PDA

View Full Version : Cheney kept CIA program secret from Congress, source says

Reason
07-12-2009, 01:09 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/07/11/cheney.surveillance/

Reason
07-12-2009, 07:50 PM
also

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=106514114&sc=nl&cc=nh-20090712

erowe1
07-12-2009, 07:54 PM
One thing about this story that strikes me as strange is that Cheney even had the authority to give orders to CIA agents. Where does the VP fit in the chain of command?

dgr
07-12-2009, 09:53 PM
In the book "Angler" the author has pages of footnotes to back up his sources.
In it he says Cheney wet behind Bush and claimed the White House had approved numerous things detailed in the book. At one point the representative of theentire Justice Dept and George Tennett went to the White House to resign , and Bush had no idea what they were talking about. Tennet is also quoted as telling them that If they did what they wanted to do
""we will all wind up in jail" and thats just in one page of the book.
He also quotes the former speaker of the house as saying Cheney lied and misled the congress on Iraq

Reason
07-12-2009, 09:55 PM
YouTube - Members Of Congress Angry About Being Kept In The Dark About CIA Secret Program (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYgqe4jXAw4)

Reason
07-12-2009, 10:03 PM
YouTube - Cheney Ordered The CIA Not To Inform Congress On Secret Program (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPFCuksTMvU)

pacelli
07-13-2009, 06:22 AM
There's a fucking surprise... not.

dantheman
07-13-2009, 07:20 AM
I'm glad the Founding Fathers knew to give powers to the VP like heading a secret organization that isn't accountable to anyone, overthrows governments around the world, and has been responsible for transporting illegal narcotics into our country even though they're supposed to be the ones fighting those that make the drugs. The Constitution is clear on this one.

tangent4ronpaul
07-13-2009, 07:23 AM
This morning they are saying that it was a program to kidnap and assassinate members of AQ. Please recall the last 8 years, as both have happened and been publicized in the MSM - so that is clearly a lie.

So what was it really?

-t

Dark_Horse_Rider
07-13-2009, 07:39 AM
This morning they are saying that it was a program to kidnap and assassinate members of AQ. Please recall the last 8 years, as both have happened and been publicized in the MSM - so that is clearly a lie.

So what was it really?

-t

Ahh, the powers of observation.

erowe1
07-13-2009, 08:47 AM
In the book "Angler" the author has pages of footnotes to back up his sources.
In it he says Cheney wet behind Bush and claimed the White House had approved numerous things detailed in the book. At one point the representative of theentire Justice Dept and George Tennett went to the White House to resign , and Bush had no idea what they were talking about. Tennet is also quoted as telling them that If they did what they wanted to do
""we will all wind up in jail" and thats just in one page of the book.
He also quotes the former speaker of the house as saying Cheney lied and misled the congress on Iraq

OK. I admit I haven't read that book or anything else that gives me any reason to think I know more of what I'm talking about than anyone else. But that story still doesn't add up. If the story happened the way you just said, and Cheney lied about Bush authorizing things he didn't, and Bush knew nothing of what Cheney was doing until after the fact, then why didn't he ask Cheney to resign? Bush either had to have authorized Cheney to act on his behalf beforehand, or else he decided he was ok with it afterward. Either way, the buck still stops with him. Also, if you're a federal agent and you're given an order from someone who has no authority over you, such as the VP, and it's an out-of-the-ordinary order that you know could get you in trouble later, would you just follow it or would you make sure that someone above you in the chain of command (which, if you're Tennett, is the President himself, or maybe the AG) is really ordering you to do it before you take it seriously enough to either obey it or resign over it?

Aratus
07-13-2009, 10:30 AM
One thing about this story that strikes me as strange
is that Cheney even had the authority to give orders to CIA agents.
Where does the VP fit in the chain of command?

john adams had assumed his powers
had a stretch and a reach when he was
george washington's veep. in the year 1800
there was an intense election. upshot of same...
thomas jefferson did not trust at all veep aaron burr!
here we are more than 200 years later and we all
see veep cheney creating his own lil' equivilency
of the IKE era CIA. twas the huston plan on
steroids & then some. i shake my head...

Reason
07-23-2009, 11:50 AM
bump