PDA

View Full Version : Pentagon won't ban war-zone smoking, despite study

disorderlyvision
07-16-2009, 03:08 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090716/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/us_military_smoking

WASHINGTON – Smoke 'em if you got 'em. The Pentagon reassured troops Wednesday that it won't ban tobacco products in war zones. Defense officials hadn't actually planned to eliminate smoking — at least for now. But fear of a ban arose among some troops after the Defense Department received a study recommending the military move toward becoming tobacco-free — perhaps in about 20 years.

Press secretary Geoff Morrell pointedly told a Pentagon news conference that Defense Secretary Robert Gates is not planning to prohibit the use of cigarettes, chewing tobacco or other tobacco products by troops in combat.

"He knows that the situation they are confronting is stressful enough as it is," Morrell said, noting the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. "I don't think he is interested in adding to the stress levels by taking away one of the few outlets they may have to relieve stress."

Gates will review the new study to see if there are some things than can be done to work toward the goal of having a smoke-free force some day, Morrell said.

"Obviously, it's not our preference to have a force that is using tobacco products," he said, noting health concerns and the high cost of caring for health-related problems.

The study, commissioned by the Pentagon and the Veterans Affairs Department, recommended that the military start making incremental moves toward becoming smoke-free. The report by the Institute of Medicine suggested the services could start by banning smoking at military academies, then among recruits. It said the VA and Pentagon should eliminate use of tobacco on its facilities and the military should stop selling tobacco products at its commissaries.

The military and VA have been working for years to reduce smoking among soldiers and vets through a number of programs. The Pentagon laid out a plan in 1999 to reduce smoking rates by 5 percent a year and reduce chewing tobacco use to 15 percent by 2001 — and still wasn't able to achieve the goals.

"Tobacco use declined overall from 1980 to 2005, but there has recently been an increase in consumption, possibly because of increased tobacco use by deployed troops," the study said.

The military hasn't placed a high enough priority on reducing tobacco use, according to the study, and that while smoking has declined in the U.S., it remains higher in the military than in the civilian world.

In 2005, a third of members of the active-duty military smoked compared to a fifth of the adult U.S. population, the study said, adding that it "has been implicated in" higher dropout rates during and after basic training, higher absenteeism in the military and other problems.

Criticism of the proposals spread across the Internet and among troops.

"Our troops make enough sacrifices to serve our nation," said Brian Wise, executive director of the advocacy group Military Families United. "They give up many of the freedoms civilians enjoy already without being told they cannot partake in yet another otherwise legal activity."

Spc. Charles Rodriguez, 23, said he started smoking long before he joined the Army and that his pack-a-day habit doesn't affect his physical fitness. His Army instructors during basic training made him quit, but he quickly started up again, Rodriguez said in an interview outside of Fort Campbell, Ky.

During his last deployment to Iraq, Rodriguez found a lot of time to smoke while troops were patrolling or just hanging around the base. He said one of his friends who doesn't normally smoke would join him for a cigarette during the deployment, just out of boredom

Said Rodriguez, "There's nothing else to do and they're cheap over there."

Feenix566
07-16-2009, 03:10 PM
Good.

Telling troops they can't smoke because it's bad for their health is beyond ridiculous, considering the bullets whizzing by their heads.

Liberty Star
07-16-2009, 03:37 PM
Risk from second hand smoke in a war zone can be huge.

brandon
07-16-2009, 04:06 PM
lmao I can't believe they would even consider this.

What's next? Mandatory trigger locks for all guns in a warzone?

Dr.3D
07-16-2009, 04:07 PM
Risk from second hand smoke in a war zone can be huge.

Yeah, second hand smoke from an IED.

werdd
07-16-2009, 05:33 PM
I wonder what the % is of troops who do smoke? I imagine it is pretty high.

Nate
07-16-2009, 05:47 PM
Well this is one hitlerian policy that the Pentagon won't add to it's vast arsenal of hitlerian policies. At least not yet. Remeber we are being ruled by Fabians who believe in gradualism so they will just implement this one later. Right around the time the government nationalizes the health care system and bans smoking nationwide for everybody due to the added costs of smoking related illnesses.

idirtify
07-16-2009, 06:24 PM
"I don't think he is interested in adding to the stress levels by taking away one of the few outlets they may have to relieve stress."

What a hypocritical double-standard! If only such sanity existed with other DRUGS in the military and with all drugs in civilian society! Since when are soldiers the only ones with lots of stress, and since when is nicotine the only drug that relieves it? Or to reverse the psychology, but to point out the same hypocrisy: Since when did it become ok to endorse a drug addiction in the name of stress? While I agree with the ruling, I don’t think that’s what all those banners (“support the troops”) intend to mean. I mean, I’ve heard that meth is one of the best stress relievers for war – in fact I believe many troops on both sides of WWII gobbled it.

