PDA

View Full Version : What's your stance on speeding tickets?

Met Income
07-14-2009, 05:28 AM
Is driving fast negligent to others safety?

brandon
07-14-2009, 05:30 AM
Driving at any speed puts others in danger and that is why I think driving should be banned all together.

coyote_sprit
07-14-2009, 06:36 AM
Driving at any speed puts others in danger and that is why I think driving should be banned all together.

So does walking but then how would you get to 7/11 you drunkard!!!

james1906
07-14-2009, 06:38 AM
Most speed limits are artificially low to keep the coffers filled.

Steeleye
07-14-2009, 06:47 AM
Being from Jersey, I don't give a fuck.

Natalie
07-14-2009, 07:32 AM
Josh and I were talking about this last week. I got my first speeding ticket (I was going 75, speed limit was 60). Josh said it's a victimless crime, and no one got hurt, therefore I shouldn't have gotten a ticket. Even though I am not happy about the ticket, I agree with speeding laws. I wouldn't want to drive down the highway with my baby in the car if people can drive as fast as they want.

Elwar
07-14-2009, 07:35 AM
I think private road companies have the right to set the speed limit to anything they see fit.

Scofield
07-14-2009, 07:38 AM
The traffic violation laws aren't here for our protection, they are here for the purpose of bringing in revenue for the State.

paulitics
07-14-2009, 07:46 AM

Yes, if you are going 55 in a residential neighborhood, it is reckless driving, and can kill someone..a child crossing the street for instance. The child just wants to play, and his ball is across the street, he looks both ways, does not see a car, and bam! It is not the child or parent's fault since the driver came out of nowhere and they could not see the car coming.

Once, my car was parked legally in a residential neighborhood, and was completely totalled beyond what a car even looks like by someone going about 60 miles per hour. If I was in the car, or walking close to my car I would have been killed. The criminal's car was somehow able to still flee the scene. He should be in jail.

Brassmouth
07-14-2009, 07:55 AM
Being from Jersey, I don't give a fuck.

Yes, but being from Jersey, the abolition of speeding tickets would save us a helluva lotta money! ;)

Kraig
07-14-2009, 08:03 AM
I think speeding rules are a good thing and they would be created and enforced much better if it was left to a private company. Half the time you are on the highway in a big city it is safer to keep up with traffic than it is to slow down and go the speed limit. Nothing like getting pulled over for "speeding" when literally nearly ever car in visible range is going the same speed as you were.

Original_Intent
07-14-2009, 08:08 AM
Seat belt laws - "Click it or ticket" piss me off no end. However, I think speed limits are reasonable. And I wear seat belts all the time, and would if there were laws or not. It just pisses me off that someone is threatening to fine me if I don't wear the properly approved safety gear.

RevolutionSD
07-14-2009, 08:14 AM

In a free society, it would be up to the private road owner on how/if they would impose any speed limits.

I'm completely opposed to the current system of roving gangs on the freeways being able to pull people over at the threat of violence at will, and then you're guilty until proven innocent (which rarely happens).

pcosmar
07-14-2009, 08:15 AM
Stupid and arbitrary. like so many laws.

but I observe them anyway, because I don't like fines.

RevolutionSD
07-14-2009, 08:19 AM
Josh and I were talking about this last week. I got my first speeding ticket (I was going 75, speed limit was 60). Josh said it's a victimless crime, and no one got hurt, therefore I shouldn't have gotten a ticket. Even though I am not happy about the ticket, I agree with speeding laws. I wouldn't want to drive down the highway with my baby in the car if people can drive as fast as they want.

In a free society, roads would be MUCH safer, as no road owner in their right mind would want to be known for having dangerous roads. Cops make the roads more dangerous, not safer. Plus with all the quotas, do you really think that's a fair system, or rather, that innocent people not harming anyone are getting pulled over all the time?

Mrs.Joe
07-14-2009, 08:22 AM
Joe and I were talking about this a while back, and agreed that since the roads are not owned by us, the owners of the road i.e. the state gets to set the limit on how fast you can drive on those roads, since it is their property. I do agree with speed limits, there are too many people that would not only kill themselves by speeding, which is fine by me, but also take out however many other people with them.
We live on a road that is 25 mph, people go at least 40 down this road where children are out playing ball etc. It dangerous and I wish more people would get tickets on this road so that people would actually stop speeding. Im sure this will not be a popular opinion but its mine.

torchbearer
07-14-2009, 08:37 AM
if there is no victim there is no crime.

Danke
07-14-2009, 08:44 AM
Josh and I were talking... I wouldn't want to drive down the highway with my baby in the car if people can drive as fast as they want.

Congratulations!!

Boy or girl? What did you two name the baby?

brandon
07-14-2009, 08:48 AM
In a free society, roads would be MUCH safer, as no road owner in their right mind would want to be known for having dangerous roads.

The market would likely provide roads for everyone. 25 MPH roads for pussies and the elderly. And roads with no speed limits for impatient crazy people like me.

Anyway, I always drive slow in residential areas. I don't want to scare any parents. But on highways I'll drive as fast as I can get away with. If I know there is as area where I can do 90 safely, even though the speed limit is 65, I'll do it. I tend to use my own judgment instead of the state's. Only ever got 1 speeding ticket, and that was in Jersey on the AC expressway.

Anti Federalist
07-14-2009, 08:49 AM
Stupid and arbitrary. like so many laws.

but I observe them sometimes, because I don't like fines.

