PDA

View Full Version : how ron should answer the "out of touch with republicans" question

chandlerLBT
06-03-2007, 03:25 PM
in the last two debates, ron paul has been criticized for his difference in his views with iraq and other issues versus the other candidates. he has stated that 70% of the american people back him on leaving iraq, and i think that's all well and good, but i think he needs to go into further depth with this.

when asked a question on how republican he is, paul should ask who among the candidates running for the primaries could actually beat a democrat. obviously most of that 70% are democrat or third-party, and will vote against any republican wanting to stay in iraq. but he needs to inform the republican audience that he will get many of the democrat AND third-party votes if he makes it to the primaries. no other republican would be able to do that.

he needs to state that he is the only republican hopeful that will be able to get the presidential seat against a democrat. this needs to be done in a debate with the entire republican audience to hear. i think it's an excellent point that needs to come right from ron paul's mouth- not just his supporters- and will make for an excellent sound bite.

retrorepublican
06-03-2007, 04:34 PM
Ronald Reagan once said:

If you analyze it I believe the very heart and soul of conservatism is libertarianism. I think conservatism is really a misnomer just as liberalism is a misnomer for the liberals–if we were back in the days of the Revolution, so-called conservatives today would be the Liberals and the liberals would be the Tories. The basis of conservatism is a desire for less government interference or less centralized authority or more individual freedom and this is a pretty general description also of what libertarianism is.

http://www.reason.com/news/show/29318.html

I'll be featuring the entire interview in my blog over the next week.