PDA

View Full Version : Hacker's human rights 'ignored'

disorderlyvision
07-15-2009, 11:38 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8149986.stm

Human rights arguments against extraditing a British man accused of hacking into US military networks were not "confronted," a court has heard.

Gary McKinnon, 43, from Wood Green, London, wants to overturn a refusal to put him on trial in the UK on charges of computer misuse.

Edward Fitzgerald QC accused the Director of Public Prosecutions Keir Starmer QC of misapplying the law.

Mr McKinnon, who has Asperger's Syndrome, faces trial in America.

Mr Starmer decided there was "insufficient evidence" to support a UK prosecution under the Computer Misuse Act.

If there is no UK prosecution, Mr McKinnon would inevitably be extradited to stand trial in the US, the judges heard.

Lawyers for the DPP are arguing the decision not to prosecute was "entirely rational" and was "manifestly not one which is susceptible to judicial review".

Mr McKinnon, who was arrested by British police in 2002, has already appealed unsuccessfully to the House of Lords and the European Court of Human Rights to avoid extradition.

Mr McKinnon is accused of hacking into 97 government computers belonging to organisations including the US Navy and Nasa during 2001 and 2002.

The US government says this caused damage costing $800,000 (£500,000) at a time of heightened security in the wake of the 11 September 2001 attacks.

He claims he was looking for details of UFOs.

"Psychological suffering"

Mr Fitzgerald told two High Court judges in London that extraditing Mr McKinnon would lead to "disastrous consequences" because of his medical condition, including possible psychosis and suicide.

Mr Fitzgerald also said Mr Starmer had failed to confront the new evidence concerning Mr McKinnon's medical condition and deal with the human rights issues it raised.

If sent to the US, Mr McKinnon was likely to receive a substantial prison sentence and was unlikely to be repatriated to serve his sentence, Mr Fitzgerald said.

And the process of extradition, trial and sentence would expose Mr McKinnon to "an avoidable and unnecessary risk of serious psychological suffering" with "all of the attendant disastrous consequences," he added.

This application for judicial review at the High Court in London is the second recent legal challenge in Mr McKinnon's case.

In the first, Mr Fitzgerald accused the home secretary of reaching a "flawed" decision, following medical evidence of the severe mental suffering that extradition would cause.

The judges are expected to give their ruling in both legal challenges later this month.

acptulsa
07-15-2009, 11:44 AM
All this over Asperger's? So, someone takes a personality type that has been around since before recorded history, hangs a 'syndrome' name on it, someone else's lawyer uses it to get him off, and then you have a bunch of perfectly functional people labeled, stigmatized, and probably turned down for jobs they can do and do well.

Gee, that's good for the economy...

Maybe in some ways ignorance is bliss. No, that's not it. Hanging a label on a personality type isn't a boon to the human body of knowledge at all--it's just a way to stigmatize people.

apropos
07-15-2009, 12:37 PM
This doesn't sound like a great defense.

GreenCardSeeker
07-15-2009, 12:48 PM
Mr McKinnon is accused of hacking into 97 government computers belonging to organisations including the US Navy and Nasa during 2001 and 2002.

The US government says this caused damage costing $800,000 (£500,000) at a time of heightened security in the wake of the 11 September 2001 attacks.

My, that's so bright. Nothing the US government likes better than someone hacking into their computers when they've declared a "war on terror".

It isn't too uncommon that people with Asperger's find themselves hacking into computers, that's for sure.. I've got it, and at 20, I did something similar to this guy, I hacked into a couple of US military computers among lots of other things.. It all ended in a trial in Sweden where I was hit with a truly draconic fine of $500 for a year's worth of hacking. I guess there are a few upsides to living in Sweden.

There was even a bit of FBI correspondence in the trial. I've long since abandoned this hobby though.

t0rnado
07-15-2009, 01:24 PM
When hackers get sent to prison the length is usually based on the amount of monetary loss. In this case, the US government just made up some numbers. After U.S. v Petersen, the federal government began adding 12 - 24 more months to the sentence if the hacker possessed "special skills" such as the ability to program.

That being said, this guy is an idiot that allowed himself to get caught. I've been following this for a while and he did things like leave the NASA scientists messages on their own computers, political messages, and other crap. I don't see how being an Aspie should have any effect on his sentencing. Anyone can go to a psychiatrist and get diagnosed with ADHD, Autism, or Aspergers. You just have to keep shifting your eyes, speak when the psychiatrist is trying to speak, etc.

Optatron
07-15-2009, 02:26 PM
http://www.hackersforcharity.org/259/paypal-shuts-us-down/