PDA

View Full Version : Interesting outside view on "painting the town RP"

Dave Wood
09-25-2007, 12:29 PM
http://www.jaxdaily.com/2007/09/25/the-source-of-those-ron-paul-revolution-signs/

Ridiculous
09-25-2007, 12:32 PM
I agree. Ron Paul for President is much better than Revolution for marketing purposes. Maybe it will work for college campuses, but I don't think it will get the vote of 56 year old joe american registered republican.

BLS
09-25-2007, 12:39 PM
My comment left on the site.

You're wrong to assume this will not appeal to Republican voters.
This IS, in fact, a Revolution.

Republican supporters, and conservatives in general have been hijacked by the neo cons the consituents principles have been swept to the wayside for the few elite.

Republicans, Democrats and Independants tire from the lies and disingenous information fed to us to perpetrate a no-win war.

Democrats were elected in force in 2006 because the nation's patience wears thin with these politicians and their own personal agendas. Those Democrats, who promised and were elected to end the war, have done nothing to represent the Amercian Taxpayer.

What this nation needs RIGHT NOW is an honest politician. One who CARES about our economic situation, one who understands the loss of our civil liberties, and one who will stand up to all who oppose the Citizen's of this great country.

Ron Paul is quite possibly the last chance this nation will ever have to get back to it's roots, and become an economic superpower, and a beacon for Freedom.

hopeforamerica
09-25-2007, 12:47 PM
I was just about to post this story and saw this post. I'm getting more and more questions about Ron Paul because of the Revolution signs. I have revolution and Ron Paul for pres. stickers on my car. I have a revolution button on my purse. So people do ask. Here is what just happened less than 2 minutes ago:

My postman had to deliver a package to me today.

him: "I've been seeing these Ron Paul signs, who is he, someone local?"

Me: No, he's running for President and he is amazing, do you want some literature?"

Him: "You have some? Yes. I'm never interested in voting by party, I'm trying to find someone with character."

Me: "You've found your man!" and I gave him a slim jim and a 'I told you so flyer.' Also thanked him for asking.

I didn't have time to talk more, the guy was on his route. I'm 100% positive that he'll read all his info and look into it some more.

Wheee!!! The signs work!! I have a large Ron Paul sign in my yard, and that is what prompted him to ask. But my husband has been putting the banners all over our neighborhood for the last few weeks. In that time, I've talked to and converted at least 4 people, and they all asked me about Ron Paul and stated they've seen the signs.

I think the bottom line is that we need both kinds of signs now!! Ron Paul for Pres and revolution signs. This thing is growing daily or minute by minute. Just look at the fund raising that is happening in the last few days! Keep positive my friends, and keep working hard!

Ridiculous
09-25-2007, 12:53 PM
My comment left on the site.

You're wrong to assume this will not appeal to Republican voters.
This IS, in fact, a Revolution.

Republican supporters, and conservatives in general have been hijacked by the neo cons the consituents principles have been swept to the wayside for the few elite.

Republicans, Democrats and Independants tire from the lies and disingenous information fed to us to perpetrate a no-win war.

Democrats were elected in force in 2006 because the nation's patience wears thin with these politicians and their own personal agendas. Those Democrats, who promised and were elected to end the war, have done nothing to represent the Amercian Taxpayer.

What this nation needs RIGHT NOW is an honest politician. One who CARES about our economic situation, one who understands the loss of our civil liberties, and one who will stand up to all who oppose the Citizen's of this great country.

Ron Paul is quite possibly the last chance this nation will ever have to get back to it's roots, and become an economic superpower, and a beacon for Freedom.

Most Republicans DO NOT think that their party has been hijacked. So while you may think so, trying to sell to them from that angle isn't going to work.

Hell, I have a Jefferson quote about revolution in my signature. But I just don't think it is the right way to market the campaign to middle aged registered republicans.

If someone who has never heard of Ron Paul sees a Ron Paul revolution sign up on an overpass, that doesn't say he is running for president, it is a waisted opportunity. Plus certain words have certain connotations to people, for example to the middle age and older revolution is kind of hippish. Why risk using a loaded word and just get your message accross with Ron Paul for President.

hopeforamerica
09-25-2007, 12:56 PM
Most Republicans DO NOT think that their party has been hijacked. So while you may think so, trying to sell to them from that angle isn't going to work.

Hell, I have a Jefferson quote about revolution in my signature. But I just don't think it is the right way to market the campaign to middle aged registered republicans.

If someone who has never heard of Ron Paul sees a Ron Paul revolution sign up on an overpass, that doesn't say he is running for president, it is a waisted opportunity. Plus certain words have certain connotations to people, for example to the middle age and older revolution is kind of hippish. Why risk using a loaded word and just get your message accross with Ron Paul for President.

