

Honky

Kludge
07-22-2009, 10:25 AM
Honky

Ha! We were talking in chat a few days ago about calling all our white selves honkies to protest hating "hate" speech

PennCustom4RP
07-22-2009, 04:51 PM
Hispanic or Latino is not an ethnic description or race, it is an association based on language, generally Spanish but could be any language with Latin roots, including French, Italian etc. so technically, people from these countries could be considered Latino due to language.
Mexicans and other New World Hispanics are the result of White European Spaniards, mixed with Native tribes people found here. Mixed race people who speak Spanish, nothing more.
Whats added to this confusion is the Black/Hispanic option, which basically is an African who speaks Spanish...So you see...the language is the only unifying element.

German/Dutch Pennsylvanian

Young Paleocon
07-22-2009, 05:04 PM
I think that Middle Eastern/ Arab would piss off some Kurds, Persians, Pashtuns, Baluch, Turks, and well everyone not Arab in the Middle East.

teamrican1
07-22-2009, 05:14 PM
Hispanic or Latino is not an ethnic description or race, it is an association based on language, generally Spanish but could be any language with Latin roots, including French, Italian etc. so technically, people from these countries could be considered Latino due to language.
Mexicans and other New World Hispanics are the result of White European Spaniards, mixed with Native tribes people found here. Mixed race people who speak Spanish, nothing more.
Whats added to this confusion is the Black/Hispanic option, which basically is an African who speaks Spanish...So you see...the language is the only unifying element.
German/Dutch Pennsylvanian

Yeah. The OP is confusing race, ethnicity, and national origin. For example, Gisele Bündchen is white. The ethnic heritage of her family is German. Her nationality is Brazilian. Because of this last thing, she is a "proud Latina woman" like Judge Sotomayor. But Sotomayor's race is mulatto (mixture of black and white). Her ethnic background is Spanish and African. And her nationality Puerto Rican. She's also "Hispanic". Gisele on the other hand, while being latina is NOT Hispanic because Brazil is a Portuguese founded country as opposed to a Spanish one.

BuddyRey
07-22-2009, 05:46 PM
I don't think anybody is purely one ethnicity, but I could be wrong. I'm a little bit of everything, from Scots-Irish and Austrian Jew, to Cherokee, French Hugonaut, etc. etc. etc.

When asked for my race on applications, I just put "Human", both to be cheeky and to make a point.

Liberty Star
07-22-2009, 05:51 PM
We have only 2.5% mideastern descent arab/jewish folks here?

Surprsing results of the poll.

Wadesc
07-22-2009, 06:37 PM
Many Hispanic Ron Paul supporters here in Houston.

Just anecdotal, but interesting nonetheless.

Bman
07-22-2009, 06:40 PM
I'm a descendant of palatine immigrants.

tangent4ronpaul
07-22-2009, 06:50 PM
Other...

http://www.crowdedskies.com/images/new_grey.jpg

-t

James Madison
07-22-2009, 10:52 PM
There should be Reptilian option.

James Madison
07-22-2009, 11:06 PM
We have only 2.5% mideastern descent arab/jewish folks here?

I'm a quarter Arab if that counts. I'm also a quarter American Indian and half northern European. Believe me, I don't know what to check on forms either. :D

South Park Fan
07-22-2009, 11:29 PM
I am English, French, Russian Jew, and Baltic Jew. My race is 2K.

Pod
07-23-2009, 08:36 AM
That wouldn't hold any relevance in US politics. Obama isn't a Nigerian (or was it Kenyan???), he's (half) black. He got an overwhelming majority of the black vote. McCain's white. He got a majority of the white vote. Sotomayor isn't Puerto Rican, she's latina.

Then invent another word. "Ethnicity" is already taken.

And Kenyan isn`t an ethnicity. Neither is Nigerian.

acptulsa
07-23-2009, 08:39 AM

I know for a fact that we have more than two native Americans here. So, it doesn't seem to be generating accurate numbers.

Kludge
07-23-2009, 08:39 AM
Then invent another word. "Ethnicity" is already taken.

And Kenyan isn`t an ethnicity. Neither is Nigerian.

Do you have a (source for your) definition, or maybe a list of which ethnicities are "valid"?

erowe1
07-23-2009, 08:50 AM
Do you have a (source for your) definition, or maybe a list of which ethnicities are "valid"?

