PDA

View Full Version : Why isn't there a Floor vote on auditing the Fed

Bradley in DC
07-15-2009, 01:06 PM
Just a few quick random thoughts to give another perspective:

The total number of cosponsors is less important than the number of cosponsors who are members of the financial services cmte.

(The above statement is not true for "noncontroversial" measures. No, stop thinking, "how is merely auditing the ...." This refers to renaming Post Offices, declaring asparagus week or whatnot.)

The bill matters. That's why everyone is doing what they're doing.

The chairman of the relevant cmte genuinely likes and respects Dr. Paul (not that they agree most of the time). There is a scarcity question involved. The cmte is only going fit in X number of hearings a week and X number of "markups" when they consider a bill, bring up and vote on amendments, vote to send it the whole House, etc.

I think a hearing was penciled in and then postponed because, well, other stuff hit the fan. I'm sure everyone else here has noticed one or two other financial services related issues in the news.

One possibility--and the one most likely IMHO to see it become law--would be for Dr. Paul's bill to get redrafted as an amendment and offered during the markup of another bill. The cmte is considering several vehicles that would make good targets. (What was attempted in the Senate is a good illustration: once in cmte by Grassley, again on the floor.)

Enjoy.

Bradley in DC
07-15-2009, 01:23 PM
The schedule is posted here:

http://financialservices.house.gov/schedule.html

torchbearer
07-15-2009, 01:32 PM
I thought they had their first hearing on 1207 the other day?
Was I mistaken?

Imperial
07-15-2009, 01:32 PM
In an article from Politico Frank had said they were going to schedule hearings next year, after the Obama financial regulatory bill was voted on.

rp08orbust
07-15-2009, 01:35 PM
In an article from Politico Frank had said they were going to schedule hearings next year, after the Obama financial regulatory bill was voted on.

LOL, are you sure that wasn't The Onion? I *hope* that was The Onion.

Bradley in DC
I thought they had their first hearing on 1207 the other day?
Was I mistaken?

The issue came up (repeatedly) in a hearing on another topic.

Alawn
One possibility--and the one most likely IMHO to see it become law--would be for Dr. Paul's bill to get redrafted as an amendment and offered during the markup of another bill. The cmte is considering several vehicles that would make good targets. (What was attempted in the Senate is a good illustration: once in cmte by Grassley, again on the floor.)

We don't want them redrafting it as an amendment. Then it will just get pasted on to some other really bad bill so they have to vote for something bad to get it passed or decide not to vote for it because of how bad the other part is.

Bradley in DC
07-15-2009, 01:39 PM

The regulatory reform proposal is in more than one bill. Those proposals will dominate the agenda of the cmte. The Congress will be out for several weeks for August recess. The calendar is here:
http://www.house.gov/house/House_Calendar.shtml
with target adjournment in October. The clock is fast running out.

If the bill is not offered as an amendment, it is very possible it will be pushed back until next year.

Bradley in DC
07-15-2009, 01:40 PM
We don't want them redrafting it as an amendment. Then it will just get pasted on to some other really bad bill so they have to vote for something bad to get it passed or decide not to vote for it because of how bad the other part is.

Welcome to politics. :eek:

Imperial
07-15-2009, 01:42 PM
LOL, are you sure that wasn't The Onion? I *hope* that was The Onion.

Sorry, its the real deal.

Frank, chairman of the House Financial Services Committee, is a Bernanke backer, but he too is concerned about possible abuses — and plans to hold hearings on 13(3) next year.

Hearings into Paul’s bill are on hold, pending the overhaul of the financial regulatory system.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0609/23911_Page2.html#ixzz0LMLF8TO0&C

Matt Collins
07-15-2009, 06:47 PM
Welcome to politics. :eek:

Well in that case Ron will vote against HR 1207.