PDA

View Full Version : Orwellian DARE Program Connected to Increases in Drug Use

dannno
07-20-2009, 11:11 AM
The high-school class of 1996 was the first one to increase its use of drugs since the across-the-boards decline of the eighties. That group of students had entered kindergarten around 1983, the same year that the Drug Abuse Resistance Education program, now D.A.R.E. America, was founded by Los Angeles Police Department chief Daryl Gates.

The Orwellian Part:

The campaign has succeeded on many fronts, as any parent who’s been scolded for drinking by a young child knows all too well. And it has inspired more than mere scolding. In 1992, a Maryland girl told her D.A.R.E. officer that her parents were growing pot, and they each spent thirty days in jail, according to the Washington Post. Two kids in Boston reported their parents the same year; the year before, a Colorado child called 911 and said, "I’m a D.A.R.E. kid," then told the operator about a baggie of pot that he’d found. A nine-year-old Georgian called the cops after stumbling on some speed in his parents’ bedroom. "At school, they told us that if we ever see drugs, call 911 because people who use drugs need help," said Darrin Davis to a reporter for the Dallas Morning News. "I thought the police would come get the drugs and tell them that drugs are wrong. They never said they would arrest them."

Entire Article:

http://www.alternet.org/drugreporter/141104/this_is_your_country_on_drugs:_how_the_dare_genera tion_got_high/?page=1

acptulsa
07-20-2009, 11:16 AM
Well, you know, when you start advertising the stuff to kindergarteners, sooner or later all that advertising will pay off.

angelatc
07-20-2009, 12:36 PM
15 years ago they announced that the program was not effective in reducing teen drug use. Of course they continue to fund it, though.

LittleLightShining
07-20-2009, 12:39 PM
When my son was in third grade he came home with a booklet from his DARE class that listed a whole bunch of inhalants that could be found around the house. I flipped out and went to see the principle. She was offended but eventually she saw my point that you don't give 8 yo's a list of ways to kill themselves.

When I found out my son was going to have another DARE class I called the officer who taught the class and explained what had happened in 3rd grade. I told him I wanted to see all of the material he's be using for the 5th grade class. He let me look at it and ended up scrapping the whole inhalant unit. If parents are concerned they should open communication with the officer who will be teaching the kids.

brandon
07-20-2009, 01:09 PM
I will never forget this one experience I had with the drug police when I was just a young boy.

I was about 14 years old at the time. I had never tried any drugs but I had a couple older friends that smoked pot sometimes and I was pretty interested in it. Anyway, me and a buddy went to the local mall one friday night, as we often did at that age. Apparently it was "cop week" or something and the cops had tables and displays set up all over the place.

Of course there was the drug table. The table had every freaking drug on earth displayed in a case like it was a freaking museum or something. Me and my friend were admiring the drug collection, when the cop behind the table said..."want to see something really cool?"

Of course we said yes. The cop then picked up a duffle bag from the floor, unzipped it and quickly pulled out about 5 - 10 lbs of marijuana. He showed it off to us quickly, let us smell it, and then put it away.

About two years later I was a pot head.

lol, gotta love DARE

dannno
07-20-2009, 01:32 PM
About two years later I was a pot head.

lol, gotta love DARE

The first NORML (National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws) Meeting I went to there were about 25 people. We talked about ways to spread the word and about future events they were planning, etc.. and towards the end the lead organizer told the story of how when she was in sixth grade she won the DARE award at her school. They had a huge ceremony for her and the school made a really big deal out of it.

Now not only is she a stoner but she runs NORML chapters, lol :D

akihabro
07-20-2009, 04:01 PM
Why am I not surprised to find this is reverse psychology indoctrination? I went to those classes when I was in elementary school. If memory serves me correctly most of us had no idea what these drugs were. We all probably have heard of alcohol and maybe some of our parent's drank. I've heard this program is actually to increase drug use among students where there isn't any.

heavenlyboy34
07-20-2009, 04:03 PM
lolz @ more Statist foolishness. Thanx, danno.

RideTheDirt
07-20-2009, 05:46 PM
My friends won the Dare essay contest at my school. He say's that is what got him into drugs because they sounded interesting...They DARED him to:p

heavenlyboy34
07-20-2009, 05:50 PM
My friends won the Dare essay contest at my school. He say's that is what got him into drugs because they sounded interesting...They DARED him to:p

I lol'ed! :D;)

dannno
07-20-2009, 05:56 PM
Drugs
Are
Really
Expensive

jkr
07-20-2009, 06:32 PM
1st time i saw "drugs" was a middle school dare (to be stupid) program in home ec...did'nt have 1st beer or herb till 19