PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul pulls out of WY forum...

wgadget
09-25-2007, 06:30 AM
..guess he hasn't quite mastered being in two places at once. Now it will be funny if the "top tier" all decide to show up all of a sudden.

http://www.jacksonholestartrib.com/articles/2007/09/25/news/wyoming/af446a732ef03b9687257361000672ac.txt

Symbol Lookup
[oas:casperstartribune.net:x01]

Paul pulls out of GOP forums

By JARED MILLER
Star-Tribune capital bureau Tuesday, September 25, 2007
[oas:casperstartribune.net/news/wyoming:Middle1]

CHEYENNE -- The list of GOP presidential hopefuls scheduled to speak at forums in Casper and Riverton this weekend swelled to five on Monday, then quickly shrank back to four.

Rep. Tom Tancredo, R-Colo., has committed to take part in the Saturday forums at Casper College and Central Wyoming College, organizer Perry Marple said.

Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas, meanwhile, has pulled out of the events, which will feature actor and former Tennessee Sen. Fred. Thompson, Rep. Duncan Hunter, R-Calif., and Sen. Sam Brownback, R-Kan., Marple said.

Paul's campaign team gave no reason for his decision to pull out, Marple said. The campaign Web site shows Paul attending a rally in Manchester, N.H., that day.

In another slight change, Thompson has decided to participate only in the Casper event; a video of his presentation will be shown at the Riverton forum, Marple said.

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, Arizona Sen. John McCain and former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney declined to participate in the forums.

Romney visited Jackson in August, and his wife paid a visit to Cheyenne.

Despite the snub by the campaign front-runners, the Saturday forums appear to have attracted an unusual number of candidates to Wyoming.

The Wyoming Republican Central Committee earlier moved up the GOP county conventions to Jan. 5 in an attempt to entice Republican candidates to visit the state and give Wyoming a role in the national selection process.

State GOP activist Tom Sansonetti said the commitment by four presidential hopefuls to appear at a Wyoming campaign event is proof that the tactic is paying off.

“It means that Wyoming is slowly but surely being put on a par with Iowa and New Hampshire,” said Sansonetti, who is coordinating the state party's 2008 county conventions. “It means that Wyoming's move to January 5 is garnering the attention that was hoped for.”

In addition to the presidential hopefuls at the forum, Wyoming's congressional delegates have been invited to give speeches on topics of their choice at the Casper forum, although none have yet committed, Marple said.

The first forum will begin at 10 a.m. Sept. 29 at Casper College's Erickson Thunderbird Gym. The second event with the same format will be at 5 p.m. the same day at Central Wyoming College in Riverton.

Speeches by the candidates will lead off both meetings, followed by questions from Republican precinct committee men and women. The precinct people, who will be credentialed before each event, will have reserved seating.

The public is invited to attend either or both forums, the GOP says.

Reach capital bureau reporter Jared Miller at (307) 632-1244 or at jared.miller@casperstartribune.net.

Email this story

LibertyEagle
09-25-2007, 06:35 AM
Oh well. That's too bad this was scheduled on the same day. I would have been good to have the opportunity to talk to the folks in Wyoming.

On to New Hampshire.................

BuddyRey
09-25-2007, 06:36 AM
RP must be exhausted. I'm 23 and shudder to think how I would be able to hold up under his schedule! I don't know HOW he does it, but I think he's supernaturally possessed of some awesome reserve of spiritual strength. Still, I hope he knows to take it easy sometimes and get some rest when he can. We're gonna need him to be just as much on the ball for the next four to eight years!!! :D

LibertyEagle
09-25-2007, 06:38 AM
Yeah, I'm sure glad he's such an exercise fiend and in such good shape. He's an amazing man. :)

JosephTheLibertarian
09-25-2007, 06:40 AM
I guess that's why Tancredo isn't going to the pbs one?

speciallyblend
09-25-2007, 07:13 AM
There should stil be a strong push to have RON PAUL SUPPORTERS IN WYOMING TO SHOW UP IN HUGE NUMBERS,imagine more ron paul supporters show then all the other candidates supporters.THIS SHOULD BE A GOAL IN WYOMING

FluffyUnbound
09-25-2007, 07:15 AM
Well, at least that means that there's no longer any ambiguity about where he's going to be on Saturday.

I would have been really disappointed if he wasn't at the NH event.

Badger Paul
09-25-2007, 07:59 AM
Damn, if not a stand-in at least has supporters there at the forum to show RP has support in the state.

Hopefully there will be more forums in Wyoming in the future.

foofighter20x
09-25-2007, 03:13 PM
Damn, if not a stand-in at least has supporters there at the forum to show RP has support in the state.

Hopefully there will be more forums in Wyoming in the future.

LOL... Get the Wyoming MeetUps there in force and have them write his name in on a "Who Won the Debate" scorecard. Think about how'd great that'd be if Dr Paul won when he didn't even attend. :D