PDA

View Full Version : Browns convicted of plotting to kill feds

Razmear
07-09-2009, 02:26 PM
I hadn't really been following this for a while, but saw this story today.
Seems they couldn't get them on the tax evasion so they were convicted of plotting to kill feds, which seems kinda odd cuz they were just holed up in their house and the feds were surrounding them.
Anyways, heres the story and link:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090709/ap_on_re_us/us_tax_evaders_9

CONCORD, N.H. – Tax evaders Ed and Elaine Brown were convicted Thursday on all counts of plotting to kill federal agents during a nine-month standoff at their fort-like home in rural New Hampshire.

The Browns, in their 60s, face a mandatory minimum 30-year prison sentence on one charge alone.

The couple held hands and looked straight ahead as the verdict was read. They refused to stand when the jury and judge left the courtroom.

Lawyers on both sides declined to comment, but the U.S. Marshals Service was expected to hold a news conference.

The Browns holed up in their hilltop home in early 2007 to avoid arrest after being convicted of tax evasion. They amassed an arsenal of high-powered weapons and explosives, including booby-traps in woods surrounding the home.

During the trial, Ed Brown testified that the weapons were for self-defense, saying he believed the government planned to kill him and his wife. The two were arrested in October 2007 without incident.

The verdict came after seven hours of deliberation over two days.

Anti Federalist
07-09-2009, 02:36 PM
Shame I couldn't have been on that jury.

Two more political prisoners in the land of the free.

I hadn't really been following this for a while, but saw this story today.
Seems they couldn't get them on the tax evasion so they were convicted of plotting to kill feds, which seems kinda odd cuz they were just holed up in their house and the feds were surrounding them.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090709/ap_on_re_us/us_tax_evaders_9

CONCORD, N.H. – Tax evaders Ed and Elaine Brown were convicted Thursday on all counts of plotting to kill federal agents during a nine-month standoff at their fort-like home in rural New Hampshire.

The Browns, in their 60s, face a mandatory minimum 30-year prison sentence on one charge alone.

The couple held hands and looked straight ahead as the verdict was read. They refused to stand when the jury and judge left the courtroom.

Lawyers on both sides declined to comment, but the U.S. Marshals Service was expected to hold a news conference.

The Browns holed up in their hilltop home in early 2007 to avoid arrest after being convicted of tax evasion. They amassed an arsenal of high-powered weapons and explosives, including booby-traps in woods surrounding the home.

During the trial, Ed Brown testified that the weapons were for self-defense, saying he believed the government planned to kill him and his wife. The two were arrested in October 2007 without incident.

The verdict came after seven hours of deliberation over two days.

Optatron
07-09-2009, 03:11 PM
what a plot, if they got arrested without incident

bossman068410
07-09-2009, 03:13 PM
Jury nullification was needed.

HOLLYWOOD
07-09-2009, 03:14 PM
ALl they had to mention and show the video of Ruby Ridge to the Jury.

I'm sure there was some legality to that... since the Judicial system is just as corrupt as the 2 other branches. Gesus, when are these Jurors/Americans going to "GET IT"

Indoctrination of government on Society... You figure with a state motto of "LIVE FREE or DIE" there's a lot of ignorance and stupity New Hampshire.

I would like to see the interviews with the jurors afterwards. (be in the public and stated what went on in the jurors room)

Elwar
07-10-2009, 09:34 AM
I was wondering about the Browns and was going to check on what ended up happening. Doesn't the NH Constitution include the right to revolt?

Hmm...why not convict them on tax evasion? Couldn't they find the law?

FunkBuddha
07-10-2009, 09:46 AM
I was wondering about the Browns and was going to check on what ended up happening. Doesn't the NH Constitution include the right to revolt?

Hmm...why not convict them on tax evasion? Couldn't they find the law?

From what I remember, they were convicted of tax evasion. They were "holing up" to keep from going to prison.

disorderlyvision
07-10-2009, 09:51 AM
Fucking BS:mad:

devil21
10-02-2009, 04:42 PM
Elaine Brown was sentenced today to 35 (!!!) years!

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/NH-tax-evader-gets-35-years-apf-1516310968.html?x=0&.v=1

CONCORD, N.H. (AP) -- A New Hampshire woman sentenced to 35 years in prison Friday for plotting to kill federal agents during a nine-month standoff at her fortress-like home said she will continue to fight government corruption from behind bars.

more at link

The pipe bombs and stuff probably weren't the greatest idea but it goes to show how the tax system is so screwed up. She gets 5 years for tax evasion plus another 35 for not bowing to The Man. An admitted tax evader is our Treasury secretary and runs the IRS. Messed up.

phill4paul
10-02-2009, 05:45 PM
So if I arm myself against home invasion, i.e. thief, then is it conspiracy to commit murder of said thief? Oh, never mind, they will probably just charge me w/ manslaughter, because I didn't choose to flee through two locked doors in my own home.

MelissaCato
10-02-2009, 07:51 PM
Jury nullification was needed.

Yes, I agree.

torchbearer
10-02-2009, 07:53 PM
the jury should be shot.

AdamT
10-02-2009, 07:55 PM
This is downright outrageous!! I hope they can appeal :mad::mad:

dude58677
10-04-2009, 11:38 AM
I can't believe this happened despite the Free State Project and the growing with the popularity of Ron Paul.