PDA

View Full Version : Ohio GOP Straw poll - Manipulated? Ron Paul lowest?

FrankRep
09-25-2007, 08:26 AM
http://www.ohiogop.org/News/Read.aspx?ID=1594

This can't be right.

The official results of the Ohio Republican Party Presidential Straw Poll are as follows:

Fred Thompson 33%
Rudy Giuliani 24%
Mitt Romney 17%
John McCain 11%
Mike Huckabee 7%
Sam Brownback 4%
Duncan Hunter 2%
Ron Paul 1%
Tom Tancredo 1%

Ridiculous
09-25-2007, 08:29 AM
It does seem a little fishy.

Has anyone contacted any Ohio meetups and asked for an on the scene report?

Green Mountain Boy
09-25-2007, 08:30 AM
I hadn't heard about this straw poll. How was it done?? Who could vote?

I find it hard to believe that Duncan Hunter got twice as many votes as Paul.

FrankRep
09-25-2007, 08:32 AM
I'm determined and serious now. Ohio will Hear Ron Paul's word at full Power.

Help Ohio hear about Ron Paul!
http://joebozzi.chipin.com/columbus-ron-paul-tv-commercial

LibertyEagle
09-25-2007, 08:33 AM
Well, it looks like you could have voted on-line, after you made a little contribution.
http://www.ohiogop.org/index.aspx
Lower right hand side of the screen.

Note: Since they've already announced the straw poll winner, putting your money into this does not seem to be a wise thing to do.

LibertyEagle
09-25-2007, 08:35 AM
Ohio GOP Hosts Successful Leadership Summit

Monday, September 17, 2007

More than 200 Republican Party leaders and activists attended a two-day training and strategy program in Columbus this weekend, learning everything from how to use the party's voter database to how to prepare locally for the 2007 & 2008 elections.

Participants also heard from former Ohio Congressman and White House Budget Director Rob Portman, Fox News host John Kasich, RNC Co-Chair Jo Ann Davidson, Ohio House Speaker Jon Husted, Ohio Senate President Bill Harris, U.S. Sen. George Voinovich, Ohio Republican Party Deputy Chairman Kevin DeWine and Ohio Republican Party Chairman Bob Bennett.

Click here to watch the Ohio GOP Video Blog featuring highlights from the conference

"This is the kind of event that sets us apart from the opposition," Bennett told the audience on Saturday. "We spend significant resources every year planning and training for the next election. The Democrats like to talk a big game, and they get lucky about once every decade. What makes us successful is we do the hard work off the playing field that not only gets us ready for the next game but also makes us a competitive team every season."

http://www.ohiogop.org/News/Read.aspx?ID=1587

paulitics
09-25-2007, 08:36 AM
I haven't heard about this straw poll.

10thAmendmentMan
09-25-2007, 08:36 AM
Well, it looks like you could vote on-line, after you made a little contribution.
http://www.ohiogop.org/index.aspx
Lower right hand side of the screen.

Therein lies the bias. I doubt many of us feel any particular need to donate to the GOP as it is right now. This just shows that people who love the party as it is don't like Ron Paul. This should not be a huge surprise.

LibertyEagle
09-25-2007, 08:38 AM
Therein lies the bias. I doubt many of us feel any particular need to donate to the GOP as it is right now. This just shows that people who love the party as it is don't like Ron Paul. This should not be a huge surprise.

It's over now anyway. But, isn't that how all the straw polls operate? They are essentially all fundraisers? This is the first one I've seen on-line is all.

FrankRep
09-25-2007, 08:39 AM

I guess it's hard to donate money to a party that wants to ignore and marginalize you.

LibertyEagle
09-25-2007, 08:40 AM
Maybe the point is that many of us need to start getting a lot more involved in our state GOP's. It's that Party that we're trying to take back, right? Before Ron can run in the general election, we've got to win the Republican nomination.

FrankRep
09-25-2007, 08:44 AM
Ohio 4 Ron Paul - Making ourselves known!

Maverick prez candidate garners student support

Sept. 24, 2007
Athens News

http://athensnews.com/index.php?action=viewarticle&section=news&story_id=29350

Ridiculous
09-25-2007, 08:59 AM
Maybe the point is that many of us need to start getting a lot more involved in our state GOP's. It's that Party that we're trying to take back, right? Before Ron can run in the general election, we've got to win the Republican nomination.

People just don't get it.

erowe1
09-25-2007, 09:07 AM
It wasn't a real straw poll. It was an online donation scheme where after you donate to the Ohio GOP you vote online. I was on a conference call with the official Michigan campaign headquarters where a guy mentioned this poll and everyone was pretty cold to the idea of giving donations just to vote in an online poll.

jb4ronpaul
09-25-2007, 09:23 AM
It wasn't a real straw poll. It was an online donation scheme where after you donate to the Ohio GOP you vote online. I was on a conference call with the official Michigan campaign headquarters where a guy mentioned this poll and everyone was pretty cold to the idea of giving donations just to vote in an online poll.

Yes, most of us chose not to participate for this reason and the fact the online poll was open to easy manipulation from people outside ohio.

squirrelbrewer
09-25-2007, 09:30 AM
I haven't been on the OH GOP site for a few weeks and don't remember seeing this from previous visits. Had this been prominent on their website, I'm sure they would have made more money. But then again, the Republicans do have their honor to think of. And that is much more important than letting Ron Paul win a straw poll!!

kmj.ronpaul
09-25-2007, 09:51 AM
Speaking for myself, I'm an Ohioan who had the opportunity to vote in this poll. When I saw that it was $25 to vote, and knowing that the GOP could "count" the votes any way they want (this is the same Ohio GOP that needed to be beseiged with emails before they deigned to add a Ron Paul link to their website, though they voluntarily displayed links for every single other candidate), I decided that my money could definitely be better-spent than donating it to that organization.