PDA

View Full Version : Sotomayor hearing a mockery for property rights

Bryan
07-14-2009, 12:20 PM
I just caught some of the hearing for Sotomayor, it was a noisy environment so I'm not 100% on all this but here's is what I gathered in 5 minutes:

- The Kelo vs. New London case was totally misrepresented in that it was never mentioned that the land takings were specifically for private use. Sotomayor talked about land takings by the government and development contracted out to private developers. This isn't at all what the case was about.

- When asked directly if she would support a case where the government took land and offered no compensation she would not say she would oppose it. She didn't answer the question.

- She had a case where she denied the right to a trial of a man who was about to have his land taken from him. She started to justify her actions when someone started yelling and was removed. I couldn't take listening anymore either.

Dr.3D
07-14-2009, 12:23 PM
From what I understand, she said the case was judged against him because he didn't come forward in a timely manor.

I guess when you are getting screwed, if you don't yell about it soon enough, then it is fine if somebody screws you.

tangent4ronpaul
07-14-2009, 12:25 PM
We should call her Sodomyer in recognition of what she's going to do to us...

-t

Bman
07-14-2009, 12:26 PM
I refuse to watch at all. Our supreme court is completely fubar, and has been for a while.

Stary Hickory
07-14-2009, 12:26 PM
She seems intent on creating law rather than following it. She does not need to be approved IMO. She has shown a degree of racial bias that has no place in the SC. The SC will lose even more of it's credibility if she is approved.

The SC is starting to really look like a complete political animal. The law is the law, and she should know better. I really am starting to lose respect for the SC with every confiormation of these types to office. They have a sworn duty to uphold the law and the constitution NOT create law.

Elwar
07-14-2009, 12:32 PM
I bet that all the talk about the Constitution was probably getting a bit much right...???

I think my first question would be something like..."So, have you ever actually read the Constitution?"
If yes..."what do you think of it? Can you recite the 10th Amendment from heart?"

angelatc
07-14-2009, 12:40 PM
You know what? I think the President has a right to appoint whomever he wants, unless there's blatant corruption. That's the way the system used to work, and that's the way it should be.

I would have been content with Bush's failed nominee, simply because she was somebody from outside the normal channels of the system. Heck, there's no law that says the Justices even have to be lawyers.

The Democrats won't ever play by the mutual respect book again, and in fact started this whole game of flogging the candidates, but the selection process of today is not representative of the system at it's finest.

Obama is *not* going to pick anybody we like. At least Sotomayor has a reputation for being an isolated nasty B*tch that's hard to work with. There's a slim chance that will alienate her from the other liberals on the court, which might occasionally work in our favor.

At this point, I think we're lucky that Obama isn't making noises about increasing the number of justices.

angelatc
07-14-2009, 12:43 PM
From what I understand, she said the case was judged against him because he didn't come forward in a timely manor.

I guess when you are getting screwed, if you don't yell about it soon enough, then it is fine if somebody screws you.

Unless you're a woman who is ticked off that other employees made more money than you, then you can get Congress to change the law nee Lily Ledbetter.

teacherone
07-14-2009, 01:21 PM
- She had a case where she denied the right to a trial of a man who was about to have his land taken from him. She started to justify her actions when someone started yelling and was removed. I couldn't take listening anymore either.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I believe that someone was Jane Roe...crazy people come to crazy town!