PDA

View Full Version : America's Cushiest Federal Prisons

clb09
07-15-2009, 07:09 AM
http://www.forbes.com/2009/07/13/best-prisons-cushiest-madoff-personal-finance-lockups_slide_2.html?partner=yahoo

catdd
07-15-2009, 07:20 AM
Wonder which one Madoff will serve his time in?

emazur
07-15-2009, 07:21 AM
Prisons shouldn't be cushy, but one thing I did notice on several of those is that they offer job training, and I don't think that's such a bad thing b/c the purpose of prison is supposed to be reform, and if you have a steady job it seems much less likely one would continue with a life of crime. But I also think prisoners shouldn't be given a free ride - let them spend several hours a day every week doing hard labor - if you take something away from society by committing crimes and using up taxpayer dollars, than you should be forced to give something back to society, and that's where the hard labor (or any kind of labor) comes in. A fellow RPF member made a documentary on Sweden, and if you wanna talk cushy prisons, look at the Swedes.
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=195091
It starts off slow, but has good parts in it, the prison system over there seems pretty shocking and to me is by far the best part of the documentary

Munier1
07-15-2009, 07:43 AM
Madoff is in Butner, NC.

Freedom 4 all
07-15-2009, 09:46 AM
This is bullshit. White collar criminals should go to a standard assraping facility like everyone else. Either make the prison system humane for everyone or no one.

__27__
07-15-2009, 10:34 AM
This is bullshit. White collar criminals should go to a standard assraping facility like everyone else. Either make the prison system humane for everyone or no one.

The level of "humanity" in a prison has nothing to do with it's layout, it's design, it's amenities, etc. It has to do with it's inhabitants. I've worked as a guard in both prison and county jail, and even the most confining prison environment can be a downright "decent" place to "live" depending on who calls the block home.

s35wf
07-15-2009, 10:47 AM
a friend of mine who has had several encounters with the law in the past has always said "if your gonna end up on the inside, do it big, so that way you end up with federal time rather than county or state"! why???? cuz the fed prison is kindof like a country club house!