PDA

View Full Version : Why isn't this quote from Dr. Paul's writings better known?

Ebuchholz
09-24-2007, 09:39 PM
"The gun control debate generally ignores the historical and philosophical underpinnings of the Second amendment. The Second amendment is not about hunting deer or keeping a pistol in your nightstand. It is not about protecting oneself against common criminals. It is about preventing tyranny. The Founders knew that unarmed citizens would never be able to overthrow a tyrannical government as they did. They envisioned government as a servant, not a master, of the American people. The muskets they used against the British Army were the assault rifles of that time. It is practical, rather than alarmist, to understand that unarmed citizens cannot be secure in their freedoms."

He's the only one with the balls to say it.

Thunderbolt
09-24-2007, 09:41 PM

Ebuchholz
09-24-2007, 09:42 PM
Source, btw: http://www.sierratimes.com/06/11/07/Paul.htm

randolphus maximus
09-24-2007, 09:45 PM
It would be interesting to see if some of the "top tier" candidates were asked "What is the purpose of the 2nd Amendment?" What their response would be.

How many would give the correct answer as Dr. Paul?

Ebuchholz
09-24-2007, 09:48 PM
It would be interesting to see if some of the "top tier" candidates were asked "What is the purpose of the 2nd Amendment?" What their response would be.

How many would give the correct answer as Dr. Paul?

Mitt has said that he supports the second amendment as he "hunts varmints".

"Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney is taking a second shot at describing his hunting experience.

The former Massachusetts governor has called himself a lifelong hunter, yet his campaign acknowledged that he has been on just two hunting trips _ one when he was 15 and the other just last year.

Campaigning in Indianapolis on Thursday, Romney said he has hunted small game since his youth.

"I'm not a big-game hunter. I've made that very clear," he said. "I've always been a rodent and rabbit hunter. Small varmints, if you will. I began when I was 15 or so and I have hunted those kinds of varmints since then. More than two times."

Ridiculous
09-24-2007, 09:48 PM
I'm sure that there are plenty of gun owner boards. Does anyone know of any. We should try posting there.

jmunjr
09-24-2007, 09:57 PM
That's awesome.

Today I actually told another blog of sorts basically the same thing on a topic of surveillance and how allowing it uncontrolled is a very dangerous proposition because once(if) a government is overthrown and becomes tyrannical the surveillance system in itself becomes a deadly weapon against the populous and worse the historical data even more so...

I referenced the 2nd amendment and explained that our right to hunt was inherent and need not be in writing but our right to bear arms was specifically designed to stop tyranny, and surveillance is empowering the government with nothing going to the people to counter it.

"The gun control debate generally ignores the historical and philosophical underpinnings of the Second amendment. The Second amendment is not about hunting deer or keeping a pistol in your nightstand. It is not about protecting oneself against common criminals. It is about preventing tyranny. The Founders knew that unarmed citizens would never be able to overthrow a tyrannical government as they did. They envisioned government as a servant, not a master, of the American people. The muskets they used against the British Army were the assault rifles of that time. It is practical, rather than alarmist, to understand that unarmed citizens cannot be secure in their freedoms."

bbachtung
09-24-2007, 10:20 PM
That is my favorite Ron Paul 2nd Amendment quote; you can read the whole article at the Library:

http://www.ronpaullibrary.org/document.php?id=301

It is from his Texas Straight Talk column for April 21, 2003.

Salamando
09-24-2007, 10:22 PM

It has nothing to do with balls, hes the only one that is educated on the subject.

Ron Paul Fan
09-24-2007, 10:26 PM
What about Mike Huckabee? He supports the 2nd amendment so he can hunt ducks here on Earth and up in Heaven. Can't go wrong with that. Ron Paul!

hard@work
09-24-2007, 10:27 PM
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." –Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers

Prophetic in their own ways. But really, just good students of history. They knew what had happened before with government and knew what would happen again. That's why they also gave us a means for peaceful "revolution". It was also intended that we overthrow our government through election when we were fed up. That every generation or so would completely redo the system.

Welcome to the Revolution.

;-)

brumans
09-24-2007, 10:33 PM

Imagine if Dr. Paul said this word-for-word at the debate with a question regarding the 2nd amendment!

LibertyEagle
09-24-2007, 10:53 PM
If we are not aggressively hitting each and every gun show from now through the primaries, we are making a huge mistake. Each of one the attendees at these shows should be a very easy sell for Ron Paul. He has by far the best record on the 2nd amendment of all the candidates.