I don't know what his source might be. But "ethnicity" is based on the Greek ethnos, which means nation. My nationality is American, which isn't on your list. My wife (who happens to have darker skin than I do, and folds of fat at the inner corners of her eye, and straight course black hair, such physical features as predominate among the populations of southeast Asian countries) is also an American. It seems like you might be working with the idea that the various members of the human race belong to different races. I'm familiar with that idea, since it seems like most people hold to it. But since I don't believe that different races actually exist, and since the options given don't reflect nationalities, it's hard for me to answer the question.

mediahasyou
07-23-2009, 10:13 AM
My race is human.

We have so much in common.

jkr
07-23-2009, 10:59 AM
born here raised here for generations, my people are Native Americans.

F eugenic lables

Elwar
07-23-2009, 11:08 AM
I too put down "Native American". I was born in Tecumseh, Michigan, USA.

I answer this to all government polls where I am "required" to answer (see employer required quota surveys). Otherwise I put "Refuse to answer".

Doing anything based upon one's heritage or the amount of melanin in their skin ignores individuality in exchange for collectivism.

racist poll is racist

Danke
07-23-2009, 11:12 AM
I too put down "Native American". I was born in Tecumseh, Michigan, USA.

I answer this to all government polls where I am "required" to answer (see employer required quota surveys). Otherwise I put "Refuse to answer".

"Refuse to answer" probably means "White" to the bureaucrats. :D:p

mczerone
07-23-2009, 11:27 AM
My race is human.

I am not a ghost nor from the Caucus Mountains, I am a European-American. Ethnicity's include German, Irish, Scot, English, Dutch, and maybe some Czech. Poll fails because it's arbitrary groupings are about as vague as they are on government documents.

I'm a caucasian native American.

I don't think anybody is purely one ethnicity, but I could be wrong. I'm a little bit of everything, from Scots-Irish and Austrian Jew, to Cherokee, French Hugonaut, etc. etc. etc.

When asked for my race on applications, I just put "Human", both to be cheeky and to make a point.

Great posts, everyone.

I put "other", as I was raised by a small group of people without an ethnic label in a small town near a Great Lake.

The parts of my family history that are known have some people migrating from Germany about 100 years ago, some from Poland about 150 years ago, some from a Welsh area about 300 years ago, and a bunch of "we don't know". Entire branches of my family tree spent decades on the frontiers, and my family always hinted that there may be non-European members in there somewhere.

I am myself, and I hold no stronger bond to any one random human than any other, aside from those who are immediate family or chosen associates.

In all I am a person that insists on judging a man by the content of his character alone, not by the historical setting of his birth (family, race, ethnicity, religious surroundings, etc.).

coyote_sprit
07-23-2009, 11:45 AM
I've got a lot of Native American in me but primarily white so that's what I would have went with had I voted.

tangent4ronpaul
07-23-2009, 12:45 PM
Caucasoid: Nordic, Teutonic, Gaelic, Celtic, Slavic, Semitic, Mediterranean

Mongoloid: Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Filipino, Indonesian, Malayan, Inuit

Amerind: Indians of (North America, Meso-America, South America), Aleuts

Negroid: Bantu, Nilotic, Bushmen, Hottentot

Australoid: Melanesian, Micronesian, Polynesian, Aborigine

-t

malkusm
07-23-2009, 01:56 PM
So there are no Pacific Islanders on RPF? :(

I<3Liberty
06-23-2013, 06:12 PM
Once again, I'm just bumping up the demographics threads.

I feel like we've acquired at least a little more diversity since 2009 (both the liberty movement and RPF), but we're still pretty much dominated by Whites/Caucasians.

bunklocoempire
06-23-2013, 06:43 PM
So there are no Pacific Islanders on RPF? :(

Technically no, not that I'm aware of.

However, be assured that more than several of these folks are being influenced daily by a few braying RPFers out this way. :)

EDIT: Sorry so late with the answer... :D

oyarde
06-23-2013, 09:06 PM
Human , Caucasoid, Amerind, ..... who gives a crap?

brooks009
06-23-2013, 09:28 PM
Culturally I'm Cajun with a little Texan and Venezuelan. Genetically I'm a mix of polish, welsh, Spanish, Irish and Native American. I claim my ethnicity as American.