PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul's Youth

Asher
07-13-2009, 03:31 PM
Why does it seem like he has a strong youth following?

Kludge
07-13-2009, 03:43 PM
Less to lose and more to gain in freedom for the young than the old. The old understandably want security for all the property they've earned. The young want more potential to earn.

brandon
07-13-2009, 03:47 PM
Young people are more open to new non-conventional ideas whereas older people are more set in their ways and ready to accept the status-quo. Understandably, it's hard to admit you have been wrong for the last 40 years.

Expatriate
07-13-2009, 03:50 PM
Because young people generally use the internet to get information much more than older people.

The internet is where most of Ron Paul's media can be found, since you usually won't find it on the TV or the radio. Perhaps because you don't have to get permission from the federal government to have a "channel" or website on the internet, unlike radio and TV.

Also, many young people are looking for an ideology, and aren't set in their ways yet.

By the way, when I saw this thread title, I thought you were going to draw some kind of comparison to the Hitler Youth. Probably could have picked a better title. ;)

Original_Intent
07-13-2009, 03:50 PM
Dang, I thought this was going to be a post about Ron Paul when HE was young...

gls
07-13-2009, 03:59 PM
I believe Young Americans for Liberty - http://www.yaliberty.org - is probably more important than the Campaign for Liberty because everything we do today is for naught if we're just going to cede the next generation to the big government types. Unfortunately we're already way behind on this due to the constant stream of propaganda public school attendees are exposed to from an early age.

heavenlyboy34
07-13-2009, 10:45 PM

Youths are the ones getting screwed the worst by the Establishment-they thus seek an alternative. (JMHO)

Pauls' Revere
07-15-2009, 12:56 AM

now that's funny

:D

evilfunnystuff
07-15-2009, 01:09 AM

me too lol

axiomata
07-15-2009, 03:22 AM
Ron Paul's Youth ... like Hitler's Youth?

Kludge
07-15-2009, 03:25 AM

*ahem*

We're called Freedom Fighters. We don't want to be associated with Hitler! :eek:

Expatriate
07-16-2009, 03:06 PM
Why is this in "Ron Paul on the Issues" anyways?

Captain Bryan
07-16-2009, 09:56 PM
Ditto.
Something that I've always wondered.

axiomata
07-16-2009, 11:17 PM
Here's some info about his college days: http://www.crossandcrescent.com/2007/11/ron-pauls-presidential-bid/

I've seen snippets of his even more youthful days at other places but don't remember the link.

Imperial
07-16-2009, 11:30 PM

That's what I thought of!

Enforcing liberty! That's not contradictory at all...,

Oyate
07-17-2009, 06:08 AM

He doesn't seem to, he does. Some very good answers to the questions here. I can only add that young people today know the system is corrupted from top to bottom, everybody lies, nobody cares. They know this from an early age now. The sound of truth rings particularly sweet to some of these. Like water in a desert.

dr. hfn
07-17-2009, 07:59 AM
Freedom in all things!

pacelli
07-17-2009, 08:28 AM

Obviously not as strong as Obama, heck you raised over $13,000 for Obama's presidential campaign. How much did you raise for Ron Paul's?

Asher
07-17-2009, 01:57 PM
Not a penny because I could not find a way to do so.

anaconda
07-17-2009, 02:08 PM
I thought this was going to be a post about how youthful Ron Paul is. Like one of those ads that lists "calendar age" vs. "biological age."

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9d/Ron_Paul%2C_official_Congressional_photo_portrait% 2C_2007.jpg/220px-Ron_Paul%2C_official_Congressional_photo_portrait% 2C_2007.jpg
Calendar Age: 73
Biological Age: 51

Barney
07-17-2009, 03:26 PM
I have a theory.

For the most part, I don't believe young people are attracted to RP's ideas because they feel they are getting screwed.

Younger people are less jaded and generally more selfless. Hence the saying "If you're not a liberal when you're young you have no heart, if you're not a conservative when you're old you have no brain".

I think the youth who flock to the freedom message believe that individual liberty and free markets is the path to a "better" society. Much like the Che Guevera types who believe that wealth redistribution is the path to a "better" society, not because they personally want a handout but for an ideal.

The older folks, especially those with degrees in finance/economics (the hard wire Keynesians) will look at you like an Ogre if you try offering a different view on the Fed and inflation.

Nirvikalpa
07-17-2009, 05:14 PM
Freedom is popular?

Kludge
07-17-2009, 05:44 PM
Freedom is popular?

Nope.

Athan
07-17-2009, 09:32 PM
Answer: We are fucked and we know it.
We want to hear the truth and Ron Paul is the only one telling it.
Everyone else is a lying piece of shit.

anaconda
07-18-2009, 01:05 PM
The Ron Paul platform is the most counter-cultural right now as well. Counter culture is often appealing to young, hip people. In the sixties the anti-establishment embrace something like communism, but they did not have the political understanding of the youth today. What the hippies should have been was anti-corporatism/anti-big government/anti-Federal Reserve. They did, however, get it right on the anti-war platform.