PDA

View Full Version : Health Care - Bye bye private insurance

angelatc
07-16-2009, 08:53 PM
From Investor's Business Daily: (http://www.ibdeditorials.com/IBDArticles.aspx?id=332548165656854)

: The provision would indeed outlaw individual private coverage. Under the Orwellian header of "Protecting The Choice To Keep Current Coverage," the "Limitation On New Enrollment" section of the bill clearly states:

"Except as provided in this paragraph, the individual health insurance issuer offering such coverage does not enroll any individual in such coverage if the first effective date of coverage is on or after the first day" of the year the legislation becomes law.

So we can all keep our coverage, just as promised — with, of course, exceptions: Those who currently have private individual coverage won't be able to change it. Nor will those who leave a company to work for themselves be free to buy individual plans from private carriers.

So, insurers can't write any new policies, and you can't change your existing policy.

sevin
07-16-2009, 09:08 PM
What. The. Fuck? :mad:

klamath
07-16-2009, 09:16 PM
It is getting bad. They are trying to ram this thing through fast and trying to say it is to save the ecconomy. Bush had 911 the democrats have the ecconomy to push an agenda.

CoreyBowen999
07-16-2009, 09:19 PM
By whatever was left of private insurance :(

sevin
07-16-2009, 09:22 PM
I expect to see the life expectancy in this country drop dramatically over the next couple decades.

mediahasyou
07-16-2009, 09:36 PM
http://laughingsquid.com/wp-content/uploads/communist_party_poster1.jpg

Mini-Me
07-16-2009, 10:12 PM
I expect to see the life expectancy in this country drop dramatically over the next couple decades.

I don't think this can continue forever though without massive civil unrest. Honestly, I'm expecting to see a revolution in some form or another, and I would be shocked if we were still living under federal supremacy thirty years from now like we are today. One way or another, something is going to give...either we will come out on top and decentralize power, or the globalists will manage to centralize it further.

Unfortunately, even if "we win" for a time, I think the human race will eventually be unified under a one world government for some amount of time...whether in our lifetime or afterwards. We pretty much have no choice but to suffer through that eventually, because until it's "tried" and leads to the worst tyranny the world has ever known, too many naive people will continue to push for it. I don't think we could possibly score a lasting victory for liberty until after a one world government is established and later collapses or is destroyed by force. In light of that (as I edit my post an hour later), I guess you're right: Life expectancies are not looking good.

So, uh...yeah, there's a cheerful thought.

Original_Intent
07-17-2009, 06:54 AM
Investor's Business Daily reviewed H.R. 3200, a 1,018-page bill, and sought help from the House Ways and Means Committee when it stumbled upon the following segment listed under "Protecting the Choice to Keep Current Coverage," in the "Limitation on Enrollment" section on Page 16:

"Except as provided in this paragraph, the individual health insurance issuer offering such coverage does not enroll any individual in such coverage if the first effective date of coverage is on or after the first day" of the year the legislation becomes law.

"So we can all keep our coverage, just as promised – with, of course, exceptions: Those who currently have private individual coverage won't be able to change it. Nor will those who leave a company to work for themselves be free to buy individual plans from private carriers," Investor's Business Daily reported.

The entire article: http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=104161

Original_Intent
07-17-2009, 07:20 AM
Sorry I did not give this a clever title like "Having sex upside down, does size matter?"

Come on people this is kind of a big deal. At least comment to keep it bumped.

MsDoodahs
07-17-2009, 07:23 AM
It makes me sick...

Original_Intent
07-17-2009, 07:54 AM
In other words you can keep your CURRENT insurance BUT:

1. If you change jobs you will be forced into government healthcare, because no new policy can be issued.

2. If you lose your job you will be forced into government healthcare.

3. If the company you work for changes insurance companies, you will be forced into government healthcare.

4. Bottom line, within a few years, 90%-100% of the populace will be forced into government healthcare if this is made law.

MsDoodahs
07-17-2009, 08:08 AM
That is the goal.

mediahasyou
07-17-2009, 08:47 AM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?p=2214476

Original_Intent
07-17-2009, 09:05 AM
Thanks for the catch - mods please merge this in to the other thread.

sevin
07-17-2009, 09:13 AM
I

Unfortunately, even if "we win" for a time, I think the human race will eventually be unified under a one world government for some amount of time...whether in our lifetime or afterwards. We pretty much have no choice but to suffer through that eventually, because until it's "tried" and leads to the worst tyranny the world has ever known, too many naive people will continue to push for it. I don't think we could possibly score a lasting victory for liberty until after a one world government is established and later collapses or is destroyed by force. In light of that (as I edit my post an hour later), I guess you're right: Life expectancies are not looking good.