Or maybe it’s really a secret plan by the military to gain recruits; when FDA makes tobacco effectively illegal for civilians, loads of people will be volunteering to fight wars in order to smoke. I can see the political cartoons now: a bunch of slackers in a foxhole puffing away making ironic comments about the war on terror.

phill4paul
07-16-2009, 06:26 PM
By 2015 smoking will be banned in the military.

Dr.3D
07-16-2009, 06:33 PM
By 2015 smoking will be banned in the military.

Isn't it strange how they did a 180? As I understand it, in WWII they used to get a pack of smokes in the C rations packages.

I know in Vietnam, cigs sold by the military to the soldiers were so cheap, it was very hard to not start smoking them.

phill4paul
07-16-2009, 06:51 PM
Isn't it strange how they did a 180? As I understand it, in WWII they used to get a pack of smokes in the C rations packages.

I know in Vietnam, cigs sold by the military to the soldiers were so cheap, it was very hard to not start smoking them.

I use to pay my bar tabs in Yokosuka, Japan w/ American smokes. LOL.

They truly believe that smokers cost more in health care than recent studies that show smokers have a shorter life span and therefore cost less.

Yep, it's cigarettes that caused all the lung problems w/ Viet Vets.:rolleyes:

REDNECK WOMAN
07-16-2009, 10:14 PM
100-year-old celebrates her birthday by smoking 170,000th cigaretteLast updated at 16:42 27 August 2007

Comments (3) Add to My Stories Winne Langley celebrated her 100th birthday the best way she knows how - smoking
An iron-lunged pensioner has celebrated her 100th birthday by lighting up her 170,000th cigerette from a candle on her birthday cake.
Winnie Langley started smoking only days after the First World War broke out in June 1914 when she was just seven-years-old - and has got through five a day ever since.
She has no intention of quitting, even after the nationwide ban forced tobacco-lovers outside.
Speaking at her 100th birthday party Winnie said: "I have smoked ever since infant school and I have never thought about quitting.
Read more...
Half of smokers 'have cut back since ban'
Swedish woman banned from smoking in her yard because neighbour is allergic
"There were not all the the health warnings like there are today when I started. It was the done thing."
Winnie, from Croydon, South London, claims tobacco has never made her ill.
She has outlived a husband, Robert, and son, Donald, who died two years ago aged 72.
The former launderette worker said she started the habit in 1914 - just weeks after the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand in Sarajevo on June 28 - which sparked the First World War.
The 100-year-old, who is awaiting her telegram from the Queen today, said smoking helped calm her nerves during the two World Wars.
She said: "A lot of people smoked during the war. It helped steady the nerves."
Despite the numerous health warnings, Mrs Langley insists she's never suffered because of the habit as she "has never inhaled".

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-478075/100-year-old-celebrates-birthday-smoking-170-000th-cigarette.html#ixzz0LUGgBzFZ

gls
07-16-2009, 10:19 PM
I wonder what the % is of troops who do smoke? I imagine it is pretty high.

I read that it was around 1/3 of active-duty personnel.

Well this is one hitlerian policy that the Pentagon won't add to it's vast arsenal of hitlerian policies. At least not yet. Remeber we are being ruled by Fabians who believe in gradualism so they will just implement this one later. Right around the time the government nationalizes the health care system and bans smoking nationwide for everybody due to the added costs of smoking related illnesses.

Yes, the forced government "health care" will be the pretense for more and more government intrusion in individual's private lives.

werdd
07-18-2009, 07:51 AM
Wasnt it the Nazis who last banned smoking in their military?

German anti-tobacco policies accelerated towards the end of the 1930s,and by the early war years tobacco use had begun to decline. The Luftwaffe banned smoking in 1938 and the post office did likewise.Smoking was barred in many workplaces, government offices, hospitals,and rest homes. The NSDAP (National sozialistische Deutsche Arbeiterpartei) announced a ban on smoking in its offices in 1939, at which time SS chief Heinrich Himmler announced a smoking ban for all uniformed police and SS officers while on duty.(15) The Journal of the American Medical Association that year reported Hermann Goering's decree barring soldiers from smoking on the streets, on marches, and on brief off duty periods.(16) Sixty of Germany's largest cities banned smoking on street cars in 1941.(17) Smoking was banned in air raid shelters-though some shelters reserved separate rooms for smokers.(18) During the war years tobacco rationing coupons were denied to pregnant women (and to all women below the age of 25) while restaurants and cafes were barred from selling cigarettes to female customers.(19) From July 1943 it was illegal for anyone under the age of 18 to smoke in public.(20) Smoking was banned on all German city trains and buses in 1944, the initiative coming from Hitler himself,who was worried about exposure of young female conductors to tobacco smoke.(21) Nazi policies were heralded as marking"the beginning of the end" of tobacco use in Germany.(14)