PDA

View Full Version : Backup This Server!!!!

rdenner
09-25-2007, 06:59 AM
I just came to realize how big this website is. On the sirius web poll conducted(see other thread) Ron Paul was languishing behind most everyone.

BUT as soon as the thread appeared here he was catapulted too number one in less than 20 minutes.

THAT IS POWER. And if this server is not being backed up and hosted on another independent server, than we have a really big problem.

IF THIS SERVER GOES DOWN, then a huge amount of communication is cut off. I think it's beyond vital that this server gets hosted in multiple locations.

THIS TAKES MONEY!! So after the 3rd quarter is over, WE MUST get money to whoever is hosting this site, so they can duplicate this forum elsewhere.

I can guarantee that there will be zombie attacks on this server sooner or later. When that happens all the good work that gets done here will be hampered.

This has become an intricate tool in the Ron Paul toolbox.

Whoever runs this server needs to place a Donate button somewhere on the front page and actively start taking donation to make sure this vital tool is not lost to us.

Just an opinion.

ROBERT

jonahtrainer
09-25-2007, 07:01 AM
You haven't been around here very long have you?

I agree with all you say though.

Man from La Mancha
09-25-2007, 07:10 AM
I just came to realize how big this website is. On the sirius web poll conducted(see other thread) Ron Paul was languishing behind most everyone.

BUT as soon as the thread appeared here he was catapulted too number one in less than 20 minutes.

THAT IS POWER. And if this server is not being backed up and hosted on another independent server, than we have a really big problem.

IF THIS SERVER GOES DOWN, then a huge amount of communication is cut off. I think it's beyond vital that this server gets hosted in multiple locations.

THIS TAKES MONEY!! So after the 3rd quarter is over, WE MUST get money to whoever is hosting this site, so they can duplicate this forum elsewhere.

I can guarantee that there will be zombie attacks on this server sooner or later. When that happens all the good work that gets done here will be hampered.

This has become an intricate tool in the Ron Paul toolbox.

Whoever runs this server needs to place a Donate button somewhere on the front page and actively start taking donation to make sure this vital tool is not lost to us.

Just an opinion.

ROBERT

good opinion but this site shuts down every time there is an increase of traffic yet the forum moderators refuse financil support to improve. If i'm wrong I apologize but we have to make this bullet proof.

Bryan
09-25-2007, 07:20 AM
Thanks everyone, I agree we should make it as bullet proof as possible. I'm talking with Josh about some options and some great volunteer offers we have had. We need to get an integrated chat function too for the debates, etc. We need to have some done by Thursday, just in case...

If there are any experts in tuning and dealing with vBulletin that could help some please speak up.

The site actually did fine after the Bill O'reilly and we hit 470+ users, the problem seems to be when everyone is posting in the same thread at the same time. This is why we need chat.

Green Mountain Boy
09-25-2007, 07:24 AM
Last debate there were about 50 people in the chat over at ronpaulradio. For now, you could direct people over there until you get a chat up and running here.

jonahtrainer
09-25-2007, 07:37 AM
good opinion but this site shuts down every time there is an increase of traffic yet the forum moderators refuse financil support to improve. If i'm wrong I apologize but we have to make this bullet proof.

What we need is more prominent and relevant Adwords placement. Terms such as Hillary, McCain, Ghoulani or Barack ads are just what this forum is after.

mdh
09-25-2007, 07:41 AM
Thanks everyone, I agree we should make it as bullet proof as possible. I'm talking with Josh about some options and some great volunteer offers we have had. We need to get an integrated chat function too for the debates, etc. We need to have some done by Thursday, just in case...

If there are any experts in tuning and dealing with vBulletin that could help some please speak up.

The site actually did fine after the Bill O'reilly and we hit 470+ users, the problem seems to be when everyone is posting in the same thread at the same time. This is why we need chat.

Hey Bryan, you can link into our IRC chat room using the javascript + popup window as seen on www.ronpaulradio.com and www.ronpaul.name - I can send the one-line of PHP code needed to do it as well that sets the nickname from the form input. I'm going to be in Baltimore on Thursday with you-know-who, so let me know if you want to get it setup ASAP and I'll give you the php line to plug in.

ross11988
09-25-2007, 07:47 AM
yea we def need to update the servers to handle the load and also get a offical link from the website to the forums.,

ronpaulyourmom
09-25-2007, 09:06 AM

http://cgiirc.org/

constituent
09-25-2007, 09:11 AM
you're in houston right?

i'll donate my labor anytime you need it for logistics,
or if you're gonna be hard pressed for the time you need.

mdh
09-25-2007, 09:19 AM
http://cgiirc.org/

http://www.ronpaul.name/chat/ has a CGI:IRC interface as well as the java applet; we just went with the java applet for http://www.ronpaulradio.com/

billm317
09-25-2007, 09:52 AM
We need to get an integrated chat function too for the debates, etc.

Chat functionality should be on the back burner until this server no longer goes down. Plain and simple.

billm317
09-25-2007, 10:00 AM

I know of a vBulletin forum that has 5000 users logged in right now. It can handle much more.

You can implement chat all day long, but people are still going to post and the server will still crash until the problem is solved.

You say the problem occurs when everyone is posting in the same thread at the same time. Have you isolated the problem to either apache or mysql? If so, which is it? Maybe someone can give you some good ideas.

mkrfctr
09-25-2007, 10:36 AM
Good ideas ... hmm ... I'm thinking IIS v3, and recode the forums in .ASP using an Access database as the backend. Who's with me?!

constituent
09-25-2007, 10:37 AM
Good ideas ... hmm ... I'm thinking IIS v3, and recode the forums in .ASP using an Access database as the backend. Who's with me?!

pm bryan or joshlowry

Elwar
09-25-2007, 10:44 AM
when this site goes down we usually jump over to http://www.ronpaulforum.com

or fredthompsonforum.com ;)

ghemminger
09-25-2007, 10:45 AM
RonPaulRadio also has cool (empty) forums set up

constituent
09-25-2007, 10:45 AM
i head over to mdh's place or ronpaulradio

orenbus
09-25-2007, 10:47 AM
message board over at RonPaulNation.com is cool too

mkrfctr
09-25-2007, 10:47 AM

pm bryan or joshlowry
Okay, that got a hearty LOL from me, thanks. :-)

JoshLowry
09-25-2007, 10:52 AM
We're working on a few new options this week.

Thanks for the input. We most likely will get an additional hard drive put in for a RAID option and look at anything that needs to be updated.

richard1984
09-25-2007, 11:36 AM
I think a chat room type thing would be great for debates and such. Posting is so fast paced anyway....
(Question: Is there a way to still have to the "reply with quote" function in a chat room?--I've never been in a chat room before, but I imagine it could get really confusing if you can't readily quote the post you are responding to.)

Unfortunately, I don't know jack about how this stuff works....:o I wish I could help!

john_anderson_ii
09-25-2007, 12:14 PM

<puke>blargghhhhh</puke>

billm317
09-25-2007, 01:39 PM
We're working on a few new options this week.

Thanks for the input. We most likely will get an additional hard drive put in for a RAID option and look at anything that needs to be updated.

Is this thing being hosted on like a spare machine someone dug up or are you actually using a hosting company? I can't imagine a hosting company not already having RAID in place.

Bryan
09-25-2007, 02:28 PM
Is this thing being hosted on like a spare machine someone dug up or are you actually using a hosting company? I can't imagine a hosting company not already having RAID in place.
It's a hosting company on a dedicated server costing $160 a month. It should be able to handle the loads but something is amiss.