PDA

View Full Version : How John McCain helped make Sarah Palin look stupid

jmdrake
07-09-2009, 02:15 PM
Hello all,

First I'm NO Sarah Palin fan. But after reading some of the diatribes in the latest Sarah Palin thread I needed to get this off my chest. John McCain betrayed Sarah Palin and the rest of the GOP when he issued his "joint statement on the economy" with Obama and (grudgingly?) endorsed the Bush bailout. Further betrayal came from the McCain's failure to stand up for free market principles. McCain could have pointed out that corruption, theft and fraud are not part of the free market....except that as a member of the infamous "Keating five" he had been involved in his own share of corruption, theft and fraud.

So what does this have to do with Palin? Well the most embarrassing part of the Palin - Couric interview to me was this:

Couric: You've said, quote, "John McCain will reform the way Wall Street does business." Other than supporting stricter regulations of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac two years ago, can you give us any more example of his leading the charge for more oversight?

Palin: I think that the example that you just cited, with his warnings two years ago about Fannie and Freddie - that, that's paramount. That's more than a heck of a lot of other senators and representatives did for us.

Couric: But he's been in Congress for 26 years. He's been chairman of the powerful Commerce Committee. And he has almost always sided with less regulation, not more.

Palin: He's also known as the maverick though, taking shots from his own party, and certainly taking shots from the other party. Trying to get people to understand what he's been talking about - the need to reform government.

Couric: But can you give me any other concrete examples? Because I know you've said Barack Obama is a lot of talk and no action. Can you give me any other examples in his 26 years of John McCain truly taking a stand on this?

Palin: I can give you examples of things that John McCain has done, that has shown his foresight, his pragmatism, and his leadership abilities. And that is what America needs today.

Couric: I'm just going to ask you one more time - not to belabor the point. Specific examples in his 26 years of pushing for more regulation.

The fact is that McCain (McCan't?) had put Palin in the impossible position of trying to prove that he (McCain) supporter tougher regulation. Oh Palin has done enough on her own to make people question her intellect, but it's tough for even the smartest people in the word to defend such an indefensible position. Maybe if McCain had explained how government "picking winners and losers" by giving Fannie and Freddie special status had created much of the mess. Maybe if he had explained how Fannie and Freddie created most of the bad loan instruments that were later adopted by the rest of the industry. Maybe if he had been willing to point out the corruption of Henry Paulson bailing out Goldman Sachs when Paulson had 500 million invested with them. (Isn't that a conflict of interest?) Instead Palin was left to explain how John "Maverick" McCain had been pushing for more regulation...when he really hadn't and when he was now singing of the Obama "we clearly don't have enough regulation" song sheet.

Interesting thing about the Obama song sheet. During the initial crisis Obama kept saying "When your neighbor's house is on fire you don't try to find out the cause. You put the fire out." Well don't you need to know what kind of fire you are fighting? If you put water on a petroleum fire it makes the fire spread. Pour water on an electric fire and you'll get electrocuted. We've held NOBODY accountable during this entire mess (Bernie Madoff exception noted) and we've prevented the market from doing its job through the bailouts. The fire is spreading AND we are getting electrocuted. Had McCain had the guts to stand up and say this last year and opposed the bush bailout he'd be president right now. Then Palin could REALLY make us laugh.

Regards,

John M. Drake

lynnf
07-09-2009, 02:30 PM
I hate to have to tell you this, but when Palin was interviewed, who was it, by Katie Kouric? and looked like a deer caught in the headlights, McCain was nowhere around. she did it herself. she doesn't need McCain's help with that.

lynn

Elwar
07-09-2009, 02:35 PM
Did he call her while she was governor and make her pass huge spending bills? Or did she do that one on her own?

FreeTraveler
07-09-2009, 02:38 PM
She believes the world is 5000 years old. She doesn't need any help.

Liberty Star
07-09-2009, 04:37 PM
She doesn't need any help.

True lol

Media does hound her because she is easy victim and her being easy victim has something to do with her mimicking of talking points and her lack of convictions when called to explain her stances and views.

jmdrake
07-09-2009, 08:29 PM
She believes the world is 5000 years old. She doesn't need any help.

Well if your going to attack people for their personal religious beliefs I guess that rules out Ron Paul too. :rolleyes:

jmdrake
07-09-2009, 08:32 PM
I hate to have to tell you this, but when Palin was interviewed, who was it, by Katie Kouric? and looked like a deer caught in the headlights, McCain was nowhere around. she did it herself. she doesn't need McCain's help with that.

lynn

You're missing the point. I'm not saying she's bright (which is why I said how John McCain HELPED her look stupid.) John McCain put Palin in a lose-lose situation by running against his own record and not defending free market economics.

I tell you what. Here's a challenge to you or anyone else in this thread. Explain how you would answer Couric's question without attacking your own running mate.