See my story above. It's working!! I have more stories than just that one. Keep the faith. Just put up your own signs and people will ask you.

Ridiculous
09-25-2007, 12:56 PM
My postman had to deliver a package to me today.

him: "I've been seeing these Ron Paul signs, who is he, someone local?"

My point exactly.

This guy thought that he was someone local and didn't even realize that Paul was running for president.

A sign that says revolution, rather than "for president" is half as effective. How may other people saw the Ron Paul Revolution signs and don't realize that he is running for president.

hopeforamerica
09-25-2007, 12:59 PM
My point exactly.

A sign that says revolution, rather than "for president" is half as effective. How may other people saw the Ron Paul Revolution signs and don't realize that he is running for president.

Duh, the guy took the time to ask and he got way more information than he would have with just a Ron Paul for Pres sign. My point is that both signs would be great at this time.

BLS
09-25-2007, 01:04 PM

Hence the reason it's a revolution my man.
If everybody were on board with it, you wouldn't NEED a revolution.

Oh...and it's 'wasted'.

I don't get your type. Instead of spending the effort to negate other's hard work, why don't you just do what you think it right yourself and make some President signs?

Ridiculous
09-25-2007, 01:05 PM
Duh, the guy took the time to ask and he got way more information than he would have with just a Ron Paul for Pres sign. My point is that both signs would be great at this time.

How many people aren't asking someone? This guy had an opportunity to have a conversation. How many people don't get that opportunity.

Why not, from the initial contact (when someone who hasn't really heard about Paul sees a sign for the first time), let them know that he is running for president. If you have the opportunity to let someone know that Paul is running for president, and the person walks (or drives) away from that contact not knowing Paul is a presidential candidate. You have waisted that contact.

hopeforamerica
09-25-2007, 01:17 PM
How many people aren't asking someone? This guy had an opportunity to have a conversation. How many people don't get that opportunity.

Why not, from the initial contact (when someone who hasn't really heard about Paul sees a sign for the first time), let them know that he is running for president. If you have the opportunity to let someone know that Paul is running for president, and the person walks (or drives) away from that contact not knowing Paul is a presidential candidate. You have waisted that contact.

Can you not read? I've stated on both of my posts, that I think both signs would be beneficial! I just purchased some really neat pole signs that say Ron Paul for Pres (400 of them!), but they don't get into the issues. The revolutionary signs peak interest and cause people to ask. Now they get a handful of stuff to read when they ask. I wouldn't look up an (unknown to me) pres. candidate just because I saw a sign. But my interest would be peaked with the other signs. Relax, we're all on the same side (I think).

Ridiculous
09-25-2007, 01:27 PM
Can you not read? I've stated on both of my posts, that I think both signs would be beneficial! I just purchased some really neat pole signs that say Ron Paul for Pres (400 of them!), but they don't get into the issues. The revolutionary signs peak interest and cause people to ask. Now they get a handful of stuff to read when they ask. I wouldn't look up an (unknown to me) pres. candidate just because I saw a sign. But my interest would be peaked with the other signs. Relax, we're all on the same side (I think).

There is nothing wrong with us debating the best methods for the grass roots campaign. In fact, I think it is healthy for the campaign.

I personally believe revolution is a loaded word. I like it. But it also has a certain F the system connotation to it. Now, while we might want to F the system. Most registered republicans are not F the system types of people, nor do they think that their party has been hijacked. Selling to them from that angle won't work.

And the love backwards thing is kind of hippish. I'm not the only one that thinks so.

hopeforamerica
09-25-2007, 01:42 PM
Those signs will never go away. They are way too entrenched into this movement already. So, we'll just need to supplement with the "mainstream" type of signs you think other will like. Did you notice that on the official website that the new slimjims have a picture showing a revolution sign?

Blowback
09-25-2007, 01:44 PM
One good thing about the RP Revolution signs is exactly the fact that not everyone know what they mean. My RP 4 Prez banners generally get taken down way faster than my RP Revolution banners.

It's a sneaky marketting trick to get into people's heads without the immediate assualt of a presidential add in your face.

Ridiculous
09-25-2007, 01:50 PM
Did you notice that on the official website that the new slimjims have a picture showing a revolution sign?

I really don't think that will have much of an effect on anything. I am just talking about the first time that someone sees a Ron Paul sign and it doesn't explicitly state that he is running for president, well, you waisted an opportunity to let them know that he is running for president.

Plus, I aggree with the person who wrote the article in the OP that said "Revolution" isn't going to win over any average republicans.

ronpaulitician
09-25-2007, 02:01 PM
Ron Paul himself has included the word "Revolution" (capitalized) in recent correspondence.

Ridiculous
09-25-2007, 02:14 PM
Ron Paul himself has included the word "Revolution" (capitalized) in recent correspondence.

