PDA

View Full Version : ATF to TN: Firearms Freedom Act Is Invalid

Matt Collins
07-19-2009, 04:00 PM
Apparently the ATF sent out a letter to Tennesseans stating that their recent law passed telling the federal government to take a hike is invalid.

See more here:
http://www.campaignforliberty.com/blog.php?view=22067

Dr.3D
07-19-2009, 04:08 PM
Seems like an argument must ensue here. The federally funded and mandated ATF versus the states. If according to the United States Constitution, the ATF is illegal, then the states must win. One thing is for sure, the states must not let the SCOTUS decide the case. We all know the SCOTUS is bought and paid for by the federal government.

Stary Hickory
07-19-2009, 04:17 PM
Um no ATF the states have the right to decide these things, YOU DONT.

I stand by Tennessee.

literatim
07-19-2009, 04:19 PM
The State can just kick them out.

Matt Collins
07-19-2009, 05:59 PM
Constitutional scholar Kevin Gutzman and I are having a discussion about this on my FacebookPage: http://www.facebook.com/LibertyMatt

Standing Like A Rock
07-19-2009, 06:01 PM
I would like to see Tennessee issue an open letter to all of its gun owners telling them to IGNORE the ATF's letter and that the Federal Government cannot regulate intrastate commerce.

Matt Collins
07-19-2009, 06:02 PM
This is gaining steam:
http://www.tenthamendmentcenter.com/2009/07/18/the-battle-begins-atf-vs-the-constitution/
http://www.dixienet.org/rebellion/rebellion.html

pcosmar
07-19-2009, 06:05 PM
I would like to see Tennessee issue an open letter to all of its gun owners telling them to IGNORE the ATF's letter and that the Federal Government cannot regulate intrastate commerce.

I would like to see the State of Tennessee call up the Militia (every gun owner in the state) and physically remove the ATF presence to the State line.

Standing Like A Rock
07-19-2009, 06:08 PM
I would like to see the State of Tennessee call up the Militia (every gun owner in the state) and physically remove the ATF presence to the State line.

Well technically, ATF can regulate interstate commerce dealing with firearms, so that might be taking it a little too far, since it is reasonable to allow them to remain in the state ONLY to regulate the interstate trade.

tangent4ronpaul
07-19-2009, 06:11 PM
Well technically, ATF can regulate interstate commerce dealing with firearms, so that might be taking it a little too far, since it is reasonable to allow them to remain in the state ONLY to regulate the interstate trade.

No - let them stay on the OTHER SIDE of the state line and let them regulate it from there.

-t

Standing Like A Rock
07-19-2009, 06:16 PM
No - let them stay on the OTHER SIDE of the state line and let them regulate it from there.

-t

That is very unreasonable. What if all states, or even just bordering states adopted that policy? Then interstate regulation could not take place. Now I am not saying that interstate regulation is good or that I think it should happen, but it is legal at the moment.

jkr
07-19-2009, 06:39 PM
posse comma-whut-us?

LibertyEagle
07-19-2009, 06:52 PM
That is very unreasonable. What if all states, or even just bordering states adopted that policy? Then interstate regulation could not take place. Now I am not saying that interstate regulation is good or that I think it should happen, but it is legal at the moment.

No, he's saying they have no business in INTRAstate commerce.

I think that's what Tennessee's resolution is all about. Trade WITHIN the state.

Dr.3D
07-19-2009, 06:53 PM

-t

Actually, the ATF is just another federal organization that is taking money from the people of every state of the Union. It is another hidden tax on the people. None of the states should allow them to do anything within them. If enough of the states stood up and told them to go to hell, perhaps they would get the message.

Dr.3D
07-19-2009, 06:55 PM

I don't believe they have any business doing anything with any kind of commerce. They are just out to get more money for the federal government.

There is no reason to regulate alcohol, tobacco or firearms.

LibertyEagle
07-19-2009, 06:56 PM
I don't believe they have any business doing anything with any kind of commerce. They are just out to get more money for the federal government.

There is no reason to regulate alcohol, tobacco or firearms.

Well, I agree with you, of course. But, it is my understanding that the resolutions being passed around the country are dealing with intrastate commerce.

Dr.3D
07-19-2009, 06:59 PM
Well, I agree with you, of course. But, it is my understanding that the resolutions being passed around the country are dealing with intrastate commerce.

And it is good they are being passed. The excuse the federal government has been using to interfere with the commerce of the states is unlawful when the U.S. Constitution is properly understood. The big problem is, the states are allowing a federally owned and operated court decide how to read the constitution.

tangent4ronpaul
07-19-2009, 07:06 PM

I think that's what Tennessee's resolution is all about. Trade WITHIN the state.

Yes - and they are totally mis-reading "regulation"....

ATF is an illegal organization.

This part of the Constitution eithor needs to be clarified or go.

-t

james1906
07-19-2009, 07:26 PM

I'm for giving the ATF agents an option, push them to Canada, or push them to Mexico.

Pericles
07-19-2009, 07:30 PM

Correct answer: We have a winner!

Matt Collins
07-19-2009, 07:31 PM
This is starting to go mainstream:
http://politics.nashvillepost.com/2009/07/19/atf-declares-tennessee-firearms-freedom-act-null-and-void/

Keith and stuff
07-20-2009, 06:28 AM
This seems very interesting. I don't know if any company in TN will ever even try to do this. However, maybe in a few years a company will come about in TN and try to do this. Let's see what happens then and how the government reacts. However, for the next for years, it will all be word games.

roho76
07-20-2009, 07:50 AM
What States have gun/ammo manufacturers in them? How would other States fare?

malkusm
07-20-2009, 08:10 AM
This is what I'm talking about. More states need to pass legislation like this, telling the goons in DC that they won't comply with their unconstitutional regulations, and stand up for them when it comes time to.

Side note - didn't Montana pass a similar measure last year? Did people get similar letters from the ATF in that state?

Michael Landon
07-20-2009, 08:38 AM
What States have gun/ammo manufacturers in them? How would other States fare?

Minnesota has a DPMS manufacturer in St. Cloud.

- ML