PDA

View Full Version : Medical Marijuana: US House Overturns Barr Amendment, Removes Obstacle for DC

disorderlyvision
07-17-2009, 10:29 AM
http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/594/house_overturns_barr_amendment_medical_marijuana_D C

The US House of Representatives Thursday passed the District of Columbia appropriations bill and in so doing removed an 11-year-old amendment barring the District from implementing the medical marijuana law approved by voters in 1998. Known as the Barr amendment after then Rep. Bob Barr (R-GA), the amendment has been attacked by both medical marijuana and DC home rule advocates for years as an unconscionable intrusion into District affairs.

Ironically, Barr, who was defeated in a Republican primary in 2004 in part because of his opposition to medical marijuana, has become an advocate of drug law reform -- including for repeal of his amendment. He has done stints with both the ACLU and the Marijuana Policy Project.

"Today represents a victory not just for medical marijuana patients, but for all city residents who have the right to determine their own policies in their own District without federal meddling," said Aaron Houston, MPP director of government relations. "DC residents overwhelmingly made the sensible, compassionate decision to pass a medical marijuana law, and now, 10 years later, suffering Washingtonians may finally be allowed to focus on treating their pain without fearing arrest."

With Republicans in control of the House until 2006, Congress had reapproved the Barr amendment in every DC appropriations bill until this year. But even under Republican control, pressure had begun to mount after the 2004 death of DC resident Jonathan Magbie, a quadriplegic medical marijuana user who was arrested and died in a DC jail for lack of adequate medical care.

"Had the District been able to implement its medical marijuana law when it passed in 1998, Mr. Magbie may well be alive today -- and free to treat his pain as he and his doctor saw fit," Houston said. "Perhaps now nobody in the District will ever have to suffer as he and his family did simply for using the medicine that works best for them."

UnReconstructed
07-17-2009, 10:37 AM
awesome

good find

speciallyblend
07-17-2009, 12:47 PM
LP went down the drain last election, the way it is going i will not have a party to vote for in 2012?

nice to see this story! add that one to another reason why i wouldn't vote barr last election or ever!

disorderlyvision
07-17-2009, 12:59 PM
LP went down the drain last election, the way it is going i will not have a party to vote for in 2012?

nice to see this story! add that one to another reason why i wouldn't vote barr last election or ever!

I didn't vote for him either. There was some solid LP candidates, and they chose Barr, who is anti- drug legalization, and voted for the patriot act among other things, and I don't care if he has "had a change of heart" The past is a good indicator of the future.