PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul Campaign not responding to news people inviting him on? Whats up with this?

G-khan
09-24-2007, 06:50 PM
Here is a thread from my site... anyone know what is up with this?

__________________________________________________ ______________

We were listening to Bruce DuMont on Beyond the Beltway last night on WLS AM radio as we drove home from dinner in NW Indiana. A Chicago caller complained about the lack of coverage Ron Paul received from the MSM even though Ron had appeared in Chicago this past Saturday. The talk show host claimed that Ron had received numerous invitations to be on their show for a full hour with nation-wide exposure but that his campaign managers had neglected to return calls to avail themselves of the opportunity. Bruce DuMont says that Ron's campaign doesn't respond to media requests and that if Ron Paul fails to receive his party's nomination this might be part of the reason.

That's not the sort of thing I appreciate hearing after I have donated generously to Ron's campaign. So I sent an email to his campaign headquarters asking them for their version of the story. They really haven't had adequate time to respond; but I am just curious. Can any of you think of any good or valid reason why Ron Paul wouldn't want to be a guest on Beyond the Beltway? Is there any good reason why his campaign managers would refuse to return calls to Bruce DuMont? Could DuMont be lying? What do you think?

http://goldismoney.info/forums/showthread.php?t=180802

hard@work
09-24-2007, 06:54 PM
Almost the exact same thing happened with a local talk station in my town. They have had a bunch of callers asking for Paul, and the host said they have invited him, with no response. I sent an email to his Communications director, and I got no response from him either.

Says it all. There's obviously a ton of buzz going, I bet he's having trouble arranging anything right now.

G-khan
09-24-2007, 07:00 PM
Says it all. There's obviously a ton of buzz going, I bet he's having trouble arranging anything right now.

They need to at least respond out of courtesy?

speciallyblend
09-24-2007, 07:52 PM
I called Jesse Benton and left a message and my number 2 times,i have a reporter wanting to do a story.i put a request for someone to respond from the campaign.We will see when they respond or if they do?? I'm gonna give at least 2 days and call again,If i havent heard from them. makes me wonder??

hard@work
09-24-2007, 08:07 PM
They need to at least respond out of courtesy?

Yes, so hopefully it is because of the sheer volume of requests.

;-)

But keep looking into it!

Corydoras
09-24-2007, 08:07 PM
Thanks for describing this.
This Is Not Good News.

0zzy
09-24-2007, 08:16 PM
I cry
cry
cry
:,[

JosephTheLibertarian
09-24-2007, 08:28 PM
Where is Ron Paul anyway? There should be some kind of "Ron Paul tracker"

katao
09-24-2007, 08:29 PM

That would be cool!

yaz
09-24-2007, 08:30 PM
lol. only if volunteered :P

hard@work
09-24-2007, 08:36 PM
Ron Paul GPS with the hatcam !!

Shatterhand
09-24-2007, 08:48 PM
Well, anybody with any more information? I thought a similiar thing happened in Iowa a couple of months ago with a reporter doing a story on Ron Paul. What's going on over there?

BizmanUSA
09-24-2007, 09:27 PM
I am sure that Ron Paul is doing his VERY Best to take interviews and TV/Radio shows whenever he can.

RP is a hustling man that is traveling probably more places than any 2 other Repub candidates combined.

Just remember there are only so many hours in a day and traveling from/to/from/to etc. takes up sooo much time and also that one little thing - He is only One Person!

Ron PAul can only do one show or interview at a time and probably can easily line up one show/interview/rally every other hour from now until he takes the oath of office.

Sure the campaign can arrange phone in remotes but timing is everything and it is way easier said than done. .

When was the last time you had a truely clear solid cell signal without dropouts while moving about? It is hard enough arranging a high quality land line without interuptions. Nobody wants to hear RP sound like Donald Duck. :eek:

GIve the guy a break - OK Break is over - Seriously I know that RP and the campaign staff are trying to be everywhere all the time.

So who wants to be first in line to hear "Sorry Ron Paul can't . . . "

RP treats all with total respect and allows as much time as possible.

It's a long road to Pennsylvania Ave. so we all must pitch-in in every way we can and support, support and oh ya -Support Ron Paul - there is Hope for America!

BizmanUSA

john_anderson_ii
09-24-2007, 09:37 PM

Are you saying someone should put a frickin' bell on him? </pinkyonmouth>

JosephTheLibertarian
09-24-2007, 09:39 PM
Are you saying someone should put a frickin' bell on him? </pinkyonmouth>

sure lol. I always wonder where he's located

Corydoras
09-24-2007, 09:51 PM
So who wants to be first in line to hear "Sorry Ron Paul can't . . . "

Who? Any journalist, editor, or programming director who wants to know the amount of time and column inches to reserve on a particular day.

