PDA

View Full Version : How does one not get discouraged by these types of poll results

Krugerrand
07-16-2009, 12:03 PM
On other health care questions, the (new McClatchy-Ipsos poll released Wednesday) poll found that Americans:
— Support tax breaks to small businesses to help provide insurance, by 91-8 percent.
— Want the government to have the power to negotiate drug prices, by 71-25.
— Want to order businesses to offer insurance to employees, by 70-28.
— Support mandating individuals to have insurance, by 69-26.
— Want limits on malpractice awards against health care providers, by 62-31.
— Support higher taxes on alcoholic beverages to help pay for health care, by 59-39.
— Oppose higher taxes on soft drinks, by 51-42.
— Oppose a national sales tax or value added tax, by 61-32.
— Oppose taxing people on the value of their employer-provided health insurance, by 64-32.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/mcclatchy/3272692

How are we every going to get back to liberty when people are so screwed up?

(side note: The alcohol tax particularly irks me. I dislike the "try and stick it to somebody else" approach of taxes/deductions. Such obvious theft by majority vote.)

acptulsa
07-16-2009, 12:13 PM
Are these the questions that were asked? While out to lunch, I saw a poll on the t.v. It asked, 'Should people be more careful about...?' When the poll results come out, how much do you want to bet they say, 'x% of responders polled say ... should be made illegal'?

'Round these parts when the $#!+ gets too thick we put our boots on. Works.

Krugerrand
07-16-2009, 12:26 PM
Are these the questions that were asked? While out to lunch, I saw a poll on the t.v. It asked, 'Should people be more careful about...?' When the poll results come out, how much do you want to bet they say, 'x% of responders polled say ... should be made illegal'?

'Round these parts when the $#!+ gets too thick we put our boots on. Works.

http://media.mcclatchydc.com/smedia/2009/07/15/15/Rankin-Healthcare-poll.source.prod_affiliate.91.pdf

"Please tell me how much would you support or oppose the following measures in order to allow all Americans to have access to quality healthcare?"

Cowlesy
07-16-2009, 12:36 PM
*facepalm*

acptulsa
07-16-2009, 12:38 PM
You're right. That is depressing.

Well, I wish I could get good poll numbers on how many more reasonable people just refuse to play with pollsters. But those are hard poll numbers to get right, for some reason...

klamath
07-16-2009, 12:57 PM
You're right. That is depressing.

Well, I wish I could get good poll numbers on how many more reasonable people just refuse to play with pollsters. But those are hard poll numbers to get right, for some reason...

I do believe polls play with stats to get a politcal a agenda across especially in off election times so people can't compare polls with real election results. I remember all during the Clinton years the polls had him at 60% or better yet for some reason he never managed to get 50% in both of his elections.
That being said a person can get a real good idea how the country is feeling by just talking with your friends,family and average man on the street is feeling about issues and unfortunately the average person is very much into sociallism right now. It is the price we are paying for having someone like Bush that claimed to be a free market man and have that image backed up by the left media. When things fell apart it was so easy to smoothly bring the blame on the free market.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
07-16-2009, 01:04 PM
My neighbor was outraged when I mentioned a possible tax on sodas and openly questioned why they did noy put more tax on alcohol and tobacco to cover it. She is a heavy soda drinker and does not think they should tax what she likes. This is the same person who will just cover her ears and go "la la la la la la" when I say anything about the federal reserve or erosion of civil liberties. In her words "I just have to tone out the smart stuff". It is people like this that make me want to lose hope but it is people like you guys who don't let me.

pcosmar
07-16-2009, 02:16 PM
How does one not get discouraged by these types of poll results

By realizing that Polls are inaccurate, misleading and pointless.

Oh yeah,

FU Frank