PDA

View Full Version : 5-4 rulings

LibForestPaul
07-12-2009, 02:35 PM
Do you believe 5-4 rulings are contrived?
Do you believe that the Justices sitting on the bench handing down these rulings already have decided how they will rule before hearing a case?
Do you believe they are willing participates in the sham? i.e. They have been instructed how they should rule? That the cases coming before them have been set-up to further certain political agendas (elections, pending legislation, pac funding)?

i.e. Is there a true divide between the Justices, or are they simply playing their role, knowingly or not?

LibForestPaul
07-12-2009, 02:37 PM
I do believe that these cases and rulings are not coming about through happenstance. I do believe that certain members mights already have rulings set before a case is presented and are just finding legal precedent to justify their beliefs. I believe all but one or two are playing their roles unwittingly.

Zippyjuan
07-12-2009, 02:41 PM
Cases usually go to the Supreme Court because there was no clear winner one way or the other. Like people in general, the Supreme Court often do not agree with each other so 5-4 splits should not be considered uncommon or unusual. Most of the judges are pretty consistant in the way they tend to rule on certain types of cases. If you do not agree with a ruling you may consider it that they may have conspired against you, but if they rule in your favor are they equally conspiring? Both sides in a case usually have an agenda. Which side is consistantly being favored by their rulings?

slothman
07-12-2009, 03:35 PM
I read in the internet, so it must be true, that often the judges vote differently that the president they were appointed from.

I do think that the requirement should be 6/3 instead of 5/4 to overturn a lower verduct.