The least they deserve is a courtesy call saying they're on a callback list with the explicit understanding that there is no promise of access.

theseus51
09-24-2007, 09:54 PM
Ah, the irony of his supporters wanting to put a tracking device on Ron Paul.

G-khan
09-24-2007, 10:02 PM
Who? Any journalist, editor, or programming director who wants to know the amount of time and column inches to reserve on a particular day.

The least they deserve is a courtesy call saying they're on a callback list with the explicit understanding that there is no promise of access.

I agree there needs to be a staff assigned to this task. Not returning calls to people who invite you to air time is bad and they may not ask again if they are mad. I mean live air time is worth many of thousands of dollars and someone should be paid to handle this and make sure it goes smoothly.

How much is a 1/2 hr on TV worth? How many donations will be lost from the new supporters that would come from his being on?

G-khan
09-24-2007, 10:04 PM

Yes install a tracking chip in Ron Paul.. I would not want to be the one to try and do it...

hard@work
09-24-2007, 10:12 PM
Hey! Hey! Hey now! I don't think we need to RFID our man now do we? We simply need to get a small man roughly 5'2 in a baseball cap, PDA to report back to us here, and with a moustache and a little video camera to be within 50 yards of him at all times. He should also be wearing very dark sunglasses. Yes, even at night.

Then and only then will the Ron Paul forum community be partially content kinda.

RP4ME
09-24-2007, 11:46 PM
sure lol. I always wonder where he's located

Chip him

LinuxUser269
09-25-2007, 12:00 AM
I did not look through the blog ..But ron is busy he cant possably meet everyone. I was fortunate to see him in Florida at the Values Voters Debate .
I feel that this debate might of been a way to district people or pull candidates from what they were doing . If you do not remember the youtube debate was set for this date.

G-khan
09-25-2007, 12:02 AM
Chip him

I would love to video you trying chip RP..

Now that would be good youtube... LOL

V-rod
09-25-2007, 04:35 AM
I hope Ron gets on more tv shows.

Richandler
09-25-2007, 04:50 AM
Ron's out there making fat cash. That is what is important. He wants to stun the media and show them translation of suppport. Ron is actually campaigning rather than going on TV everytime Hillary laughs to loud.

Man from La Mancha
09-25-2007, 05:00 AM
Would people be satisfied with interviewing his wife or children. Would that help in spreading him around?

constituent
09-25-2007, 05:14 AM
Would people be satisfied with interviewing his wife or children. Would that help in spreading him around?

i almost think that'd be better... ron the intellectual can be a little heavy
for some. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Chester Copperpot
09-25-2007, 05:46 AM

yeah lets implant a verichip inro Ron Paul so we can track him! ;)

expatriot
09-25-2007, 05:54 AM
Chipping Ron Paul is a disgusting idea,

But maybe we could at least get him cloned.

constituent
09-25-2007, 06:21 AM
Chipping Ron Paul is a disgusting idea,

But maybe we could at least get him cloned.

that's more like it.

:D :D :D

BizmanUSA
09-25-2007, 06:27 AM

As polite and respectful as Ron Paul is you bring up a valid point. I would be hard pressed to believe that RP does not have someone to call back, apologize and log the missed opportunities.

Hopefully this has been addressed and is under control.

Even the MSM needs a response. :rolleyes:

BizmanUSA

klamath
09-25-2007, 07:32 AM
For the people that say he should have staff answering all these calls, how many of you have donated the max amount? It seems like RP is going to get about the same amount of money this quarter as last, which is nowhere near enough to hire all the staff to answer all the calls and coordinate everything. It would probably take about 10 or 15 paid staff to handle all the calls coming in. Every two bit newpaper, magazine, radio, tv, and any other station would like to say they had a presidential candidate on.

LibertyEagle
09-25-2007, 07:59 AM
Agreed, but he does have Jesse Benton. I've been a little surprised actually that there haven't been any interviews scheduled for a couple of weeks. At least they haven't shown up on his web page.

If this is due to lack of staff, then they need to hire an assistant for Jesse. I don't see how missing good media coverage is a smart way to save money.

ghemminger
09-25-2007, 08:02 AM
THIS IS GOOD NEWS - whoa....he's gaining celb status now???

nexalacer
09-25-2007, 08:11 AM
Keep in mind, he's still doing his JOB as a representative in the House while campaigning. He would likely not make all of these appointments anyhow. But, they should get some better system of returning calls. That's pretty amateurish.

m4ff3w
09-25-2007, 08:16 AM

I doubt he would really object, I believe he would only object if the Federal Government were to put a tracking device on him.

