PDA

View Full Version : Who is the Prime Minister of your state?

10thAmendment
07-11-2009, 03:05 PM
Consider the following problem for those who are uninitiated concerning state sovereignty. Regardless that Obama has much less power under the Constitution than kings or prime ministers, every time people see Obama on the same TV screen with a prime minister they are brainwashed to think that Obama's powers are basically equivalent to a prime minister's powers. Again, this is far from true under the Constitution. State governors have much more constitutional power to serve the people than the Oval Office does, particularly where domestic issues are concerned.

With that in mind, I propose the following. I propose that the states make legislation which would make it legal for their governors to optionally be addressed, both orally and in writing, as prime minister, PM for short. I believe that doing so would be a simple way to educate people about state sovereignty, helping to restore it.

VIDEODROME
07-11-2009, 06:31 PM
I'll call my governor Ma'am.

Zippyjuan
07-11-2009, 10:21 PM
Actually when they see a US president with a Prime Minister on TV in the US, most people (well, at least those who think about such things- many don't care either way) think that the Prime Minister has the same powers as our President since that is their perspective on political powers of leaders of countries.

james1906
07-11-2009, 10:32 PM
Prime Minister Goodhair doesn't have the same kick.

Warrior_of_Freedom
07-11-2009, 11:27 PM
my governor is a crook

cindy25
07-11-2009, 11:41 PM
only heads of sovereign governments are prime ministers; heads of state/provincial governments are called premiers (Canada, Australia)

Reason
07-11-2009, 11:44 PM
only heads of sovereign governments are prime ministers; heads of state/provincial governments are called premiers (Canada, Australia)

op just got pwned.

10thAmendment
07-12-2009, 02:04 AM
Actually when they see a US president with a Prime Minister on TV in the US, most people (well, at least those who think about such things- many don't care either way) think that the Prime Minister has the same powers as our President since that is their perspective on political powers of leaders of countries.
That's a good point! Widespread ignorance of the Founder's division of federal and state powers has been global since the Constitution, and later the BoR, were ratified. In fact, Thomas Jefferson had noted, long before TV was invented, that it was his impression that foreigners wrongly regarded the states as being subordinte to the federal government.

"With respect to our State and federal governments, I do not think their relations correctly understood by foreigners. They generally suppose the former subordinate to the latter. But this is not the case. They are co-ordinate departments of one simple and integral whole." --Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:47

10thAmendment
07-12-2009, 02:14 AM
Good point!

But you seem to be rejecting the idea that the Founders made the 10th A. to officially reserve the lion's share of government power to serve the people to the states, not the Oval Office and Congress. So while the prime ministers of the US states don't have quite as much power as the heads of sovereign governments, US state prime ministers are not Commander-in-Chief of the US Armed Forces for example, it remains that they have much more constitutional authority to serve the citizens of their respective states than the president does, particularly where domestic issues are concerned.

10thAmendment
07-12-2009, 02:23 AM
op just got pwned.

Oops! That's my mistake. I thought I was in the Ron Paul forums.