I've seen that and I don't think that there is anything wrong with calling it a revolution. But if you are going to take the time to put up a Ron Paul sign at least get the message across that he is running for president. I just think Hope for America is a much better mass-appeal marketing sign slogan than Revolution, if you aren't just going to put "for President" under his name.

The whole time I have been talking about the revolution signs, not calling it a revolution unofficially. While he might have said Revolution in an email. There is no mention of revolution on the website.

DrNoZone
09-25-2007, 03:17 PM
Just posted this to the Dr. No! Zone blog...pass it on:

Paint the town Ron: event suggestion (http://drnozone.wordpress.com/2007/09/25/paint-the-town-ron-event-suggestion/)
Like the rest of you Ron Paul supporters, I'm excited for this event! I think it could make a huge impact on the voters as well as on mainstream media coverage of Ron Paul. I got excited after seeing a video on YouTube of the Jacksonville Meetup group painting the town Ron and getting some great media coverage because of it (see below).

That said, I think we need to focus on something new. As much as I love the Ron Paul Revolution logo design, I think we need to begin focusing more on designs that state WHO Ron Paul is. Here's a conversation that just might run through someone's head after having seen an RP Revolution sign:

"Ron Paul Revolution? Coooool....who the hell is Ron Paul?" and then comes "who cares?" and they go about their day never giving the matter another thought.

So my suggestion is this: focus on signage that includes "for President" and the official campaign website address. Not in small letters at the bottom, but equally as prominent as anything else on the sign.

At this stage in the game, we can't afford for people to not have a clue what the sign means and who Ron Paul is when they see it. As the lady at the end of the video clip below says "I thought it was some kind of cult". Needless to say, that is NOT the kind of thoughts we want to implant in potential supporters' heads!

One more thing: please be conscientious of where you hang these signs. Don't violate local laws or good sense!

Please, spread this post far and wide. Get your Meetup groups talking about it before sign painting starts in a few days!

wgadget
09-25-2007, 03:44 PM
Ron Paul himself says all the time, "Thank you for inviting me to the Revolution." His ideas ARE revolutionary, and the idea of revolution is exciting and likely to get people to look it up on Google. But I see your point...In fact, when I'm passing out flyers in the intersections, the most asked question is "Who is Ron Paul?" I always tell them that he's an HONEST POLITICIAN RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT.

Jordan
09-25-2007, 04:54 PM
I'm planning on doing some signs soon and putting:

Ron Paul
Hope For America

I think this certainly gets people thinking and gets them to look into Ron Paul. Ron Paul for prez will be ignored but Hope for America makes people seek information on him.

aksmith
09-25-2007, 07:27 PM
I can tell that not many people around here have done much marketing.

Have you ever watched a commercial that doesn't tell you anything about the product it's selling? I p!sses people off. It frustrates them. Commercials can be clever, but the main thing they need to do is describe and make you want what they're selling. Always.

The Revolution signs are poor marketing because anyone who doesn't know Ron Paul before he sees one still won't know Ron Paul after he does see one. This is a campaign with limited cash and limited exposure. To waste the effort by putting up signs that confuse people, or at least don't inform them, is just that, a waste.

Of course, a lot of people have put a lot of effort into these signs and gotten used to making them and seeing them. Their first reaction is a defensive one. But if they think about this, hopefully they'll figure out that their audience needs to know who the guy is and why they should care.

American
09-25-2007, 07:31 PM
I know the campaign wasnt real happy with the revolution but adopted it because its so popular. Either one would work but if you want EVERYONE to know what your talking about, then Ron Paul for President.

IMHO

WASH DC
09-25-2007, 07:51 PM
This is one middle-aged Republican who likes the Revolution signs. Don't forget we were the anti-Vietnam war generation. A lot of us became conservatives, but have been hopelessly depressed by recent Republican presidents and Congresses. A revolution is in order!

ksuguy
09-25-2007, 08:12 PM
No reason why there can't be a combination of sign types.

LibertyEagle
09-25-2007, 08:18 PM
No reason why there can't be a combination of sign types.

Exactly. :) But, I agree that we absolutely must have plenty of signs that say he's running for President. Nearly 100 percent Revolution signs had their time, but now it seems like we need to start including the others too.

Corydoras
09-25-2007, 08:25 PM
We have a lot of work to do no matter what.
Recently, when I said to someone I thought was well-informed, "He's running for President!" the response was "President of what?"

fedup100
09-25-2007, 08:25 PM
I am 60 I was attracted to the revolution signs right away. Just because we are over 50, don't think for a minute we don't know what revolution means. We are the Pink Floyd and ZZ Top generation. I vote for both, revolution and President on the signs.

60 is the new 50, get with it.

This is a Revolution, stop apologizing!

Hook
09-25-2007, 08:31 PM
Just do both, and let people make whatever signs they feel are best.
That is how the market works. :D