There is a big difference between doing something for self gain and the government doing it to you for THEIR gain.

merlin
10-09-2007, 06:03 PM
I finally received the following email:

"Merlin,

Thank you for the email. They canceled on us 2 months ago, the day of the interview: Sunday, a particularly difficult day to schedule for Ron.

So past claims that we haven't responded are not accurate. We're still in touch with Beyond the Beltway and are working on something for the future.

Thank you for your support!

Sincerely,
Andrew
Ron Paul 2008"

AZJV
10-09-2007, 08:45 PM
Glenn Beck today on his radio show was ranting about Ron Paul. He truly does not like Ron. He stated that he likes alot of what Paul stands for but he doesn't like the man.
Beck also claimed that Ron cancelled out of an interview at the last second and left Beck holding the bag and trying to fill the time slot for the nationaly televised show. He claimed Ron backed out at last second in order to do interview with Wolf Blitzer in the same building. Beck is a very bitter man and will do just about anything to sabotage Ron's campaign. He says Ron has no integrity and he can't believe that the Libertarian party can't come up with someone better than Ron.

If Ron actually did cancel like Beck said he made a big mistake.

Beck claimed that they have tried to get Ron Scheduled for a 1 hour national show and the campaign won't even return their calls.

Today Beck said he is "done" with Ron Paul. Wants nothing more to do with him.

Something doesn't seem right here. I hope the campaign gets its act together. It seems like they keep shooting themselves in the foot. They have enough money to hire the right people in key places. If they don't spend it now, they might as well give it to charity because Ron won't be in the running at the end.

Matt Collins
10-09-2007, 08:59 PM
I am sure that Ron Paul is doing his VERY Best to take interviews and TV/Radio shows whenever he can.

I don' think Ron is the problem, I think Jesse is the problem. That and the fact that Jesse is a one-man show and doesn't have an assistant.

When was the last time you had a truely clear solid cell signal without dropouts while moving about? It is hard enough arranging a high quality land line without interuptions. Nobody wants to hear RP sound like Donald Duck. :eek: I work for a major talk radio station. On our morning show, we have State Reps and Senators that call in often on their way in to work when they hear something they would like to comment about. We take calls on cell phones all the time. Last week Ron did a 15 minutes interview with Phil Valentine (he originates from our station) entirely from a cell phone.

Matt Collins
10-09-2007, 09:03 PM
I would be hard pressed to believe that RP does not have someone to call back, apologize and log the missed opportunities. I had an opportunity to get Ron on 50 stations at once last week with the Phil Valentine show. They canceled at the last minute and I had to YELL and SCREAM at the people at HQ in order to get them to put the interview back into place. Phil Valentine was pissed at this until I got them to finally promise Ron would call in via his cell. I hate having to yell and scream at people, getting ugly isn't good, but in this case that's what it took and the result was 15 minutes of Ron on the air over 50+ stations in Middle America.

I had an opportunity the following day for a single morning show in Nashville, and Jesse never got back with me or the producer to tell me "no" and when I pressed him for an answer he got rude with me. That is NOT the way to treat the media.

They need to figure something out about this because it is a REAL problem.

Matt Collins
10-09-2007, 09:04 PM
If Ron actually did cancel like Beck said he made a big mistake.
It wouldn't surprise me in the least if that really happened. Jesse is the man responsible, but to be fair to him, he is overworked without an assistant, AND, last week he got over 178 requests for print media interviews.

JS4Pat
10-09-2007, 09:58 PM
Yes, so hopefully it is because of the sheer volume of requests.
That is no excuse for not responding to media requests.

It sounds like the campaign needs to take some of the $5.3 million collected in Q3 and hire enough staff to at least respond to media requests!

This is really upsetting to someone working out here at the grassroots level.

Corydoras
10-09-2007, 11:12 PM
I admit that RP is going for the big names in journalism, but I also think HQ staff are not telling RP that there is a problem. I know this because I told RP himself about the problem at a very small, quiet event, and he sounded genuinely surprised that the media are not getting callbacks to at least say no can do. I figured there were enough starstruck supporters talking to him across the country that for once someone could say something critical, so in the minutes I had I did it as nicely but clearly as I could. Sounds like things are not happening. I am NOT happy about this.

Matt Collins
10-10-2007, 01:46 PM
I am NOT happy about this.Yes, it is frusterating.

kylejack
10-10-2007, 01:52 PM
This is not good to hear...I had hoped they were on top of this stuff with all the new blood.

steph3n
10-10-2007, 02:08 PM
They are responding, check the ronpaul2008.com it has new media events listed as they are confirmed.