Fixed it, for my reply.;)

misterx
07-14-2009, 08:51 AM
It's just another way of taxing people, and it disproportionately affects low income people. A rich person doesn't give two shits about getting a speeding ticket. Personally, I ignore them and drive at whatever speed is safe, which is usually much higher than the posted limit if you're even a halfway skilled driver. You don't have the right to make me drive slow just because YOUR reflexes suck.

Anti Federalist
07-14-2009, 08:51 AM
The market would likely provide roads for everyone. 25 MPH roads for pussies and the elderly. And roads with no speed limits for impatient crazy people like me.

PJ O'Rourke once observed, while commenting on the 55mph national speed limit:

"55 mph is the speed at which a spirited person parallel parks, not drives down a major interstate."

Kraig
07-14-2009, 08:52 AM
Seat belt laws - "Click it or ticket" piss me off no end. However, I think speed limits are reasonable. And I wear seat belts all the time, and would if there were laws or not. It just pisses me off that someone is threatening to fine me if I don't wear the properly approved safety gear.

Oh man, that pisses me off to no end. To add insult to injury, on top of the unjust seat belt laws, they use tax dollars to advertise the seat belt laws on billboards and radio commercials. My girlfriend and I used to debate all the time about the horrors of government, and her views really fundamentally changed after she simply got one of those seat belt tickets. Sometimes people just have to learn the hard way I guess, myself included.

pcosmar
07-14-2009, 08:58 AM
Fixed it, for my reply.;)

Shhh ! ;)

I have driven at speed, at times. I am capable of high speed driving, though I seldom do anymore.

I find that most drivers are stupid/poor drivers. Setting arbitrary speed limits does not make them any safer.
I know several that are dangerous at 20 mph.
Good drivers are in control of their vehicle at any speed and adjust to fit the road conditions/hazards. They don't need a law to tell them to.

brandon
07-14-2009, 09:01 AM
Good drivers are in control of their vehicle at any speed and adjust to fit the road conditions/hazards. They don't need a law to tell them to.

Yep, this just about sums it up.

Often times a posted speed limit is really too fast to be driving in the nighttime when it is raining heavily. And it is often way too slow in good conditions during the day. People should be able to make their own judgments instead of some arbitrary number enforced on everyone.

Mrs.Joe
07-14-2009, 09:01 AM
I agree that the click it or ticket fines are bull, I wear my seat belt but it shouldnt be a law.

roho76
07-14-2009, 09:06 AM
Yes, if you are going 55 in a residential neighborhood, it is reckless driving, and can kill someone..a child crossing the street for instance. The child just wants to play, and his ball is across the street, he looks both ways, does not see a car, and bam! It is not the child or parent's fault since the driver came out of nowhere and they could not see the car coming.

Once, my car was parked legally in a residential neighborhood, and was completely totalled beyond what a car even looks like by someone going about 60 miles per hour. If I was in the car, or walking close to my car I would have been killed. The criminal's car was somehow able to still flee the scene. He should be in jail.

You just described my "first car" experience. I was in high school and just got my car the day before. It was 2 or 3 in the morning and I was smoking the reef out my window while looking at my car, thinking about driving it to school the next day. Man I was so excited. Then I seen this guy fly down the road doing 50 in my sub and smashes right into the back of it. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Plus I was baked. I ran down stairs screaming "someone hit my car, someone hit my car". Then I ran outside in my underwear boots and a winter jacket chasing after him as he fled the seen. I got his plate and while the police were there making the report the guy in his drunken stupor came back to the scene of the crime to see the damage he had done and the police nabbed him.

Germany has no speed limits on the autobaun in most places (at least there not too strict about them). But I think statistically there are less fatalities there and over all just from my time there, I think people are more courteous on the roads.

I'm in the "Traffic tickets are just revenue machines and nothing more" camp. Especially when you get passed by a cop on the highway when I am already going a little over. I don't think he has some extraordinary powers that make him a better driver than myself. Their just hypocrites who want to control. Do as I say not as I do. And that is basically my thoughts on government period. The ones making and enforcing the laws are the ones who usually tend to brake the laws. Wasn't there some video recently with the guy chasing down the cop for speeding. I know the guy was an idiot but CIP.

ChaosControl
07-14-2009, 09:08 AM
I'm okay with them if they are reasonable, but I think most are too low.
What I have a problem with is "speed traps".

Paying taxes for some cop to sit on his ass waiting to catch a speeder is absolute b.s.
Now if they are doing something legit and some guy is driving 50% over the speed limit, I have no problem with them pulling the guy over there.

Kraig
07-14-2009, 09:09 AM
Germany has no speed limits on the autobaun in most places (at least there not too strict about them). But I think statistically there are less fatalities there and over all just from my time there, I think people are more courteous on the roads.

I'm in the "Traffic tickets are just revenue machines and nothing more" camp. Especially when you get passed by a cop on the highway when I am already going a little over. I don't think he has some extraordinary powers that make him a better driver than myself. Their just hypocrites who want to control. Do as I say not as I do. And that is basically my thoughts on government period. The ones making and enforcing the laws are the ones who usually tend to brake the laws. Wasn't there some video recently with the guy chasing down the cop for speeding. I know the guy was an idiot but CIP.

I saw a documentary about that quite awhile ago basically talking about how Germans use a car for a car and take driving more seriously while many Americans use it as an extension of their living room.