PDA

View Full Version : Crazy idea, but maybe not?

MsDoodahs
09-25-2007, 01:04 PM
Okay, if the trend continues and Hillary is crowned before the primaries, would we be insane to go after young antiwar democrats? Pitch them with something along the lines of...

"In order to ENSURE that we get out of this war, we need to break the stranglehold of the neocons on the GOP. To do this, we MUST ensure that Ron Paul wins the GOP nomination. We need your help in the primaries to make sure RP is the GOP nom. In the general, you can vote for Hillary.

But in the primary, we ask that you help us end the war by voting in the GOP primary and voting for Ron Paul."

Is that insane?

noxagol
09-25-2007, 01:06 PM
Not crazy at all, in fact very smart. I know most people are probably going to vote democrat to end the war because if the republicans are for it, then the democrats MUST surely be against it....

erowe1
09-25-2007, 01:13 PM
Yes, that's a good idea. If the Democratic candidate has already been decided and the Republican field is competitive, then democrats will have an incentive to vote in the GOP primary where they can still make a difference. Even if they will end up voting for Hillary or a Green party candidate in the general election, they might still do what they can to get Ron Paul to win the GOP nomination in the hopes that if Republican wins, they'd rather it be he.
The only thing is, any strategy that tries to get these votes has to be very discreet, because if it were done openly, it would have the effect of turning of core Republican primary voters who might see it as an attempt to sabotage them. So this is a strategy to use when you're talking to Democrats one-on-one, but it can't be something the official campaign does visibly, IMHO.

FluffyUnbound
09-25-2007, 01:19 PM
That won't be necessary, I think. Hillary is doing our work for us.

If she keeps hedging her statements on withdrawal and keeps getting briefings from W, the "Bush in a Dress" meme will bust out all over.

Make no mistake - Paul is really the only one we can trust to end the war. I think even Kucinich, if angels descended from heaven and got him the Presidency, would get in the door and then whimper about humanitarian concerns and not withdraw. I trust Paul to end the war and no one else, and the actions of the mainstream candidates will force that perception to spread.