Pauliana
10-10-2007, 02:44 PM
Yes, he can't be everywhere at once, and he does have a FULL TIME JOB.

OptionsTrader
10-10-2007, 02:46 PM
Ron Paul Campaign not responding to news people inviting him on? Whats up with this?

This is some odd shit to complain about.

His popularity is overwhelming the campaign and this is spun by you as negative?

It is great.

Matt Collins
10-10-2007, 02:59 PM

His popularity is overwhelming the campaign and this is spun by you as negative?Yes, it pisses off and infuriates the media. That's a BAD thing. Not to mention the obvious fact that it doesn't get the message out there as much as possible.

Alabama Supporter
10-10-2007, 03:01 PM

His popularity is overwhelming the campaign and this is spun by you as negative?

It is great.

This is a VERY serious problem.

Much of the media is already openly hostile towards RP, so we don't need to give them more ammo.

The media team is the absolute MOST important position in a presidential campaign specifically because of the reliance on the media to get the message out there.

Do you think the Romney campaign fails to follow up? I doubt it. It is time to step up the professionalism. We are in the big leagues now.

JS4Pat
10-10-2007, 07:09 PM

Much of the media is already openly hostile towards RP, so we don't need to give them more ammo.

The media team is the absolute MOST important position in a presidential campaign specifically because of the reliance on the media to get the message out there.

Do you think the Romney campaign fails to follow up? I doubt it. It is time to step up the professionalism. We are in the big leagues now.

Agreed

me3
10-10-2007, 07:41 PM
Surely they could find a volunteer or two to help respond to the requests?

Alabama Supporter
10-10-2007, 07:53 PM

I probably came off as overly critical. I do have faith in the RP team to get this taken care of.

Matt Collins
10-10-2007, 08:56 PM
Surely they could find a volunteer or two to help respond to the requests?You don't want a volunteer dealing with the media. That needs to be someone from the upper tier, the problem is there are not enough people in the upper tier.

BarryDonegan
10-10-2007, 09:00 PM
with all due respect, i bet theres tons of shows who can't get romney, giuliani to return calls who cover their stuff.

this is not a real issue, this is something one particular journalist used to shift the blame for his own journalistic integrity. are you not gonna report certain news items because you can't score an exclusive one on one interview with a person in the article?

this isn't reasonable thinking. if thats what passes for journalism you're better off turning the dial.

i GUARANTEE you it is 10x harder to get an interview with romney or giuliani than it is Paul. think about it? how many interviews even exist for giuliani?

Matt Collins
10-10-2007, 09:11 PM
with all due respect,this is not a real issue, With all due respect, you are wrong. I am a talk radio producer at a major conservative talk station, and TRUST ME it pisses the media off when they don't have access, or worse yet are snubbed at the last minute.

me3
10-10-2007, 10:04 PM
You don't want a volunteer dealing with the media. That needs to be someone from the upper tier, the problem is there are not enough people in the upper tier.
I'm speaking administratively. Someone to respond to first contact, and manage queuing the executive responses. People to track opportunities, and keep the lines open, even if there isn't a possibility to schedule immediately.

Basically simple correspondence and clerical work.

You have to wonder if these guys will still be whining when Paul breaks the top tier and has time to do their shows. That's when the balance of power shifts.

terlinguatx
10-10-2007, 10:26 PM

saahmed
10-11-2007, 01:21 AM
They talk about being such a frugal campaign, but isn't there a point of being too frugal? We are donating money for them to spend in order to win the nomination. There is not point in building it up and having cash on hand. They need to spend money. Hire a few people and open up some offices where people can volunteer for them and do free work. Obama has like 30 something offices in Iowa? He also needs to start doing some TV ads and doing them now. This will increase the number of supporters and give more time for them to spread the word before the caucuses.

OptionsTrader
10-11-2007, 01:30 AM
With all due respect, you are wrong. I am a talk radio producer at a major conservative talk station, and TRUST ME it pisses the media off when they don't have access, or worse yet are snubbed at the last minute.

Truly amazing.

How about focusing on all of the great things the Ron Paul campaign has done in the past few days?

Corydoras
10-11-2007, 01:37 AM
How about focusing on all of the great things the Ron Paul campaign has done in the past few days?

Well, this thread happens to be a long, continuing conversation (see date of first post) about what we see as an ongoing problem. That's all, not negative thinking.

Adamsa
10-11-2007, 02:50 AM
Ron can't be everywhere at once, the man is a workaholic as it is.