PDA

View Full Version : Hawaii: Lawmakers Override Governor's Veto Of Marijuana Task Force Bill

disorderlyvision
07-16-2009, 04:55 PM
From NORML newsletter:

Honolulu, HI: Lawmakers voted 38 to 9 on Wednesday to override Republican Gov. Linda Lingle's veto of Senate Bill 1058, which establishes a study committee to examine options for providing state-authorized patients with access to medical cannabis.

Over 3,000 Hawaiians legally possess and cultivate cannabis under the authority of the state's nearly ten-year-old medical marijuana law.

Full text of SB 1058 is available at:

http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/session2009/bills/SB1058_CD1_.htm

idirtify
07-16-2009, 09:27 PM
Let’s see…correct me if I’m wrong, but I hate multiple-negatives and I’m I’m trying to decipher if this is good news or bad news. I believe we have a triple-reversal here:
“Lawmakers voted to REVERSE Gov. Lingle's REVERSAL of Senate Bill 1058, which establishes a study committee to REVERSE access to medical cannabis.”
Is that about right? So…is this a good thing for pot legalization advocates?

disorderlyvision
07-17-2009, 10:34 AM
http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/594/hawaii_medical_marijuana_veto_override

The Hawaii legislature Wednesday voted to override Republican Gov. Linda Lingle's veto of a bill that would establish a task force to examine problems and critical issues surrounding the state's medical marijuana law. Legislators voted to enact the bill, SB 1058, by a margin of 25-0 in the Senate and 38-9 in the House.

Hawaii became the first state to legalize medical marijuana through the legislative process when it passed its law in 2000. But patients and providers have complained over the years about various aspects of the law -- the program's administration by law enforcement instead of health officials, for example -- and have been urging the legislature to take a second look.

Now it will. Under the bill, the task force will:

Examine current state statutes, state administrative rules, and all county policies and procedures relating to the medical marijuana program;

Examine all issues and obstacles that qualifying patients have encountered with the program;
Examine all issue and obstacles that state and county law enforcement agencies have encountered with the program;
Compare and contrast Hawaii's program with all other state programs; and
Address other issues and perform any other function necessary as the task force deems appropriate, relating to the program.