PDA

View Full Version : What is the proper way for the federal govt make money?

Starks
09-25-2007, 03:49 AM
Assuming the IRS is done away with.

John of Des Moines
09-25-2007, 06:19 AM
Right now all the personal income taxes goes to the FEederal Reserve as interest on the debt. The federal government should not "make" money. Under the constitution it can coin money - take gold or silver and produce a coin representing its value. The Coinage Act of 1792 allow a person to go to the US Mint with their gold / silver and receive a coin in return. You'd take 1 oz to the mint and they'd give you a .95 oz coin. (I'm not sure of the exact percentage but the government kept a small amount of your 1 oz of gold / silver for production costs and profit.)

BuddyRey
09-25-2007, 06:40 AM
I say "by not existing at all", but I'm quite possibly on the extreme end of the anti-Federalist side. I think the only possible function of the Federal government over the states is to enforce the Constitution and maintain a volunteer army.

sickmint79
09-25-2007, 07:46 AM
i think technically the IRS wouldn't be abolished, just the federal income tax. gov't would still collect money from corporate tax and the other various taxes they have.

if we shrunk it down to a "proper" size, it is not unfeasible to rid ourselves of the federal income tax.

Bryan
09-25-2007, 08:55 AM
I think the most important thing to keep in mind is Dr. Paul's philosophy that governments purpose is to preserve and protect the liberty of the people. In general, I see four overall methods that the government can use to raise revenue:

1. Forced taxation
2. Fines
3. Optional user fees for specific services offered
4. Volunteer donations

It should be noted that the first one is unnecessary and uses the arbitrary force of government which counters Dr. Paul's philosophy of the purpose of government. Ultimately, forced taxation should be rejected since there is no natural right for one man or group of men to violate the sovereign individuality of another any more then he can violate them. The second option is debatable but can be dangerously close to forced taxation. The last two options are all that are legitimate for any sort of moral, ethical or freedom perspective. Application of forced taxation leads to servitude, poverty, rebellion and war- not a very nice world.

Starks
09-25-2007, 09:37 AM
Doesn't any govt, no matter how small it may be, need funds in order to operate?

nexalacer
09-25-2007, 09:40 AM
I think the only way the government should be able to make money is through voluntary subscription to its services. But then, if it's voluntary, it's no longer a government, it's just another business on the market of ideas, trying to get its share of the market.

I love the grace and simplicity of Anarcho-Capitalism.

jblosser
09-25-2007, 10:13 AM
Ron has advocated excise taxes and non-protectionist tariffs.

Kregener
09-25-2007, 10:20 AM
In fiscal year (FY) 2008, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has requested an $11.6 billion operating-level budget with about 63 percent going for enforcement "activities" and 31 percent for taxpayer "service" (including operational support)

The remainder includes funding to develop and implement IRS’s Business Systems Modernization (BSM) program, a multibillion-dollar, high-risk, complex effort intended to help improve both enforcement and taxpayer service.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s167/Kregener/Jackboots/s_irs.jpg

jacmicwag
09-26-2007, 12:54 AM
Long-term, no-cut clause with C-Span 2. History channel gig and sell CIA secrets as needed to make up the deficit. And, of course, partner with Goggle for reality, spy, in-home videos.

a_european
09-26-2007, 12:56 AM
Anonymous Donations :D

libertarianguy
09-26-2007, 01:03 AM
test