PDA

View Full Version : Rich government employee complains government not helping him enough.

muh_roads
07-15-2009, 02:22 PM
I got a huge kick out of this.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/economy/housing/2009-07-14-sales-jumbo-loans_N.htm

Meanwhile, in jumbo-heavy markets, homeowners are increasingly frustrated by their inability to sell. They can't relocate for jobs or retirement. They can't unload vacation homes that they may now struggle to afford.

One such homeowner is Robert Westover, who works for the federal government in Washington, D.C. He's been trying for months to sell a home in Hawaii with an ocean view. He bought it for $585,000 six years ago; it was valued at $1.1 million during the real estate peak in 2006. But there are no offers. He planned to list it for $940,000, but his Realtor suggested $890,000. Then he lowered it to $850,000. At one point, a potential buyer came forward but had no financing.

"It's just been tough. It was getting crazy," says Westover, 45, who now is taking the home off the market and renting it instead. "I hope I've learned a lesson, which is don't put anything on the market in this economy. Most people who have homes in the jumbo (price range) are reliable, pay bills. Why are we suffering while the government gives help to everyone else?"

acptulsa
07-15-2009, 02:24 PM
A vacation home in Hawaii sure is an awful burden. Can't you just feel his pain and suffering?

What are people thinking when they say crap like that?! And what on earth was USA Today thinking when they gave it the time of day?

Gee, wonder why all the poorer states are talking of secession? Are they just a bunch of ingrates? Or could it be they're tired of buying Hawaiian oceanfront property for ingrates like this one?

muh_roads
07-15-2009, 02:28 PM
Gee, wonder why all the poorer states are talking of secession? Are they just a bunch of ingrates? Or could it be they're tired of buying Hawaiian oceanfront property for ingrates like this one?

Nail head meet hammer. Perfect post.

phill4paul
07-15-2009, 02:58 PM
$300,00 for a six year investment is somehow a bad thing? Even if, heavens forbid, he rock bottomed and only made 150,000 off it I don't think I would cry for him.

Homeowners got dollar signs in their eyes in the pre-bubble boom. That is why they are having such a hard time marketing their property in post-bubble times. So you didn't triple your investment like you thought you should. Cry me a river. You missed the boat.

New York For Paul
07-16-2009, 10:16 AM
When they are not in Hawaii, they are shopping at the two Neiman Marcus stores in the Washington D.C. area or at the outer banks of North Carolina, Virginia Beach or Ocean City Maryland.