So, uh...yeah, there's a cheerful thought.

yeah, you just made my day. :rolleyes:

MsDoodahs
07-17-2009, 09:15 AM
Thanks for the catch - mods please merge this in to the other thread.

Done.

ItsTime
07-17-2009, 09:22 AM
I need a vacation. Lucky for me Im leaving for it in an hour.

Cowlesy
07-17-2009, 09:25 AM
Yeah we're pretty much boned unless we have some brass-balled democrats sh*tcan this bill in the House.

MsDoodahs
07-17-2009, 09:28 AM
Who had the idea for the floating hospitals that would be outside US waters so they could treat without all the horseshit the fedgov is shoving down our throats?

We definitely have to have some alternatives....

heavenlyboy34
07-17-2009, 09:39 AM
Fascist dictatorship, here we come! :(

TastyWheat
07-17-2009, 09:52 AM
I could've swore I posted this already (maybe my post was deleted???).

Anyway, the provision mentioned does not mean private insurance companies will be unable to take on new clients. It just means that "grandfathered" policies, free of the upcoming mandates, won't be able to take on any more clients. All new policies, once the bill is passed, must meet new stringent standards.

These standards, however, WILL be the straw that breaks the camel's back. If they do not cause a company to go out of business the premiums will be so high people will have to move to the cheaper/subsidized public option.

angelatc
07-17-2009, 10:15 AM

Anyway, the provision mentioned does not mean private insurance companies will be unable to take on new clients. It just means that "grandfathered" policies, free of the upcoming mandates, won't be able to take on any more clients. All new policies, once the bill is passed, must meet new stringent standards.

These standards, however, WILL be the straw that breaks the camel's back. If they do not cause a company to go out of business the premiums will be so high people will have to move to the cheaper/subsidized public option.

What's your source on that interpretation? IBD clearly says
When we first saw the paragraph Tuesday, just after the 1,018-page document was released, we thought we surely must be misreading it. So we sought help from the House Ways and Means Committee.

It turns out we were right: The provision would indeed outlaw individual private coverage.

Original_Intent
07-17-2009, 10:24 AM

I'm with Angel on this, I see no evidence to support your interpretation at all.

TastyWheat
07-17-2009, 10:32 AM
Maybe the legalese has me confused, but looking just in Section 102 (http://www.opencongress.org/bill/111-h3200/text?version=ih&nid=t0:ih:253), it says (emphasis mine):

(a) Grandfathered Health Insurance Coverage Defined- Subject to the succeeding provisions of this section, for purposes of establishing acceptable coverage under this division, the term ‘grandfathered health insurance coverage’ means individual health insurance coverage that is offered and in force and effect before the first day of Y1 if the following conditions are met:

(1) LIMITATION ON NEW ENROLLMENT-

(A) IN GENERAL- Except as provided in this paragraph, the individual health insurance issuer offering such [grandfathered] coverage does not enroll any individual in such coverage if the first effective date of coverage is on or after the first day of Y1.

(b) Grace Period for Current Employment-based Health Plans-

(1) GRACE PERIOD-

(A) IN GENERAL- The Commissioner shall establish a grace period whereby, for plan years beginning after the end of the 5-year period beginning with Y1, an employment-based health plan in operation as of the day before the first day of Y1 must meet the same requirements as apply to a qualified health benefits plan under section 101, including the essential benefit package requirement under section 121.

(c) Limitation on Individual Health Insurance Coverage-

(1) IN GENERAL- Individual health insurance coverage that is not grandfathered health insurance coverage under subsection (a) may only be offered on or after the first day of Y1 as an Exchange-participating health benefits plan.
So my interpretation is that old plans will become extinct and all new plans must meet the government's definition of "qualified".

Original_Intent
07-17-2009, 10:41 AM
So in essence:

NO new plans after day 1 of Year 1 of our Lord and savior, Government Health Care. (actually section C says there can be new policies but they must comply with the GHC plan.)

Any plans that are still in force after 5 years in the year of our Lord GHC, must be re-written to comply with the regulations of GHC (in other words become essentially identical to GHC)

DapperDan
07-17-2009, 10:47 AM
So in essence:

NO new plans after day 1 of Year 1 of our Lord and savior, Government Health Care. (actually section C says there can be new policies but they must comply with the GHC plan.)

Any plans that are still in force after 5 years in the year of our Lord GHC, must be re-written to comply with the regulations of GHC (in other words become essentially identical to GHC)

http://moniquemonicat.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/obama-messiah.jpg

I'm at mixed emotions of apathy and anger. I'm not surprised at all at what is in this bill. Pretty sure most of Congress has not read anything in this bill and are going to push it through before August recess. So what I take from it, is that eventually no matter who you are or what plan you have it will be some form of GHC. Is there anything in the bill for people who don't want healthcare or are they forced to get it?